Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Anyone have a tip for crank sensor for ATI balancer w/magnets?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Caprimaniac, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Caprimaniac

Caprimaniac Member

Alright.... I'm considering a ATI balancer With built in crank sensor magnets for my 302 Ford. I Currently run a setup With Explorer reluctor Wheel, and the sensor for this (also OEM Ford) cannot be used With the magnets type triggering, as far as I know...?

The engine will also have a Jesel beltdrive, if that matters.....

It will use a XFI 2.0/ XIM setup and LS- coils. I figure the balancer will have 4 magnets setup 50 degrees BTDC as this is campatible With thw XIM, right?

2. Turbobitt

Turbobitt Member

Holley sells a hall effect sensor that will work with magnets. Probably can use an ordinary MSD inductive as well. And yes will be compatible with XIM. To be honest I would consider using a 60-2 wheel. I found on my V6 with 120 degrees between each signal on the factory trigger wheel and the calculations involved to fire the coils at the appropriate time at cranking RPM that the startup wasn't really as good as I liked and the 60-2 wheel fixed that issue.
    AG.

3. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Holley part # 554-118 is a Hall Effect direct replacement for the MSD inductive sensor. Its the way to go.

4. Caprimaniac

Caprimaniac Member

Thank you all.

OK, so a resoultion issue? I figure the FAST trigger is also 4 magnets....

I run the 60-2 Wheel right now, and all good.
    I'm after making the front of the engine more compact; no reluctor Wheel and even, if possible, a pulley Integrated in the Balancer. However ATI does not list that option with a serpentine pulley for the SBF, but I'll look into that.

I could have more magnets stuffed into the balancer, but as far as I understand..... XIM will read 1-4 only?

5. Turbobitt

Turbobitt Member

I'm a little confused, if your running a 60-2 wheel now what are you running it on? Also are we talking about the XIM ignition or the XFI ?
    The XIM will support several OEM 60-2 and 36-1 OEM strategies. If you look through the XIM instructions in the help file you will see a list of OEM strategies. The only issue with running these is you have to know precisely where to put the wheel as there is little flexibility and online fine adjustments. And yes I had some mild resolution issues that lead to nuisance issues while startup with the OEM 3 pulse trigger wheel but a 4 pulse may be fine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. Caprimaniac

Caprimaniac Member

Oh, Mr Bitt.... You got confused. What I have now is something else than what I might run in the future.... Yes, XIM now With 60-2 (Ford), and it Works well.

Yes, I am somewhat familiar With the different strategies. As far as I have figured, and I might be wrong, you can only og With 1,2,3 or 4 magnet setup (coming in @50 deg BTDC), is this correct, yes? (I'm referiing to the XIM manual and the DIP setting involved...)

OK; so some issues at 3. Who has ran 4 With success?

7. Turbobitt

Turbobitt Member

Like I was trying to say, You have more options than 1,2,3,or 4 pickups. See below. And yes, I am confused. If you are already running a 60-2 wheel on an XIM you already know you can run more than 1,2,3 or 4 magnets.... Am I missing something ? Just trying to help....
    XIM.JPG