Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Air temp sensor location in Weiand Single plane manifold?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by ken, Apr 29, 2018.

1. ken

ken New Member

Any suggestions on where and how? Just drill and thread a hole into the plenum under the throttle body? Maybe into the side of the plenum between the runners?

Attached Files:

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Many just install a short air cleaner spacer between the throttle body and the air cleaner, and thread the sensor into it. It should be on top of the throttle body

3. ken

ken New Member

Thanks,

The FAST instructions say to put the sensor in the plenum for speed density mode? It would be easier to use the spacer you suggest, and it seems like the air temp would be the same, but why does FAST say to put it into the plenum?

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I can't say what their reasoning is behind that in using speed density. If you had the 2.0 TBI, the sender is mounted in the very top of the TBI unit.

5. ken

ken New Member

Hi AA,

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Is there an aluminum threaded bung (right name?) I can have welded to the spacer between the air cleaner and throttle body? I'm not sure of the thread size, looks like 3/8 NPT?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a fitting with the correct threads from Summit Racing. It won't matter if it has external threads as you can weld it in. There are also a few air cleaner spacers available that already have the temperature bung installed.

7. ken

ken New Member

Can I just tap a 3/8 pipe thread in a 1 inch throttle body as in this photo, or is it better to have a bung welded to the spacer? I can't find any spacers with the bung installed.

Attached Files:

8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

If the metal is thick enough to thread and hold it securely, I see no reason not to do it this way.

9. ken

ken New Member

Hi AA,

I tapped the spacer and it looks good. The sensor came with some sealer on the threads, but I'm wondering if I should use red loctite?

Ken

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

As long as the fit is snug, the sealer that came on the threads should be all you need. The main things are it looks and works good. You'll likely never need to remove the sensor from the spacer. :)

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Some RTV sealer would probably be best if you ever remove the sealer that came on the sensor threads.