Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

8 Stack tuning issues with EZ-EFI

Discussion in 'Inglese Support Forum' started by Makeit, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Makeit

Makeit New Member

I have been trying to get this to work correctly for over a year. I have the Inglese 8 stack on a 289 HO SBF. It ran much better on the old Weber carbs so I know that it's not a mechanical or ignition issue.

The problem I'm having is that it's pig rich at low loads no matter what I do. I talked to Brian at FAST and he gave me some ideas on "tilting" the fuel map so it will run leaner at low load by running a different fuel pressure than actual. This got me slightly closer but I can't get a hold of him again (other FAST operators hung up on me when I asked for his extension).

The ecu is trying to trim the fuel -25% everywhere except idle where the active learning kicks in does fine. The AL rarely come on anywhere else in load or rpm. If I slowly rev it in neutral the AFRs drop into the 10s and 11s off idle. Cruising AFRs are in the 11s.

Are there other ways I can trick the ecu to get the rough shape of the basemap to work with this engine? Displacement size maybe? Right now it's set to 39/lb injectors (which are in it) and 45psi fuel pressure (35 actual) and this got it closer but still -25% trim all over. If I put 50psi in the tune it goes too lean at high load.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. Makeit

Makeit New Member

I tried some things today. Generally it's trying to trim -25% so I tried reducing the engine displacement by about a third. Now it's within 5% in low load areas but lean up top...so I set the FPR to 45 psi and programmed the dummy box to 35psi hoping longer PWM + 10psi of fuel would fatten the top end. It kinda did. 13.0 AFR up top but now it's more like -20% trims down low. I can't believe I have to try and hack this just to get my cruising AFRs leaned out to 12. What else can I mess with? Injector size?

3. Webby

Webby Member

Firstly I think you would get more help if you posted this on the FAST forum because it is the EZEFI which is adding way too much fuel and it would do so whatever intake system you had.
    -25% is the max fuel correction that the ECU can apply and you should not need to fudge anything to get it to work right.
    The question needs to be "Why is the EZEFI adding way too much fuel?" and the answer is "because it thinks it needs to" So what is making it think that?
    There are a number of things that could make this happen. Bear with me because I am 1000miles away from you and I can only make suggestions!
    ECU set wrongly. i.e. wrong type of inlet set in setup. (ECU thinks there are only 4 injectors maybe so double the fuel being injected)
    ECU is getting bad rpm signal (too high) and is again over injecting. Check rpm reads correct on handheld. Also check ERM counts which should be zero (anything else means interference in rpm signal) ERM counts are set to zero at key off and can count up rapidly from key on onwards.
    What is MAP reading at engine off and at idle? (Faulty MAP sensor thinks engine is loaded up when it is not)
    Is TPS reading correctly?
    Have you had injectors checked out? 1 or more could be stuck open.
    Finally I managed to damage my ECU by having a dodgy voltage at the cig lighter socket powering the handheld. This caused massive over fueling and required ECU repair.