Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Another data point for a single plane vs dual plane

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by gremlinmt, Apr 11, 2018.

1. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

Way back in 2013, I installed a EZ-EFI 1.0 on my Chrysler LA 360 motor. This engine is a very basic, 430/444 lift - 268/276 duration cam. It had a Performer dual plane manifold. MSD streetfire, stock distributor with vac advance. This engine never ran correctly. Endless hunting for vacuum leaks, every combination of timing that I could think of. I even dropped in a 1 inch spacer under the throttle body. The closest to a functional engine I could get was with an 800 rpm idle, a 12.4:1 AFR at idle, 13 degrees of base timing, 34 degrees all in. This ran OK when warm but would load up and die on a cold startup. Any leaner and the idle was unstable when warm. This combination would give me 13 inches of vacuum at idle when hot. This had a host of other problems as well. 800 RPM idle is pushing so hard that in icy conditions you can't modulate the brakes, the rear end keeps turning.

This last weekend I replaced the manifold with a Torker II. Max idle vac occurs at 13.2 afr. Cold starts are amazing with no problems. Idling at 700 rpm, smooth as silk. I'm currently running 18 degrees of base timing with the vac advance hooked up to manifold vac for 28 degrees at idle.. 34 degrees all in. Now I've got 18 inches of vac at idle. I wish i'd done this change years ago. Hot or cold, the engine is strong and stable at all RPMs.

Go to a single plane. You won't regret it.