Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Arcing coil wire connection?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by sschroeder, Jun 4, 2018.

1. sschroeder

sschroeder New Member

Here's a strange question... If the connection from the coil wire to the distributor cap is not tight, could it be loose enough to arc inside the boot but still allow the engine to run OK? And if he answer to that is yes, how hot do you think it would get?

Here's the reason for the question. We've got an XFI Sportsman on a psuedo race car. It's the full monty... CD ingnition, dual sync distributor, computer, etc. Everything from FAST. Today, we started the car, had it running for about 3-4 minutes then shut it off. About 5 minutes later we saw smoke coming from under the hood. We popped the hood and found all of the boots on the sparkplug wires at the distributor were on fire. (it's on a Ford 351w) We put the fire out and started investigating. Everything seems to be working fine. All the switches work. Nothing was burned other than the sparkplug wire boots. Even the distributor cap isn't charred. All wiring is intact. I checked the voltage at the coil and it is 0 when the switch is turn is turned off, so I know the switch is good.

Any thoughts anyone? It's the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Steve