Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Ez-EFI 1. Question regarding PCV

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Narler, Jan 2, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

In most cases the advertisement is correct. From what I understand, one of the early people who supported that ad is no longer with FAST - could be why. Much of the ECU TBI problems with differing cam and engine manifold combinations weren't known early on.

The open spacer is needed to reduce the venturi effect of the intake design for a carburetor. A four hole spacer will make no needed change. The open spacer is just something that may work with your dual plane.

I believe this is the intake you need - if you don't have the high rise 427 heads. A single plane that is no longer manufactured - http://www.ebay.com/itm/331633356776. this one has been modified for the medium rise heads, but can be converted back to the low rise heads. Otherwise, you need a custom fabricated intake.

Your factory original Ford dual plane is worth a small fortune. Don't modify it.

The connector you found on the FAST site is similar, but the one I mentioned converts to the commonly found GM old style 1 bar sensor. These come straight from the factory, so I would order direct from FAST to assure getting the correct part/s in the shortest time.

Once you get the new "Old Style" sensor connected and mounted somewhere. You just plug the one that came on the throttle body back in to the throttle body. It will just be a "dummy" there since it won't be electrically connected. All it will do is seal the throttle body port it sits in. There should be enough left of its seal to reseal the "dummy".

The EZ EFI 1 requires an idle vacuum of 10" for good operation. You should also be running an automatic transmission - as the adaptive learning works better with an automatic. The XFI Sportsman ECU would have been a better choice as the adaptive learning can be shut down in favor of manual settings. It can also handle lower vacuum at idle.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I make about 500 horsepower with my EZ EFI 2.0 throttle body system on a 406 Chevy small block, and about 470 horsepower on a 355 small block with a Victor Jr. and an EFI cam. Both run automatic transmissions with appropriate stall speed converters and gearing for the street. I knew from the start I would have some fuel reversion in any intake due to my lobe separation and duration on the 406, and it took a year for the gas reversion to affect its 2.0 throttle body MAP sensor. I just converted the MAP to repair that problem. I also originally used a tall dual plane on the 406, but the one I used didn't cause any additional problem. I have since switched to a single plane manifold regardless - from a CrossWind on the 406 to the Victor Jr of the same height.

I have two EZ EFI 2.0 throttle body systems running perfectly. Only, if the information had been around earlier, I would have used single plane manifolds from the start on both engines, 113 lobe separation Extreme FI cams in both, and the XFI Sportsman ECU. My EZ EFI 2.0 ECUs also have fulltime adaptive learning like the EZ EFI 1 - and the Sportsman ECUs would have been a better choice I could have tuned more easily.

Still, I've gotten my Chevy's running nicely, and we should be able to get your Ford running better. I've built and raced far more Fords than Chevy's. My first Ford racer was a 1964 Galaxie 500 with a 427 and medium riser intake.

You have a lot to digest in your posts, and I recalled you mentioning your handheld is showing lower voltage. If the handheld is showing around 10-11 volts at any time we may have just found another issue affecting your ECU. Make sure your voltage is staying up during crank and run cycles at the pink ECU ignition power "on" wire. The voltage on that wire is what the new handheld reflects. If the voltage is low there, it affects all ECU calculations and calibrations.

With at least 1" open spacers in place, the new MAP, clean plugs, and good plug wires, reset your EZ EFI three times and input only what is asked for. This will clear out older corrupted fuel maps and adaptive learning should start building new maps again at 140 Fahrenheit. Be sure there are zero exhaust leaks. If you have defeated the intake fuel reversion problem any, your handheld readings should improve. Remember, A/F for this engine should only be in the 13-13.7 target range for idle and cruise. Idle timing should be about 18-20 degrees - set for the most steady idle vacuum using a good vacuum gauge.

If you can't get the adaptive learning started again, your ECU may be defective.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  3. sh454

sh454 New Member

Hi,
    I have the Fast EZ-EFI #1 on my chevy 496. The engine is new and make 660bhp. I like to have an PCV valve on it for ventilation. The problem is with the valves I have is that they dont close completely on idle so to much air is entering and uppsett the idle.The idle rais from 850 to 1100. So the valve acts like a vacuum leak and the engione dont run so good. Were can I find a PCV valve that closes comletely at idle?? Hope you can help.

Thanks

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

PCV valves are flow rated per engine displacement. They just apply some intake vacuum to the crankcase to pull in piston ring blowby and re-burn it. They should always be used with street engines, and have no effect on the idle of a properly running engine. Ventilation should be provided by a filter on the valve cover opposite the cover that has the PCV. A stock PCV should work fine for your 496.