Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZ EFI 2.0 Throttle Body System Vehicle #2 - An '81 GMC

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by A A, Jun 5, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Installed the larger Aeromotive 12347 10 micron filter today. I like this filter much better than the small FAST 30272 filter as it has much greater filter capacity area. I also think it looks better under the hood. I had stopped getting fine dirt from the driver's side tank, but switching to the passenger side tank proved that one still had fine dirt in it. The FAST filter was plugging again, but not as quickly as it had before. I believe the new filter has enough area it won't stop up before all the fine dirt pumps from the passenger tank. If it does, I have a spare element ready in the glove box.

Next, this old truck is hitting the road again for a final tune!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Having some trouble adjusting to my new heart meds, so I haven't driven the truck much except for some limited lead foot driving on city streets. I did notice a very slight bit of oil smoke come from the exhaust when revving the engine out of gear at home. This stopped when I changed the idle A/F to 14.3 and the cruise A/F to 14.7. Plug ceramic insulators are now running a very light tan instead of the white they were showing. Still no ignition misses, and the timing looks perfect at the plug side electrodes - clean running light gray exhaust pipe coloration inside the PYPES stainless dual exhaust.

More people in older pickups with loud exhausts have tried me coming off red lights. It's hard to keep from smoking the tires, but I keep my foot just far enough off the accelerator so I won't be smoking my tires, and easily pull away from them enough to show them up until I reach the speed limit - if any tickets are to be had, they can have them.

Lol, I guess the winning is what keeps my ticker going good, it still feels good at my age. I'll have to stop this before I can check my fuel mileage. Still on my right side tank (almost full), and filled the left tank again yesterday (16 gallons).

A number of strangers have asked about buying my old truck in the last few weeks. That never used to happen before.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol, forgot to drain the TCI break-in oil in my new TCI Turbo 350 Streetfighter transmission. Good I remembered before adding another 100 miles. Once I get myself going again, the fluid will be immediately changed to TCI mineral oil for the rest of the break-in. Bought a new Westin bumper for the rear also. The pretty chrome on the new rubber and chrome step bumper will be a nice improvement over the old chrome step bumper.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Got the TCI mineral oil and new bumper today. Still not getting around well enough to do anything much, but really wanting to. The new Westin Fey 21007 bumper looks great. The old antique bumper was the diamond plate chrome step bumper and could probably have been repaired. But, I like the look of this one better. LMC Truck also has a nice leather interior that is catching my eye - even if it is several grand.

Started the engine of this truck today and was just itching to take it for a drive. Just had to hear it run.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Couldn't stand looking at the new bumper just sitting there any longer. My impact snapped the old rusty 1/2" bolts in half while removing the old bumper, and I dragged it out of the way. FEY instructions showed to use the wrong bolt holes in the mount kit, but I had a tape measure handy and found the correct holes in the new mount brackets and frame. It really tired me, but my meds are working and prevented any chest pain. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Anyway, the new bumper looks great for when I feel well enough to drive the truck again. Now, I'm just hungry for a big grilled steak and fries - and waiting for the doctors to say I can eat normally and stop the soft food diet. I have an appointment for surgery Tuesday, so now (maybe) I can rest until then. Well, If I feel I can tomorrow, I may change the transmission oil in the TCI Streetfighter transmission. The EZ EFI 2.0 system is working perfectly now, so no changes appear to be needed - at least until after a lot more driving and hot weather.

Still, wish I had the Sportsman in my '85 TA - with it's non-EFI Comp roller cam.

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Well, the quacks haven't killed me yet. Stupid foreign immigrant doctor messed up my paperwork in the hospital, and caused my surgery to be delayed until a new day can be scheduled. Just glad he wasn't and won't be involved with my procedure.. I may just tell my doctor to forget it if that's the best they can do. I ended up feeling well enough to work some outside today (beautiful breezy 88 degree day) - and changed the TCI transmission fluid in my '81, among other things. I'm going to tidy up some more small odds and ends on the truck tomorrow. The quacks can wait until I'm good and ready this time. If I hadn't found a voicemail from someone in the hospital about supper time yesterday, I would have been really hot about showing up at 5:30 AM this morning for nothing. Oh, and I quit the soft food diet tonight and had a real meal. A week of bland mush was going too far - don't care what the "doctors" say. I already feel better after a decent meal - and my blood pressure an hour later proved it - 123/79, hasn't been that good since my early thirties.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

This '81 GMC is running perfect, so I drove it to a local car meet this morning and showed off the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 system under the hood. There was a lot of unexpected interest from the crowd. People not only liked the look of the 2.0 TBI system, but liked how well the engine sounds and idles in and out of gear, in spite of it's larger duration cam, and how easily the engine starts with only a single quick touch of the key. Actually, it always starts that easily cold or hot - and I also plan to add remote starting and entry. The Aeromotive regulator solved the wait for cold starts and slow warm starts caused by fuel pressure leak-down using the previous Summit Racing brand regulator.

