Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EFI 2.0 Timing 363 stroker

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by HKMustang99, Jun 20, 2016.

1. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

Hi AA , sorry to hear about your health.
    Your info is extremely helpful again , will attempt a fresh wizard set up now that I have got the TDC and timing marker accurate.
    Will take some pics of the handheld settings and we have a vaccine gauge on engine to check the vacuum at idle.
    Will definitely talk to Richard at fastmanefi to get the sportsman in here asap.

Thanks and hope you are getting better soon.

Rgds

Mike

2. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

Hi AA , just to update you , pretty much a disaster.
    We clearly followed instructions , the engine was absolutely without a doubt at top dead centre and the timing pointer was dead on at zero degrees.
    Dizzy was installed as per the 1 degree reference instructions (between the green and red light , leading edge of the red) but timing was off by a mile.
    In the set up screen when it gets to the point where the efi holds the timing at 20 degrees the car would not even run at idle and when moving the dizzy to get a reasonably stable idle , the crank showed 0 degrees not 20.
    Everything was done by the book so I dont understand what is going on , unless , as per your earlier comment , the ez efi 2.0 just will not work with my engine/cam.
    In order to get to 10" vaccuum we also had to manually adjust the TPS in order for it to idle.
    Any revving would immediately cause major backfire so timing is definitely not good.
    Going to call Richard now and get the Sportsman ECU immediately.

Spark plugs that came pre-installed were gapped at 0.035 , i installed the same plugs (new set) but they were pre-gapped at 0.05.
    I dont think this would cause such major timing issues but will re-gap accordingly once the sportsman comes in.

Thanks

Mike

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The plugs need to be set as gapped from the factory. Inside the Dual Sync are two positions for the pickup module. The module has to be in the correct position for the EZ 2.0. The ECU Wizard places 20 degrees initial advance to the system with the distributor set at 0 crank degrees and the engine running. There should be no advance other than that supplied by the "mechanical" ECU advance. Turn total slope to 4000. Be sure the octane of your fuel is at least 96.

With the cap off be sure the rotor is pointing to the position for number one sparkplug firing with the crank in number one firing position. Be sure all plug wiring is correct for this engine. All Ford engines do not have the same sparkplug wiring sequence.

This unit will start your engine and run it when set up correctly.

Post pictures of the ECU and ignition box connections, distributor module as set inside the distributor. sparkplug firing order, handheld with key on engine off. At the front of the engine, cylinders are 1234 on the left bank and 5678 on the other (4&8 being the rearmost cylinders. This is no Chevy.

Do mot try to run an engine that is not running right at idle. You will just start destroying things.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Best advice, get your car out of that shop and away from those "mechanics". You can do a better job by yourself using correct procedures. This isn't rocket science. I could walk you through every step. Once running, the Sportsman would be an easy upgrade.

5. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

Hi AA ,

I spoke to Richard yesterday and went ahead ordering the Sportsmaster ECU and Display screen from him.
    I am still confused and worried I have a problem.

The EZ-EFI system now in the car has not been touched since the 363 Boss came out and was running well in my 363.
    The only changes have been the new engine with new intake manifold and a brand new Fast dual Sync dizzy.
    I verified the firing order of spark plug cables 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 according to the 460 manual.
    Then proceeded to check the TDC with the TDC tool , the result was that the timing pointer was exactly 0 degrees.
    I then put the dizzy in carefully and proceeded to follow the 1 degree reference angle , I verified the module is in (or the hole right next to) the 0 degree marking on the module.
    The rotor was facing the rear of the engine (not straight back , slightly in an angle) , we proceeded by making sure the rotor was pointing to the number 1 cylinder terminal in the cap.
    I then proceeded to turn clockwise to pass the green light (cam shaft) until the red light came on (crankshaft) , i then carefully went back to the leading edge of the red signal and locked the dizzy down.
    Next we proceeded with the reset of the ECU and started a fresh setting on the handheld , each step was smooth , until I get to the screen that states run engine to get it up to temp.
    It wont even start and even if it does it runs extremely rough.
    When the distributor is then slightly advanced the car starts easy and seems fine , but the timing shows 0 degrees on timing mark and not the 20 degrees that the ECU should be holding it to.

I am worried there is something with the ECU or the E6 box perhaps , but I have no idea where to look next.
    The sportsman is coming but if this problem originates from somewhere else , the new ecu would not help me much.

What do you think I am doing wrong or where do you suggest I look for next to find out what the issues is ?
    Perhaps the rotor is not properly pre-phased ?

Thanks again so much for bearing with me.

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

This sounds like you may be one tooth off with the distributor. Turn the crank to TDC for number one. Pull the cap and look to see the rotor is pointing to the number one cap position. Do a Wizard reset, and input all correct user information.

The only other thing that could be wrong is if someone has incorrectly timed the cam to the crank. Pull a valve cover and check the valve movement is in time with the cam specs.

Getting the Sportsman from Richard was a good decision. You'll be a lot happier with the Sportsman.