Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

E85 tune help

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by gmhardwick66, Jul 2, 2016.

1. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I just switched to E85 and went through the set up wizard. Engine runs way smoother and a bit cooler. But the power isn't what I expected. I am using the default AFR targets and running 38 degrees timing. I was running an AR 3910 plug and it's ok but swapped to an AR 3932 this morning and power seems a bit lower. The plugs are difficult to read so still learning that. I guess I was expecting more. I live in the south and the heat is killer and the heat is the reason for the swap to the E85. The engine is a sbc 385 Lunati stroker with 11.38 cr. Using the EZ EFI 2.0
    Any tips on tune adjustment is apriciated.

Attached Files:

2. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

The AR3910 is a projected tip . And the engine seems to like it better hence it starts up fine from cold engine and it doesn't do that with the AR3932 plug. It's a non-projected tip. I guess I read the Autolite heat range chart wrong as I thought it showed the 3932 in a colder bracket. I did see the projected tip only in a 3910 and 3911 with the 3910 being the colder of the two as far as the projected tip goes. Which is better with the ethanol ? Projected or non-projected? Thank you A.A.

3. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I looked at the NGK cross reference for the AR 3910 and it shows a NGK 5672A-9
    From what I can tell the NGK number gets colder with higher number??? So there is a NGK5672A-10, its a projected tip similar to the AR's projected "power tip". If this is correct then I can pick a set up and see how those perform. As always.... Thank you A.A.

4. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Well today was a good day driving it. I have the acell fuel at 0 and it starts and idles fine while it's cold. But after the engine is up to temp and I stop it for a while , as I attempt to crank warm engine I have to spin it several turns and give it a bit of throttle... Maybe half throttle. It won't start with out opening the throttle blades. I have went up and down a number on the acell and I'm still not sure which is the best direction or if there is another issue all together?

5. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I just got off phone with the NGK tech guy "Mike". Wow he was super nice and really seemed very knowledgeable and willing to help. I told him the plug I was using and he ask a few questions on static compression and was engine naturally asperated and the details of my ignition system. He said the AR3910 was to cold for the E85 and to cold for the gas I was running before. He recommended a BKR7E (stock # 4644). Also a resistor plug and to gap at .035"
    As always I can't tell you A.A. how helpful you've been. I plan on picking up a set and reset wizard and leave all targets as the default setting and just drive and let it learn as you recommended. Thanks again!!!

6. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Well today is really first day to put a few miles on new plug and also wizard reset. Engine ran ok but definitely hotter temp with these new plugs. To hot for my liking. Also for some odd reason my "actual" AFR reading is bouncing from 11 down to 8 range erratically. This happens in idle and cruise ranges. Haven't checked the WOT yet. I checked my throttle body flange nuts and intake manifold bolts for looseness and they are still tight. PCV hose is tight and vacuum hose to the Tranny is also snug fitting so I can find any vacuum leaks. Header bolts are tight too. I haven't checked the collector flange yet.... It's hot now. I have locking fasteners on them but I will still check them in a bit. Do you think I could go one heat range colder using the same ngk plug? I haven't pulled the plugs yet to check reading but like I said my engine temp is much hotter than it was with the AR3910 plug.????

7. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

A.A. I know you said earlier that I need a colder plug and the only reason I put the hotter plug I have in it at the moment was by the tech guys recommendation at NGK. So you were probably right on the colder plug call.

8. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I just checked collector on the O2 sensor side and it was tight. I found no source of a possible vacuum leak as to the fluctuation of AFR actual reading. Also pulled plugs and I am hoping you can help with the reading of them. They all were very close is appearance.

Attached Files:

9. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

What are your thoughts on the NGK R5672A plugs?? I think they have a colder plug range and a 5/8" socket size too.

10. Denis

Denis Member

Actually, I would be inclined to use a resistor plug because it does reduce electrical noise which on some EFI installations is a serious problem. Same thing applies to solid wire spark plug wires, do not use them with EFI.

11. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Ok thanks for the advice. I will try the -8 plug. May take a few days to get but is there a preference between the R5672A-8 vs the BK series plug other than resistor or non resistor?? Which is better? I don't have a radio.
    Now as I said earlier my actual AFR was all over the place while at idle and light cruise during this last plug testing. I don't recall it doing it with the AR 3910 plug. Is it possible it was fluctuating due to it being a tad on the warm side causing a lean condition??? With the proper heat range should this issue go away? Like I said I checked every where for a possible vacuum and exhaust leak.

12. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I just got off the phone with "Mike at NGK tech line" and we went over the scenario once again and he didn't say anything about the BKR8 plug but said if I wasn't concerned with resistor vs non resistor then he would recomend the R5671A-8 plug. I am gonna pick them up at Advance Auto this afternoon and try them. I am bound to get this right!!! Thanks guys!!

13. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I just got the new plugs in and didn't realize until I picked them up that they are NOT a projected tip like the previous BKR7 plug was. I wonder why the tech guy suggested the non projected tip . Any ways I checked gap and all were .032" out of the box and installed and did a wizard reset. I only started engine and let it warm up to temp and set the IAC. I will drive it tomorrow. I tell you this Louisiana heat is bad!!!

14. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

What tires are you using ? Is it a track car or street and track? Sounds like you are having fun!! If you can and don't mind post a picture of your TA. I have a friend that has a 76 or so that's been converted to track only. Got a sbc400 with a turbo 400 that's been tubbed out with all sheet metal interior. Been sitting for years now. He wanted 2,000$ for it. He lives in the country and no one ever sees the car and he never has advertised and not needing the money , well the car has just been sitting. Basically ruining in my opinion . It's a good track car if that's what a person wants. I like the ideal of having a street truck that's strong and taking it to track to just see how well it does. It's a great feeling knowing you built this machine and it runs really good.

15. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

This is my 68 C10

Attached Files:

16. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

I been trying to fabricate hood scoops for my hood. I want something different that every other Joe has on his truck and had to be functional as well. I'm no body guy at all!!! As you can tell... Lol

17. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Man sounds like you have a dream car !! A bit of a sleeper...
    What was your first car that you said you still have?
    I am disabled and spend all my time working on my truck. I have seen the standard cowl hoods and wanted a different look. I really like that Key Part hood with the little vents but after going to their site I wasn't able to find that particular hood for a 1968.
    Another E85 question. Are you burning it now in your TA? I am doing because of the heat in the south but if I can get all the bugs worked out then I will continue even after the summer.

18. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Well I'm glad to hear your still able to work on your dreams. Sounds like you have had a life time of owning/driving/restoring the most desired cars of the early muscle car erra. You are quite a bit older than me as I was born in 1966. The car that lit the fuse for my desire to mechanic and enjoy the art of hot rodding was a Ford Comet... Could have been a Maverick but I just remember my uncle from Mobile Al. had it and he took me for a ride in it ad I trembler the shifter between the bucket seats!!!! Wow I thought it was the fastest car ever. It was a black car with silver strips. Anyway I appreciate your help and taking the time to tell me about your car adventures.
    I plan on driving truck a bit today and will give you an update on plug readings. I'm hoping it runs good and at same time cools down a bit.
    Have you ever been to the "Crusing the Coast" event? I've never been but am thinking of going this year. I have family in Ocean Springs and in Mobile so me and the wife are talking about going this year to the event and also do some fishing in gulf

19. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Well I just took truck out or I tried to. It ran like crap. It wouldn't stay in the "Learn" mode. Engine temp came up as normal and the green learn light would come on for about 3-4 seconds and go out. My actual AFR was all over the place. The green O2 sensor light was on the whole time as far as I could tell. I DID do a wizard reset when I changed plugs a few days ago but I'm just now getting a chance to drive it. I have NO error lights on on the ecu or dash display. I haven't done anything to my wiring or battery in a while. Had 14.5 volts on display as usual. My ecu is run directly off the post of battery,. Please help if you can. Should I start another conversation with the "no learning issue"?

20. gmhardwick66

gmhardwick66 Member

Today is first time I've driven truck since we talked about the plugs in the previous post. I called ngk tech guy again and he recomended the R5671A-8. It's a non projected non resistor plug. I haven't pulled any of them yet. Motor cooling. I tried the BRk7 plug and it was a bit hot as per pictures above so that led me to the R567-8 plug. I've never had the non learning issue before today. And I had just check all of my intake /exhaust for leaks. You mentioned the some time issue using the non resistor plug earlier.... Could this be the problem? Also I read some of your other post and you talked about alternator voltage spikes???? My screen showed 14.5 every time I looked at it but is this a possibility? I did choose the E85 fuel. My afr targets are the default e85 targets. I have run Autolite 3910 and I think they are a non resistor plug.... I did not have issues with those. I also didn't not have issues with the NGk BRK7 .