I purchased a new spare rim and tire yesterday to match those on the truck, and installed the new matching wheel back under the truck in it's factory mount. The old factory tire had dry rotted and the rim didn't match my replacement aluminum rims. The truck is now good to hit the road without worry of a flat tire. That also nicely cleaned up the rest of the look under the truck.

As far as running and driving, the '81 GMC is finished. The only changes I will make will be mostly cosmetic, and none will be under the hood. I now hop into it often, in preference to my new Silverado - the '81 GMC even has a smoother ride on the road. So, time to move on to another FAST project.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Lance likes this.
  8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

My summation of the EZ EFI 2.0 TBI system:

This is mechanically and electrically a good system when used with:

1) a single plane intake
    2) an automatic transmission
    3) the knowledge of good electrical installation procedure
    4) the knowledge the Wizard is only a starting point for a correct tune

Things to understand:

1) The Wizard does not optimize timing. The timing and timing curve must be manually adjusted for your engine due to the fuel used, compression, and other vehicle specifics. I don't know why FAST programmed the ECU Wizard for a 3400 all-in slope with a locked out distributor or crank trigger. You will be better off starting at a 4000 all-in slope with total timing adjusted upward as needed - starting from 28 degrees total. This will allow you to use the sparkplugs side electrode to find the correct total timing by the heat line on the side electrode.

2) The Wizard only provides a starting point for A/F mixtures. Only after setting the initial timing to optimum, and setting the correct total timing (without overly decreasing timing slope), will you be able to start fine tuning the A/F idle and cruise mixtures - by carefully watching the coloration of the inner ceramic of the plug after changes. You must also adjust the total timing during this process by checking the side electrode. You may also find you need to go with a colder sparkplug than factory at this time. The ECU only builds its fuel maps in the A/F ranges set in the handheld. Watching the O2 correction percentages will help you with adjusting for the correct idle and cruise A/F ranges while shooting for close to a "00" O2 percentage correction at steady engine speeds. With no O2 sensor problems, don't let anything sway you into thinking an idle A/f of 14.3 or a cruise A/F of 14.8 is too lean. Proper A/F mixtures can only be determined through proper tuning procedure.

3) Keep the WOT A/F ratio between 12.5 and 12.8 during the process of correcting the idle and cruise A/F. Do not set the WOT A/F above 12.8 as it will most likely invite engine damage. Leave the enrichment setting alone until the ECU adaptive learning has built its maps using optimum timing and A/F idle and cruise ranges have been found and set. WOT at 12.7 will likely be a happy medium.

4) Once the proper idle and cruise A/F settings and engine timing changes have been made, and only then, you may be able to further improve engine operation (cold and warm starts, light acceleration in gear, etc.). These settings may not be necessary as the ECU also optimizes them for the already input settings. The enrichment settings should only require very slight adjustment if needed.

5) The vacuum timing adjustment is not a true vacuum that will approximate a canister type. Off idle, it will add one to two degrees and more as engine RPMs increase. The load percentage for it is also only a starting point. I recommend not turning it on until all other settings have been optimized. Once you have the other settings optimized, you will find it is another "ball of wax" to play with carefully - that may require lowering of the total mechanical timing you've already set in the ECU. It can adjust in some more advance at pert throttle above what can be tuned in with the manual timing and slope for improved mileage - if done carefully. If not done very carefully, it can quickly cause pre-ignition and/or detonation - and more so than most will realize until there is a major problem.

6) Fine tuning this system may be beyond the abilities of many people - even if they get it installed properly and working. For that reason, it may be best to have this done by a professional tuner that has the correct knowledge and tools. An experienced tuner can do this easily with the proper instruments. Without the proper instruments, even a good tuner will not be able to quickly fine tune the EZ EFI 2.0.

Last but not least, the EZ EFI 2.0 TBI system is a great fuel injection system capable of making more power throughout an engine's RPM range, a better idle, easier starting, and many other advantages over a carburetor - if everything I've mentioned above is followed and understood. It makes the headaches that can occur with carburetion and non-stock engine configurations a thing of the past and out performs any carburetor system.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Lance likes this.
  9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Just an update on fuel mileage:

I drove the truck on a 100 mile Interstate drive at 75 miles per hour with cruise control, the air conditioning on, and an added load of around six hundred pounds in the truck. Fuel mileage came out to 12.5 miles per gallon - and the truck ran great, and was comfortable with the cold R134 converted air conditioning (had to run the fan on low with the temp setting about mid way to keep from getting too cold on the bright 90 degree day). The EZ EFI 2.0 ECU raised the normal 750 RPM engine idle speed 100 RPMs in drive and 200 in park with the air conditioning on. A final sparkplug check showed all my handheld A/F and timing settings were perfect.

