Name Email

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default 4.7L Chrysler/Dodge Cams
For all those enthusiasts that have been emailing COMP Cams expressing concern over the lack of performance cams for the 4.7L Chrylser/Dodge engine ....we now have an update.

We have been in communication with Chrysler and confirmed that they will have their H.O. cams back on the shelf. We are told that this process is moving along quickly and we expect Chrysler will have their full offering of H.O. cams back in stock very soon.

We thank everyone for their valuable feedback
Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Is your company going to be regrinding these h/o cams to other specs?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Default 4.7l Performance Cams - Please Support The Cause And Make A Post!
I would first of all like to take a second to THANK COMP CAMS for taking a serious look at the 4.7L engine.

Even though the 4.7L is not found in any little cars, and its mainly found in 4000lb+ trucks & SUV's it is still an engine that makes killer power for its size and responds well to performance modifications. And since the 4.7L has been around since 1999-2009 installed in Jeeps, Dakotas, Durangos, & Rams this is a market that up until recently has had little aftermarket support.

Today we have many performance mods available for the 4.7L to include Forged Cranks, Ross Pistons, Scat Rods, ATI Dampers, COMETIC gaskets up to .060 (as of yesterday ), SCT tuning support, Race Ported Heads, Sullivan single plane Intake manifolds, and many other great parts. The thing we have lacked was the Cams to bring all those mods together. The H/O cams in my opinion where the only real option. The Regrinds just sacrificed too much low end torque to be useful in anything but the Dakotas with High stalls and 4.56 gears... <--- Which would be fun! But in the larger Rams they just made for a soft launch with a small gain on the top end.

Just to give you guys at COMP CAMS an idea of what the little 4.7L can do... I have to date run a best 1/8 mile time of 9.49. Mind you, this is in a Quad Cab 4.7L Ram in street trim... Yes DR's in the back but other then that I "Run what I Brung"! The HEMI Quad Cabs run 10.2's 10.3's at the same track same day. So we can already get more then HEMI power from a 4.7L without REAL cams... just think what we can do with REAL cams.

My question is, if you guys strike a deal with Chrysler to make the H/O cams, does this mean you will also be able to offer other grinds... Whats the angle here? H/O cams are great... but MANY of us need more then the H/O grind. I just ordered my 10:1 pistons and plan to add 10psi to the mix... an H/O cam will NOT be the best cam for that application, nor will a set of standard cams. <--- My goal is to run 9.0's or better N/A before I add boost! I feel with your help and the right cams we can accomplish this goal.

Thanks again for taking a look at this market... there is no question in my mind if it will be a profitable market for you guys... Its STARVED for real cams. Also, we sold approximately 3 sets of H/O cams a week...We only able to scratch the market... Im sure with your exposure you will be able to reach a million times the market then we can.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
2002 Dodge Ram QC 4.7L- 212 Cams, Race Ported Heads, Sullivan Intake, F&B Throttle Body, SCT Tune, JBA headers, ATI Super Damper, 2800 Stall converter, Sullivan Stage III trans/valve body, 4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H DR;s

5,000lbs NA
60' ....... 2.24
330 ...... 6.09
1/8 ...... 9.49@71.83
1000 ..... 12.42
1/4 ....... 14.99@89.29

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 09-11-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 owner checking in. Comp cams-listen to airram...the market is there for custom cams for the 4.7 application. There are litterally thousands of Jeep 4.7's on the market that are in need of customs grind cams. the HO cams from ChryCo just dont do it for the Jeep 4.7. Please consider a custom application for the 4.7 nation!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Default Thanks
I would like to thank Comp for taking the time to look at the 4.7.. I spoke to a Tech there the other day and telling him about my setup that I have currently and the one I am building now to shortly go in. I for one have ben running a supercharger for a few years and I personally will need real cams not regrinds to get the most out of my upcoming build.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 PM

Thank you Comp Cams for helping the 4.7 community in our quest for performance cams! As you know, we are starving for some real custom cams! Cams made for performance and quality! What we need to know is will you be making custom cams from the HO's? Maybe using them as a template?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks you COMP cams for looking in to this for us 4.7 guys. As everyone else was wondering will there be other grinds available or just the factory HO grind? If there are other grinds available for NA 4.7's with a nice increase in HP with out to much loss of low end I will be getting a set for sure
Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Thank you Comp Cams. I'm also running a cammed and supercharged 4.7L Dakota.
Having performance cams is essential for our builds, thank you. I'm hoping you can also make performance camsf i.e. 206, 212, 224 vice us having to rely on regrinds.

Once again, thank you.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM

While the Dodge HO cams are OK, I want more. I want to add a stoker kit, better intake, long tube header when someone finely makes them, and then ect, ect, ect.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM

Default 4.7l Performance Cams - Please Support The Cause And Make A Post!
Im just unclear of the update... Does this mean Comp is going to make the H/O cams or does it mean that Comp has convinced Chrysler to release the H/O 280+ some odd cams that have been on National back order for nearly 6 months?

Since we are on the subject, there was a rumor that Comp Cams is the manufacture of the H/O cams... I didn't believe it when somone mentioned you did it but hey, why not ask you guys direct... Are you guys the manufacture for the H/O cams already or are you guys trying to work out a deal with Chrysler to make the H/O cams?

Also, another reason we need real cams is because even with the RE-GRINDS we are forced to add "Lash Caps" to the valves to make up for the removal of material from the cam base during re-grinding... I personally don't like the idea of lash caps when I'm running 7,000+RPMS ... Heaven help me if for what ever reason one of those bad boys comes off... Sure they shouldn't come off but hey, allot of things should not happen... I would hate to have a follower fall off if a lash adjuster failed (LIFTER) and then lose a lash cap into the engine... that could cause some real issues should it find its way into the block. A set of REAL performance cams with the same base as factory would allow us to run more aggressive cams without the fear of losing a lash cap.

Thanks again guys... We are really excited you have taken interest.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
2002 Dodge Ram QC 4.7L- 212 Cams, Race Ported Heads, Sullivan Intake, F&B Throttle Body, SCT Tune, JBA headers, ATI Super Damper, 2800 Stall converter, Sullivan Stage III trans/valve body, 4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H DR;s

5,000lbs NA
60' ....... 2.24
330 ...... 6.09
1/8 ...... 9.49@71.83
1000 ..... 12.42
1/4 ....... 14.99@89.29

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 09-11-2009 at 12:26 AM.