Name Email

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Default 6x EZ TCU problems
I have recently installed my 6X trans with Ez-TCU. I am having problems with the TCU, and it seems to me that it is related to the set-up configuration. I have gone through the set-up wizard multiple times. After finishing all of the steps, it says to turn the key off for 10 seconds, then turn it back on. After turning the key off, the message on the screen of the handheld does not change. The only way that I can get that message to change is to remove the power to the handheld.
The trans seems to operate normally when the handheld is plugged in - it shifts through all of the gears. If I unplug the handheld, the trans will not shift out of first gear. It seems to me that the TCU is not able to operate without the handheld. Any ideas? I called the tech support line on Monday, and didn't receive a call back as I was promised. I called again on wednesday and was told that they would send an e-mail to someone upstairs and see if they have any ideas, but I have not heard back about that either.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM

We apologize for the lack of response. Not making excuses, but we have been short handed this week.

As far as the EZ TCU is concerned, this is very strange, because removing the controller should not affect the shifting characteristics, because all of the info that is inputted via the handheld unit, gets stored into the actual computer itself. They are two seperate units. So usually, you can remove the handheld completely and the programming is saved.

Are you absolutely sure your ground wire from the TCU harness is going straight to the battery and there are no potential interference issues going on?

Also, is your blue light on the computer itself staying solid? or does it flash rapidly when on. And what is the exact message you are getting at startup?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Yes, the ground is going directly to the battery.
The light on the TCU is a solid blue.
I have also checked for error codes, and there are none.
There is no message at start-up. The handheld shows the main menu screen.
The only thing that seems a little strange to me is that at the end of the set-up wizard, the screen says to turn the key off for 10 seconds. After turning the key off, this screen remains and the only way to get the handheld to change to any ohter screen is to remove the power from the handheld. When it is plugged back in, it goes back to the main menu.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM

I'm not sure when/where you got the controller, but it sounds like we need to either swap it out for a new computer & controller or to send us your units to have tested and possibly exchanged out.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM

I think I found my problem. The ground wire had come loose in the terminal. I think the TCU was using the handheld as the ground. Therefore, when it was disconnected the TCU didn't work. I haven't been able to road test it yet, but I think this may be the problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Yeah that might be a problem. Let us know if it doesn't fix it.