I normally would try to tune for a bit better fuel mileage, but the power and feel of the truck on the road is excellent. So, I won't change anything.

Idle A/F 14.3
    Cruise A/F 14.7
    WOT A/F 12.8
    Enrichment Settings all at 0
    Idle timing 20 degrees
    Slope All-In 3600 RPM
    Mechanical All-In 24 degrees
    Vacuum Timing 4 degrees @ 60%
    Total Timing 28 degrees on Standard Oil Regular (Chevron 87 Octane with Ethanol and Techron)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I've only driven this truck sporadically since April - only burning a little over a third of a tank of fuel from one tank.

I purchased and installed the remote start and entry kit I had thought about for this GMC - sweet!

Of course, I had to mess with my fuel and timing settings - a bit more.

Idle A/F 14.4
    Cruise A/F 14.8
    WOT A/F 12.7
    Slope All-In 4000 RPM
    Mechanical All-In 28 degrees
    Vacuum Timing 7 degrees @ 45%
    Total Timing 35 degrees on Standard Oil Regular (Chevron 87 Octane with Ethanol and Techron)

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The bug bit again - a new Kenwood eXcelon XR400-4 amplifier to go along with the eXcelon KDC-X998 receiver I had installed earlier to this truck. That new receiver had already made a remarkable sound improvement to music playing in the old truck over the OEM radio. This new small amp will easily sit under or behind the seat of the '81 GMC and will offer 75 RMS watts of power to each of four speakers. That, coupled with the correct new custom speakers, will improve the sound immensely. I could also install a small custom subwoofer behind the seat - but I'll make provisions and think about that addition later.

But that's not all, the old GMC is getting all new sound insulation, and a plush new custom interior. The changes should give a much quieter cabin with less road noise while driving, more comfort, and excellent acoustics from the stereo system - undisturbed by most noise from outside the cab.

The truck is still running great with its FAST EZ EFI 2.0 Throttle Body System. Once I've finished the current changes, it's on the road again for fuel mileage checks and any small tweaks for improvement. Somehow, I don't think I would be doing all the additional improvements if the FAST system didn't have this old truck running so great!

Well, there is one more reason... Too many jug-heads keep pulling up alongside me with loud stereos blasting away and revving their non-muffled exhausts. Reminds me of when my class and quarter mile times would still be posted on the windshield when I drove home from local tracks 50 years ago.

Also of note, once in a long while, I would very infrequently get a total number of 3 in the IRM window - before I changed my timing and fuel settings to those in the previous post here. I never see anything other than 0 in the IRM window now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Ahh, the rains from IRMA have started here. With other projects in my garages, the GMC has to sit outside. So, no progress has been made with the new eXcelon amplifier and speakers. At least I installed the new AHD 30X PTZ cameras around the outside of my home and have them all working great - a new professional version DVR will replace the older one this week, and will provide UTC coax PTZ control instead of having to use the old RS485 bus wired connections. The varmints (deer and raccoons), that have been causing extreme damages around my home at night, don't stand a chance anymore. The security system now spots them at 600 feet like it was daylight, and I'm popping them off like clay pigeons with a new night scope on a rifle. They won't be destroying my vegetable garden, expensive shrubbery, and expensive fruit trees anymore. I'm probably also set up good now for any zombie apocalypse scenario.;) Just need to figure out where to put the guard tower and Navy surplus 40mm quad mount.:)

kpanza likes this.
  13. J.K.

J.K. Member

How is the TA running? Have you done similar tuning on it like your truck? Looks like you got the truck dialed in really good.

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hey!

Yes, the truck is running great and I rethought my advance timing strategy on the TA as well. I already had the initial at 24 degrees and raised the slope all-in to 30 degrees @ 4000. I set vacuum advance to 7 degrees. The TA is running very sweet there on regular pump gas. It's possible I could add in some more total timing and a few degrees more vacuum advance, but the car is running so sweet I haven't bothered. I did have to add in some start enrichment as I leaned the idle F/A to 14.4 and cruise F/A to 14.8. But, I've also driven the TA very little since May, with no interstate driving. That should change soon with the cooler weather, and the fact I'm getting caught back up with other things now. Once I start driving it more, I may also make some very small changes in A/F mixtures - but for now, it's just running to good. Then again, I might already have it perfect. Although, I'm thinking of re-tuning for mid grade fuel. When I get started on it again, I'm going to dial in some suspension tuning for the best launch. (the TA's rear suspension is fully adjustable)

How is your Camaro going?

