Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Before you buy any Self Learning EFI system, please read!

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by pbp1, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Thank you for the speedy response!

Are the XFI systems self-learning and self-tuning?

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Yes, both the XFI Sportsman and XFI 2.0 systems offer the option of adaptive learning (like the EZ EFI models), plus they allow it to be turned off as needed (a desirable feature the EZ EFI models lack). XFI models do, however, require the use of a computer for setup.

If interested, you might like to download the CCOM Software and study it. Fastmanefi.com offers tuning help and sells systems ready to start working with. Give Richard a call - his number is at his website.

3. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Thank you sir, very helpful info. I'll have a hard look at it all.

4. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

so...OUCH! The XFI Sportsman system plus the EDash as an add-on that I'd want puts the system over three grand, not including my fuel system.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

XFI Sportsman 2.0 TBI kit is $2700 at fastmanefi.com. You should be able to finish the fuel system for under $300 - and capable of supporting 1200 HP. The XFI E-Dash isn't necessary. Horsepower with good performance cost.

6. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Mr. AA, if I used the XFI Sportsman system with the E-Dash, can I setup the system using adaptive learning just like the EZ2 system and not need a laptop for setup?

My fuel system will total about $700 when all is done.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The E-Dash will not set up the Sportsman, it will only allow some changes like swapping between different stored fuel maps and provides some monitoring with its gauge readings. A computer must be used for set up on both the XFI Sportsman and the XFI 2.0.

Since your engine only makes 600 horsepower, $700 for the fueling system is just overkill. Even using the FAST in-tank pump rated for 1200 horsepower, that's more than you need to spend using a new tank, larger metal lines, 8-AN fittings, and regulator with gauge. All of this can easily be purchased through Summit. The Fast SKU: 307503T is currently only $488.59. It's up to you as to how much you want to spend on the fuel system. Summit Racing can provide you with everything needed for less.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  8. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

I see, I was hoping for the XFI Sportsman system to be as easy as the self-learning EZ2 system. I suppose it's self-learning AFTER it's set up.

"Only" 600HP, I'd like to think in the future I'll be changing this motor. It was "Wow! 600HP!!" when I built it in the mid 80's.

I'm getting a Tanks, Inc. sumped tank with a pump good for a possible 1,000HP engine.

I'm well aware where to procure needed items, often at less cost that the usual resellers.

Thank you A A for your help in all this, I'm back on the fence about which TB FI system to go with. The EZ2 is what I want but it obviously doesn't have the ability to function at lower vacuum as the XFI system can. This simple inability is making me again take a hard look at the other brands on the market. Also making it less attractive is it, unlike the EZ2, will need to be set up.

[​IMG]

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

What you'll find with other system brands is they are less up-front with requirements. If you intend to go with 1000 horsepower in the future, I would go with the XFI 2.0. It offers more parameters with detonation control and other options. With high horsepower, the ability to fully customize a tune is most important. FAST XFI offers this.

My small block 406 Chevy makes just over 500 horsepower in a 1985 TA with a Fairbanks turbo 400. It was difficult getting it tuned well with an EZ EFI 2.0 TBI due to my idle vacuum being right at the threshold. An XFI Sportsman would have simplified the entire process. The engine made 490 horsepower with an Air Gap style dual plane intake, but cylinder fueling was uneven. A Vic Jr. was later required in order to get a proper tune with the EZ EFI 2.0. With FAST F.I., the car is a sweet driver - more like an OEM car in traffic, but with large G-forces available instantly.

If you do go with a FAST XFI system, know in advance a single plane intake is a requirement for best performance.

10. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Thank you sir, very informative. I'm running a Lingenfelter modified Dart intake.

11. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

Lake Havasu City AZ.. but mostly travel tuning
    Good choice on the Tanks Inc, we are a dealer for them and their pump/tank combos are a good way to go for what you have.

12. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Friends, I'm happy to say that after 22 years, today I started my engine, running it long enough with a carb and HEI just to get a vacuum reading.

I'm delighted to say it pulls about 15 inches at idle speed.

I suppose the cam tech I spoke with at Comp Cams a few weeks ago was wrong, he predicted no better than 3 inches. I gave him the cam number, not it's specs and with his instant response, he certainly didn't look it up.

Now I need to know why the EZ2 system is better for me then the Holley Sniper at one third the cost. Good enough reasoning and I'll go for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  13. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Anybody? Hello??

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

#1) the cam you listed is for 11.0:1 compression - not optimized for an engine with 10.0:1
    #2) you failed too show what RPM the engine had 15 inches of vacuum at
    #3) the Sportsman is still going to be the best ECU for any 600 HP capable engine - especially if upgrades for more horsepower are planned in the future.
    #4) even with an automatic transmission, a high enough "idle" for 15" of vacuum, and enough stall speed, the EZ 2.0 would never allow upgrades for a reliable 1000 horsepower - despite having a fuel system capable of 1200 horsepower.

15. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Thank you for that sir.

The cam was part of a 496 inch/600 HP 10:1 kit put out by John Lingenfelter many years ago. It has worked well for me with the heads and intake he ported.

The 15 inches was shown at about 700 RPM, slightly low for where this engine likes to be when tuned.

Sir, I believe you just sent me an email, it got deleted, would you be so kind to please re-send it?

16. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That was probably the FAST forum notification making you aware there was a new post here. The email is automatic and only contains a duplicate of the post.

With fuel injection, the idle will be much better at 700-750 RPM than it is with a carb - more torque.

17. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Yes, that's what it was, the first notification I've received.

So, it's looking like my combination is good for a self learning system such as the EZ 2.0. I understand that if down the line, if I replace this motor with a more capable mill, I should be considering a XFI system.

For the time being, self learning it is. Now I'd like to know the EZ 2.0's advantages over the Sniper-or, am I asking this in the wrong section?

Thanks again!

18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I've had zero problems with the EZ EFI 2.0 TBI systems using single plane intakes. You just need to get the correct heat range sparkplugs and adjust the AF minimally. The timing will also take a few tweaks. All is dependent on the fuel you use. Once dialed in, you don't need to do anything else - if you follow the supplied installation instructions closely.

The EZ EFI 2.0 ECU is more advanced than any TBI integrated ECU. The EZ EFI 2.0 Throttle Body System includes an 8 injector TBI capable of supplying up to a 1200 horsepower engine. The 2.0 TBI also works fine with XFI Sportsman and XFI 2.0 ECU systems.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  19. A A

A A Well-Known Member

There was one problem with my first EZ EFI 2.0 - but it was due to the vehicle electrical system and not the FAST system. It caused a handheld rebooting issue that I corrected with a filter capacitor added to the ECU ignition +12 volt ignition wire - no big deal once I recognized the issue.

20. Paul Bell

Paul Bell New Member

Fair enough. I'm intrigued that the EZ 2.0 has a fuel pressure sensor. What function does this perform?