Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Electrical Guru's does this voltage log look ok?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by crash520, Feb 17, 2018.

1. crash520

crash520 Member

Guys, Ive just installed a Denso Alternator from a '90 Dakota into my Cuda, using the OEM external V reg, would you think the output as shown in the data log seems ok?? highest voltage is 14.5, low of 13.8. I cant see any 'noise' in it??

Attached Files:

2. crash520

crash520 Member

This is a log from the Tuff Stuff alternator which Im thinking had a bad diode which was causing chirping as raised on a previous post

Attached Files:

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

No doubt about it, the Tuff Stuff was bad. The voltages on the Denso look fine. As long as the voltage is in the 13 volt range with the headlights and other electrical on, it is supplying sufficient charge.

4. crash520

crash520 Member

Thanks AA, headlights on it doesn’t dip below 14.3

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You're welcome. As long as the alternator continues holding voltage above 13v during extended idle under electrical load, the amperage is high enough for proper performance and long battery charge life. Looks and sounds like yours is perfect.:)

6. crash520

crash520 Member

AA, I logged at idle again yesterday, new Denso Alt as above but has been sitting for four weeks as I was in the US, car not running great, if throttle held just off idle its hunting 200rpm, could just be the fuel has gone off, not sure, however the voltage log is very different now, very choppy, not smooth like the first log, admittedly the first log was cruising, this was at idle or slightly above

Attached Files:

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The log could just be showing the Denso difference in voltage regulation between idle and cruise. I wouldn't worry if the log at 3100 still looks the same. You could be getting some interference at idle if there was no hunting before. The CD ignition is in multi-strike mode at idle - at 3100 it isn't. A properly sized condenser could eliminate the interference.