15. J.K.

J.K. Member

It's been doing pretty good. It's funny, after making changes in an effort to keep engine temps lower, I also began adding a bottle of octane boost with each fill. The car just began learning and behaving much better. I began leaning the cruise a little each time and got as far as 14.4 where it remained for a while and ran really good. My idle was around 13.9. Everything ran so good till one day out of nowhere I was hearing what sounded like misfires at cruise again. A problem I had prior to the fuel additive as soon as afr's got close to 14.0 at cruise. So I did a complete reset again. Currently I'm not running any additive, just 91 octane. Idle is 14.5 cruise 14.0. Initial timing 25*, total 34 at 4000rpm, 8* vacume. Almost seems it was just a coincidence that the octane booster had anything to do with the system working better. I'm not sure why I am so afraid to run my cruise richer, but I do feel that I actually was getting better mileage at 13.5 - 13.8 cruise. This motor maybe just doesn't like the leaner afr's. Other than playing with tune, the car has been driving so much better for whatever reason. This I refer to the fact it's a manual shift transmission. A year ago it constantly pulled too much fuel out between shifts that each time I gently reapplied the accelerator I had a flat spot and then it would buck and jerk back to life again. This year I haven't had those problems. Between shifts has been pretty smooth transitions. I do get occasional exhaust pop between 1-2 shift when I leave more aggressive from 1st gear. Also on decel I get popping from the exhaust when the motor is used to slow the car. Both these go away with a richer fuel setting though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  16. A A

A A Well-Known Member

If the plugs and wires all look good, here's some settings that may help. Be sure to drop the vacuum load % to 45 0r 40. 14.3 idle F/A, 14.7 cruise F/A, WOT 12.7. Idle fuel should be richer at idle than at cruise. With slope at 4000-4200, I would expect you could use 28-30 degrees on total mechanical advance, but your compression could be a limiting factor. At idle, with your cam, I would expect your initial timing should be around 22-24 degrees.

17. J.K.

J.K. Member

I wish I could figure out if what I'm hearing is bad misfires or what I'm exactly hearing. I once even thought maybe the sound I'm hearing is coming from the drain holes that were punched into my muffler (one in each muffler). It doesn't feel as a misfire as far as the car doing anything odd, just in sound. Best way to describe it is let's say on a quiet night somebody was having festive fireworks in a distant neighboring town, and all you could hear is the faint echos of those explosions like thunder in the very distance. That's what I hear amongst my normal exhaust sound it sounds like rapid but not a steady smooth pattern of distant explosions....which I'm interpreting as misfires. Observing the handheld when I hear it, it doesn't seem to happen at all in the low 13 afr. The closer I go to 14 afr it becomes more noticeable. It just sounds crappy to me and I try avoiding it from happening, which usually makes me want to run it richer because I don't understand what it is exactly that I'm hearing. Basically my whole ignition system is new as a result of chasing it down. New box, new distributor, msd plug wired, and plugs. The other interesting thing is this only seems to happen at light load cruising. I can be driving down the road in 4th gear and I can hear what sounds like plug wires got switched around (but I don't feel any surges or power loss), soon as I pop it into 5th gear where the rpm drops and more load is introduced....the exhaust note is smooth as glass. Now I don't know if my valve lash is maybe too tight at 1/2 turn from zero and at cruising rpm in 3rd or 4th is causing a scenario where the valves don't get a chance to fully seat?? I don't know if that's even possible. I do have fairly stout valve springs on the AFR heads that were recommended by AFR for my cam profile. Since it did the same with my previous cam and spring set up, I'm going to assume my spring pressures are good. These pictures are just of one plug, all look about the same. This is my current f/a and timing settings

Attached Files:

18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I believe I see the problem. Those plugs look to be covered in anti-seize. If that's what I'm seeing, clean it all off with solvent. If those are NGK plugs, it isn't needed - and you don't even want it on the threads of the sparkplug holes. Anti-seize can cause exactly what you're describing. So can problems in the distributor cap/rotor and cap phasing. Plug wires with greater resistance than 40 Ohms per inch can also cause this.

19. J.K.

J.K. Member

I wish it were that easy. The pictures must be deceiving because I don't have a stitch of anti seize on them. And yes these are NGK plugs. R5671A-9

20. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes, I recall seeing what appeared to be anti-seize one other time in pictures. It's not always easy to read plugs in your hand, much less in a picture. Those plugs are 4 ranges colder than stock and could be the problem - they will run good short term until deposits begin building. Try Using the BKR5E (7938) or BKR6E (6962). One of them should play better with your now lowered timing. That's why I'm not seeing a heat line on two or three of the outer threads.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017