Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZ EFI 2.0 Injection With Dual Plane Intake Vs Single Plane

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by A A, Mar 15, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The new vacuum pump purchase included its own relay and is so quiet it can barely be heard at key "on" before starts. I'm adding a delay relay in today that keeps the pump off until the engine is running and making some vacuum of its own The delay relay should extend the pump life considerably and will be bypassed once the engine is running. Testing showed the pump makes up to 28 inches of vacuum - 18-22 with the vacuum switch operating. It only runs a few seconds at a time, as needed, with the engine idling.

2. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Sounds like a nice setup.

I installed hydro boost on my ‘71 corvette and brakes (Wilwood) are now rock solid with a nice feel to it. Hard like a non-boost car but it only needs a light touch to brake.

Happy new year to everybody.

And thanks again to you AA for all the nice input. Computers might make things easier, but nothing beats old school experience. Tanks for sharing.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hi Jens,

I installed hydro-boost to a '67 GTO back in 1980. It most definitely worked well in reducing the braking distance for the old GTO. That car had power brakes and a stock 389 4-bbl, with an automatic trans, making good vacuum. But, the vacuum power brakes weren't much - especially after they heated up and started fading. It didn't take much for them to heat and fade - even in normal city driving. So, hydro-boost made big changes on it - even though it had drum brakes. I sold the fast "land yaht" soon after installing the hydro-boost, but I will never forget a number of hairy moments trying to stop that beast before I added hydro-boost to it.

My TA brakes worked better than the GTO factory brakes, but they were really bad idling at low vacuum. The vacuum booster system I added has solved all of that, and I no longer have to stand on the brakes - a light touch does it all now, and I no longer worry about quick stops in city traffic while driving my TA.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas, and wish you a Happy New Year as well.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. J.K.

J.K. Member

Happy New Year! It's been a while since I last visited here. Since putting the camaro in storage for winter I have been busy tackling another home reno project.
    It's funny I was just thinking about the car again and deciding what I would really like to improve on it before spring. Brakes immediately came to mind. Lol
    I have been toying with the idea of hydroboost. City traffic can be a bit nail biting if someone stops rather abruptly infront of me. Do these systems still work off vacume? I was under the impression they didn't require vacume. Excuse my ignorance, I'm not all that familiar with that system yet.

5. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Hydro - works with the power of a power steering pump or an electric pump. Both solutions works great and you have instant and reliable brake boost.

By a complete system (I did) or combine the parts from new or used spare parts. The booster itself I also smaller than the big wacuum booster.

I can only recommend it, but of course it’s not “original” on the old musclecars.

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hey JK,

The vacuum brake booster is completely replaced by the hydra-boost. Vacuum is not used with the Hydra-boost in place.

Here are the main components of what I used to boost my vacuum:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACDelco-OEM-20914523-Power-Brake-Booster-Vacuum-Pump-Free-Shipping-NIP/263389692214?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    (The relay was included, and the pump itself is actually a Hella UP28. You have to figure out the supplied relay pin wiring or use a different relay. The actual pump for full vacuum without engine vacuum assist is the Hella UP30.)

A delay relay for initial key-on power - https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-O...Base-Socket-/371961104943?hash=item569a9c0a2f A RPM switch could also be used in placed of this relay.

A canister - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-9773-Aluminum-Vacuum-Brake-Canister-Reservoir/401410964856?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

A vacuum switch equivalent of the https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSBC-Stainless-Steel-Brakes-28146SW-Switch-28146-Electric-Vacuum-Pump/131336995860?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    I was able to find a new GM switch with the electrical cable included, for $8 on eBay.

One additional check valve for $7 at a local parts store - for the large hose from the engine, before the new system plumbed into the OEM brake booster.

The system boosts the low engine vacuum to the proper level once the engine is running. It works great, doesn't run long or often, and you don't hear it running!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. J.K.

J.K. Member

Sweet! Something for me to look into. I'm not all set on having period correct stuff on my car. The way I see it, improving things like brakes only enhances a classic. Not everyone sees it that way, I get that.
    Well looks like my brakes will be getting an upgrade before spring.

Thanks for the option information guys. I have had hydra boost on my mind for some time, just never looked into it yet.

8. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Here are a few pics of the Hydraboost on my Vette ‘71 C3)

Hoses ar routet from the pump to the hydra boost unit and finally to the power steering. I installed Borgeson power steering with the hydraboost.

Ignore the wires......
    It’s all fan wires and they wil be sorted out before summer ;-)

381EB7DA-2E66-4083-A500-4BDEC7D27F3F.jpeg 97FDBBF5-49BD-4440-8DCD-EF41E26586D7.jpeg

J.K. likes this.
  9. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

I have Hydroboost on my Regal and I love it.