Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

changing harness

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by jaros44sr, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Denis

Denis Member

Here is a link for the MSD filter cap being sold by summit:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8830?seid=srese1&gclid=CNSg5a3Ky7kCFYs1QgodM3AAyw

The MSD price seems a little steep. However on ebay I found a 29,000uf, 25V capacitor for about $6 that would do the job. It is 2 inches in diameter by 4 inches long. See:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MALLORY-CAP...ultDomain_0&hash=item257d7956eb#ht_1776wt_913

Do not go any bigger on the capacitors as the inrush charging current can blow fuses. Mounting the capacitors can be a pain. I try to use tie wraps and if there is nothing to tie them to, screw down small length of aluminum angle stock with tie wraps under it and wrap them around the cap to hold it against the aluminum.

If you look at the engine compartment photo of my car in my profile here on the forum you will see the grey capacitor mounted with tie wraps just to the left of the MSD ignition box.

2. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

info.

Denis, that you for taking the time to source out parts for me, i think ill go with the Summit as money has never been a consideration with this build.....as long as the CFO allows;)

Not your fathers Olds, that looks sweet! Had a '67 convertible, 442 in high school, same blue color interior....now you got me thinking turbo

Where can i find more pics?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013
  3. Denis

Denis Member

No turbo, just a home brew intake setup with very good airflow.

Got the car new in 1965, yep, I am an old fart too.

4. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

Oh, ok, went back and looked at the pic, nice setup! Welcome to the old farts club......:)

5. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

on star

is it possible to hook up on star system to XFI2.0, would to be able to kill engine if the truck was stolen....

6. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

on star

lack of response must mean it it not possible....

7. Denis

Denis Member

I think that it would be quite easy to do. On my car I have my alarm system setup so that if it is tripped the electric fuel pump is disabled until I reset the alarm. You should be able to do something that disables any of the following, fuel pump, ignition or starter. Just put a relay in line that is normally closed and set it up so that a signal from onstar latches it in the on position. You will need to find out what kind of output onstar has to do the interface. For example if they send out a signal that holds an output at ground then you can connect 12V to the relay and the onstar output grounds the relay coil turning it on and disconnecting what ever you have the relay connected to.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  8. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

Lake Havasu City AZ.. but mostly travel tuning
    Even easier just put a blank tune into another position. In the ecu so when selected the car will not run. Hide the switch and it won't matter what other stuff they can hot wire it won't run.

9. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

Both sound like very good viable options, thank you for taking the time to think about it....but,dont understand what a blank tune is. Are you saying that the 2.0 can accept multiply tunes, wasnt aware of that! So, you would hook up a switch (+ or -) depending on on star with a blank tune

10. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

OK, i want to go in a differant direction sorta.....

Can my XFI 2.0, with dual sync distri.and a crank trigger support a COP igntion system. Possibly using wasted spark. If so, how?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  11. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

change in direction....XIM with coil near plugs. wonder if i now have to go back and change my wiring at cam/hall connecter since i wont be using crank trigger and MSC box

BTW, im using a dual sync dist. in my SBC 350

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

anyone know where i can buy a female connecter, one like the one being used on the xfi harness at the cam/hall effect. FAST doesnt have one(weird)
    any help would be great

i want to tie into my dual sync(crank and cam signal) and use the male connecter

13. Denis

Denis Member

Am curious why you are considering the XIM. A TPI engine is RPM limited so you ignition requirements would be easily met with the MSD box and a conventional ignition. From my prospective you will end up spending a bunch with little gain. Additionally, regardless of what ignition you use a crank trigger is better than using the distributor as the trigger signal source because of the increased accuracy of the crank trigger. I have compared the output of my crank trigger and the distributor using a dual trace scope and there is a lot of variation in the timing coming form the distributor.

14. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

Denis, i always value your input, and thank you for all the help youve provided to me over the years, and yet again you provide valid points! But, the crank trigger has just gotten in the way with the pump of my dry sump system that i want to use( steep inclines). So, one has to go, and i choose the trigger over blowing up my engine

i agree with a more accurate reading, but im not sure if it would work underwater or covered in mud, plus the fact of getting rid of noise from the rotor and cap.should clean up my compartment w/o all those ugly spark plug wires

im not sure about the rpm, maybe you could enlighten me.....
    i think i can still go back to the crank trigger if need be, all parts are in house, so there is no turning back on the XIM. im really a points and carb kinda guy, so im just trying to broaden my horizens.

15. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

denis, ill reconsider, if i can mount the crank trigger high on the drivers side.....thank you for pointing that out

16. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

OK Denis, found out i can flop my fast mount over to the drivers side, but what do i do with the crank leads coming off the XIM harness. cam leads are going to the dual sync

17. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

XIM harness changed at 30pin connecter......A2 looped to B1

A1 ipu crank output goes to dicreet connecter at crank lead, by moving yellow wire from A2 up to A1

A3 tach output, brown/white, also goes crank out put (F) at the cam/hall connecter

thats the changes im making to get the crank trigger to work from inductive to discreet
    ?????????????

all this help was provided by fastman efi

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  18. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

got a question......is a digital ground the same as a power ground? Reason i ask is because i am in the process of hooking up my crank trigger on my XIM, and the only ground at the harness in this location is a digital ground. Pin A will be red, and Pin B will be black, diregarding the pink wire at that same location in the harness

Any help.......

19. Denis

Denis Member

Hook up the crank trigger to the digital ground and you should be fine.

I got a little lost when reading what you said in your June 1 post as the connections you are making is to loop the discrete crank input and leave the inductive crank input active for an inductive pickup. However you mention that you want to make the crank sensor go from inductive to discrete so the question is what kind on sensor are you using?

If it is inductive connect it to Red, A1 and to digital ground such as the Black/white wire going to B1 and the wiring you mention in your June 1 post is correct.

20. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

thanks for the reply.....yeah, i get crossed up in the terminoligy between discreet and inductive. since i have to loop the crank output on the XFI, i want to use that cable to connect my crank trigger to A1on my XIM box, has the right connecter. just think it will be a cleaner install