Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

ECU and main harness locations for Pantera?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by ken, Apr 6, 2018.

1. ken

ken New Member

Seems like the main harness is intended for a front engine? I thought about putting the EXU behind the passenger seat and running the cables through the rocker panel, but other wires are there and worried about interference, and if long enough.

Maybe just mount to the firewall and cut a hole through the firewall cover to expose the ECU, and run the cables through the firewall?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Pantera engine bays tend to run warm, so find a place in the vehicle interior to mount the ECU and also the CD box - at least a foot away from each other with their wiring and other vehicle wiring not run parallel. You'll also want to keep their wires away from the distributor. Once installed, you really don't need to see the CD box or the ECU. Be sure to twist all the main power wires for the boxes, and the coil primary wiring.

3. ken

ken New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The wires in the FAST main harness don't seem suitable for a mid engine car so I want to build my own harness. I bought the FAST ECU connectors and most the others, but not sure what wire to use. I'm thinking cross-link to deal with heat, but want to confirm the nearly all the wires are 22 and 20 ga? Also, there are regular insulation, thin, and extra thin, not sure if this make any difference?

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Use wires rated for 600v. Match the wire gauges to the gauge of the connected wires from the FAST product. You can find the 600v rated wires in ten foot lengths on eBay with colors of insulation to match the FAST wires. Ten foot extensions should be more than you will need. PTFE would be a recommended wire insulation.

5. cobrajet

cobrajet New Member

Ken, I ran into a similar issue with a GT-40 with XFI and just rewired, using the schematic to guide me along. Being around aircraft most of my adult life, it just made sense to go with aircraft "Mil-spec" Tefzel wire. I buy each gauge in 25-50 foot batches and replenish as needed. Pretty reasonable pricing for a very good quality wire (more strands, more amp capable, high-temp/durable insulation). Aircraft Spruce has good pricing on wire and where I get mine along with terminal ends, and splices: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/unshieldlwire.php

BTW, I bought the proper crimper needed for the terminal ends. A little pricey but you could sell it on eBay when you're done for about the same price you spent on it in the first place! I guess you could also splice into the OEM cable harness using a good quality "environmental splice" if you wanna save some money.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  6. Lebeter

Lebeter New Member

If the xfi harness is similar to the old classic harness you should be fine. Maybe another tech can answer that. I'm wrapping up a fast classic install on my pantera right now. I need a few new pictures showing how everything was cleaned up but you can get some install locations with the job here. I believe www.instagram.com/fuelsniffer

There is an ez efi pantera install here.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/inst...leses-8v-induction-system-on-a-351-cleveland/

7. ken

ken New Member

Hi CJ,

I have several crimpers, including an Ideal Crimp Master and a couple nice Packard crimpers, but I'm not sure they are the right ones. Is there one you recommend?

I found this comparison of Teflon and Tefzel insulated wire

http://www.flexwires.com/blog/under...ween-ptfe-and-etfe-wire-insulation-materials/

Looks like the Teflon has a lot higher temperature and Tefzel is stronger?

8. ken

ken New Member

OK, getting ready to order PTFE insulated wire. It looks like the FAST harness uses mostly 20 and 22 gauge wire. Does that sound right? The insulation OD is like .06 and .08, am I correct that these correspond to 22 and 20 ga?

I noticed that the positive 12V signal for the injectors is split into two wires, and then back to one. Are the 2 wires in case you are running 16 injectors, and the wire harness drawing is just for 8 injectors? Is there any reason to not just use one wire to the battery 12V and splice to 8 wires to the injectors? Is the GM main harness diagram on the FAST web site just for 8 injectors and the main harness for 16 injectors has 2 different +12V signals for distinguish each set of injectors?

Thanks,

Ken

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

What you're looking for is the manufacturer applied 600v rating and correct wire gauge. Different manufacturers vary the insulation thickness, but they meet or exceed the 600V rating they apply to their wire. You can use a larger gauge wire - just don't go smaller. When measuring the gauge, you don't include the insulation.

I would not deviate from the FAST factory wiring scheme. The ECU checks quite a few things.

10. cobrajet

cobrajet New Member

Ken,
    Both types of wire should work real well. I'm used to Tefzel as that is what is used on most of the military aircraft I've worked on and the multi-strand handles more current for a given diameter. Also, weight is less than 4 lbs per 1000ft for 22ga and 6lbs/1000ft for 20ga. I like to build lightness (and reliability) into these old historical cars, so in the end it all adds up.

As for crimpers, I purchased the Deutsch DTT-16-01 to crimp the specific male and female pins that go with the 40 pin connector used on the XFI Sportsman/EZ-EFI 2.0. Pricey, but I should be able to recoup most of what I spent when it comes time to sell it on eBay. (https://www.waytekwire.com/item/637/Deutsch-DTT-16-01-Crimper-/)

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  11. ken

ken New Member

12. ken

ken New Member

13. cobrajet

cobrajet New Member

Hey Ken,
    I think we may be talking about two different connectors. The crimper link I posted earlier are for crimping the Deutsch and Amphenol stamped and formed contacts used in their 40 pin connectors similar to the ones shown below and sourced by David Page at FAST. This allowed me to build my own harness using the aircraft wire to suit my needs. With this particular vintage car, I wanted to hide as much "technology" as possible and get rid of the pretty colored wire and plastic convoluted wire wraps. I hate that stuff!

[​IMG]

14. ken

ken New Member

Hi, CJ,

Ya, different connectors, so need a different crimper. You'd think this would be easier, LOL. I totally agree with you that a good crimper is worth buying.

I did find a great price on Teflon (PTFE) insulated wire from remingtonindustries.com They sell ten 25 foot spools of 20 ga for $71 shipped:

(https://www.remingtonindustries.com...g-ptfe-stranded-kit-10-colors-25-length-each/)

which is less than other want per foot for 22 ga. I was gong to buy some 20 and some 22, but then I have twice the wire to store, and I can just use 20 ga for everything.

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

16. cobrajet

cobrajet New Member

Wow, that sounds expensive but then I realized that's for 10 spools of different colors. I pay .25/foot for white (.29/foot for colors), Tefzel 20ga. so that's $6.25 for 25 feet. I use white for everything and buy 50 feet of 12 thru 20 ga and reorder more when I get down to 10 feet or so.

17. ken

ken New Member

18. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

Yes, PTFE has a higher insulation rating, however it is easier to cut than nylon so keep it away from sharp corners.

19. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The good thing about PTFE is its heat and chemical resistance over time. But, it is easier to cut in sharp bends. A good protective wiring sleeve cover like those from Ron Francis is always a plus.

20. ken

ken New Member

I have some new leftover wire that was with MSD electronics. Is there an easy way to determine if it has PTFE insulation? I thought about holding some of it next to nylon insulated wire and heat them? I assume they nylon will react to the heat much quicker?