Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Coil Near Plug Questions

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Dart67, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Dart67

Dart67 Member

I have recently acquired a F.A.S.T. XIM and harness to use with my XFI 2.0 on my 512 big block 1967 Dodge Dart GT convertible "Home-Brewed" to convert it to Coil Near Plug.

I have made my own adapter to use a 4.0L Jeep Cam Position sensor.

I have also had a steel 36 -1 Trigger wheel made and have made my own adapter to mount it to a March Serpentine crank pulley.
    I have a MSD 4 magnet trigger wheel. It will not work with my harmonic balancer and March Serpentine crank pulley. The pulley is moved out 5/8". I do not want to space my water pump pulley out that far for fear of putting too much load on the bearings.

I am using an MSD crank trigger sensor mount.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced Hall Effect Sensor for use with the Ferrous (steel) trigger wheel that can be mounted in the MSD bracket.

Also when setting the XIM DIP switches. Will I set them 1 - 1 - 0 - 1 Ford Mod, 3 Valve* 36-1 (5 tooth cam)?

I have the missing tooth at TDC and the sensor set on the fifth tooth

Can the XIM harness wiring to the coils be ran in the same firewall gorment as the XFI wiring?

I am "Rebuilding" the XIM harness per the 301312 harness schematic for use with GM coils.

I also need to know where to pickup the Tach signal to use with my Aeromotive Fuel Pump Speed Controller.

Thanks, Herb aka "Dart67"

Attached Files:

2. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Well-Known Member

Use the Holley 554-118 Hall Effect sensor.
    Set the switches for ONE cam pulse.
    Tach signal is the Discreet Crank signal going into the XFI from the XIM.
    Yes, the cables can share the same grommet.

3. Fastmanefi

Dip switches should be 1011 for 1 tooth cam.
    Also crank ref is 60 degrees for the ford 36x so the crank tooth should be on tooth #6 not #5.

4. Dart67

Dart67 Member

Rich,

Thanks for the reply.

So I will set the XIM DIP Switch 1 - 4 to 1-0-1-1 and Switch 5 - 8 to 1 - 1 - 0 - 1. Is that correct?

The Holley 554-118 Hall Effect sensor description says it will not work with my ferrous wheel.

P/N 554-118 is designed as a drop-in sensor replacement for flying magnet crank trigger setups using a 3/4-16" threaded magnetic sensor. This sensor is a Hall Effect sensor, meaning it outputs a square wave signal, which is ideal for use with most Electronic Fuel Injection Systems. This sensor is to only be used with a trigger wheel with "flying magnets". It does not detect a ferrous steel target.

What about the Holley PART# 554-124 or something similar?

Do you know of a lower cost alternative?

The tach signal would be the XIM 30 - A3. Correct?

Herb

5. Fastmanefi

Oops. You are correct. The 554-118 is for magnets, not ferris. I use 554-124 for my 36X wheels but is a smaller thread.
    Yes on rhe pin.

6. Dart67

Dart67 Member

We must have been typing at the same time..

I was wondering about the crank ref at 60 degrees.. That was going to be another question.. Thank You.

7. Dart67

Dart67 Member

I guess it is OK to "tap" into this to feed both the XFI and tach ?

I think I have read that the XFI Gray 32 pin 14 can be use also? Is that correct?

Herb

8. Fastmanefi

Yes. Tapping in to that pin 8 signal is fine. Usually using pin 14 will work as well, but I have seen cases where the pin 14 signal was erratic. Try it ... you have options... LOL