Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Dual plane vs Single plane Intake

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Matthew Jones, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones New Member

Just a heads up for everybody, I changed my small block Chevy to a single plane intake and it resolved just about all of my issues with the EZ EFI. The engine is a 383, 10:1, Iron Eagle heads, and 224 degree roller cam ground on 106.

With the Performer RPM, it always it some off-idle lean issues that I battled for about 8 years. Light throttle tip in was also lean, as well as post shift (as soon as the trans shifted the engine would hesitate just a bit). Don't get me wrong, the car was enjoyable with the dual plane but it was never quite right. I tried everything to correct it and made several calls to tech support but nothing helped.

With the single plane, everything has changed. No more lean spots, great throttle response and I was able to pull some fuel out of idle and cruise targets. For those of you who have issues like mine, get a single plane on there as soon as you can.

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Be sure to revisit your timing as well. Single plane intakes also typically will allow more initial idle timing and lower EGT in the exhaust manifold. The changes to the timing and leaner F/A mixes will also improve power and mileage.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

Agreed, single plane is much better. I'm still getting a dipping idle on decel to a stop light, it's worst when intake air temperatures are very high (110F+). I'd welcome any suggestions on how to fixing this issue. Current idle setting is 750rpm. Making about 17-18 inches of vacuum in park, 14 inches in gear. 13.1 afr at idle. 14.0 at cruise. 12.8 WOT. 16 degrees of advance idle, 16 on the plate all in at 3200 rpm and another 10 on the vac advance. Hooked up to manifold vacuum.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Vacuum timing looks good. Try 18 degrees initial timing with slope all-in at 4000. Raising the slope alone may stop the problem after the maps have time to reset. You shouldn't be running an all-in slope at 3200 unless running race gas and having a light vehicle weight.

After the timing change, WOT may need to be 12.7 and A/F idle and cruise should accept leaner settings.

5. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

I'll give that a try, thank you.