Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Comm errors on XFI Sportsman

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by sschroeder, Apr 13, 2017.

  1. sschroeder

    sschroeder New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklalhoma
    I have a new XFI Sportsman installed on a purpose built race car. Most of it seems to be working OK, but when I try to monitor the system on my laptop while driving the car, I keep getting comm errors that lock up the program or at least shut down the logging. It all works fine at idle, but once I start driving, especially when I accelerate heavily, it quits working. That makes if extremely difficult to see what changes I need to make.

    I'm guessing the USB cable is picking up interference from the system that is causing the problem. I've tried using an expensive shielded USB cable and that seemed to help a little bit but only a little.

    I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem, and if so, what you did to fix it.

    Steve
     
  2. Denis

    Denis Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2009
    Location:
    Mendocino County, Northern Calif
    If you are running a Lenovo laptop, some had a hard drive protection feature that would shut the drive off from viberation and G force and as a result kill the USB. I was told that it was a USB issue until I discovered the problem. As I recall that feature showed up in the system tray. Only time it happened was when racing.
     
  3. sschroeder

    sschroeder New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklalhoma
    UPDATE... I seem to have fixed the problem. I did several things, so I don't know what was the actual fix. Here's what I did.
    1. I moved the main bundle of wires coming out of the ECU so that they all went to the other side of the ECU from the USB jack. That way the USB cable didn't cross the main trunk of wires.
    2. I used a high dollar, shielded USB cable.
    3. I ran the USB cable through a piece of copper pipe, hoping to provide a little more insulation
    4. I reinstalled the USB drivers, using the file posted on this site in 2012.
    5. I changed the USB port settings, as suggested in the instructions for the Sportsman.

    I ran the car this weekend for about 20 minutes and had no problems. The log file ran the entire time and never shut down.

    Steve
     

Share This Page