Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZ EFI 2.0 Throttle Body System Vehicle #2 - An '81 GMC

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by A A, Jun 5, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I wired the rear speakers up today - as luck would have it, one side of one of my RCA patch cords from the stereo to the amplifier was bad. Installed a new patch cord. The rear Infinity speakers now sound great - also providing something of a massage through the seatback. Bass is much deeper with zero unwanted body vibrations coming from the factory rear corner speaker areas.

I temporarily installed the FAST E6 ignition box directly below the Kenwood XR400-4 amplifier and ran the engine. There were no electrical interference surprises from any direction. So, the FAST E6 has found its home centered under the Kenwood amplifier. As for the factory speaker positions, they will become lockable, insulated, and sealed storage areas. All that is left is minor audio adjustments to the Kenwood eXcelon KDC X998 headunit using one of my favorite oldies albums - like the Raiders Collage album Mark Lindsay worked so hard at mastering with analog equipment.:D

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Wow! It sounds like I have a slight reverb effect with the volume turned up. Slightly over half volume drowns out everything with the windows up without being obtuse or overly loud - and I still have some small areas of the cab to insulate.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Popped for new door panels and a headliner for the GMC today. I was at odds on LMC Pro Classic Sport seats or just getting late model electric leather seats. With more rough measurements, it looks like I have to go with the LMC seats - but I did find a really nice set of 2017 factory leather power seats with the center console/seat. the '81 GMC bench is roughly 56 inches wide and the late model seats overall at about 60 inches. There was also a height difference that would have required changes to the '81 floor pan, and probably shifting or removal of the factory side tanks. So, LMC Pro Classic Sport seats it will be.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I already had a new OEM brand vinyl dash pad from Classic Industries - pure garbage I'll be tossing. It had deformed after only a month in the summer sun. I bought the fiberglass backed LMC Pro Classic Sport dash pad and the split bench Pro Classic Sport seat and bracket this afternoon. The Pro Classic Sport split bench seat is 60 inches wide, but the seat area isn't as high from the floorboard as factory '17 model seats - even using the required LMC adapter bracket. The GMC interior will soon be all brand new and my pockets about three grand lighter. Should be here next week.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

After installing the new rear speaker box, while waiting for the new interior, I've noticed some slight strangeness with my EZ EFI2.0 F/A in the GMC. I've been running only mid grade fuel instead of regular for a number of months now. A plug check showed some light ceramic sooting, but still looking good. The engine was running slightly rougher at cold start until it warmed, and I noticed exhaust was no longer looking as clean as it had in warm engine WOT acceleration. I had also begun getting sporadic 003 IRM readings.

I changed WOT from 12.6 to 12.5 and the exhaust during WOT acceleration immediately cleaned back up. Since the cold start appeared rich, I took the idle F/A to 14.5 - leaving the enrichment setting where it was. Cold start has now settled to a smoother idle again. I also changed cruise F/A to 14.8 and accel fuel enrichment to "0". Timing and heat range still looks correct at the plugs, and the plug ceramics have only returned to a clean white coloration. The IRMs have gone back to the 000 readings I had grown accustomed to. I'm hoping this strangeness isn't signaling the O2 sensor going bad. Maybe there was just some carbon buildup somewhere in the old engine that is going away.

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Seating and dash parts for this GMC are arriving tomorrow. Naturally, the weather here is miserable constant rain and expected to remain so throughout next week. As a result, I haven't been able to get the truck ready for a quick install of the new interior. Of course, the carpet and sound deadener supplies are also shipping last - just my luck. At least the truck is running sweet on the new settings.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol. As usual the weather forecasts were dead wrong - it snowed this morning. It was biting cold, but I took delivery of the dash, seat, and seat bracket. I'm hoping the rest of the LMC parts will still come FedEx tomorrow. I have the GMC in my heated garage, so I will install the dash today - along with a new heater core. Of course, when I drove the TA out of the garage last night, I put the car cover on front to rear in the dark. So, I still get to play in the cold as I turn the cover around.

Edit: Of course, after I assembled the seat and left it sitting in the truck bed, life had to take a twist. As I began getting ready to install the new dash, I found they sent a red stitched dash instead of white. Now I have to wait for the correct dash.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Installed the glove box today and took out the old rotten headliner. Don't know how that headliner was looking as well as it did. I'll give GM the bird on their '81 truck glove box latch design - It was a PITA to get apart without damaging anything. I decided to repaint the interior metal after the cleanup. But, I'm undecided on black or royal blue. The royal blue will probably give some needed contrast with the black interior - although the white stitching already helps. Should have the new headliner installed in the next few days - then, on to installing new the carpet and seat. The weight of the new seat has surprised me - it's heavier than the old one. I'll also be replacing the rest of the plastic trim parts. They're just too brittle - even though they still look new.

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Got my interior paint yesterday, but I've been running my Kubota loader filling in and leveling a steep area in my orchard while the rain is holding off. Planted a few new fruit trees as well - and was promptly visited tonight by four deer. Good I also put wire fencing around the trees.

I've been told the replacement white stitched dash should come next week. I have the truck inside my heated garage now, so there's no real hurry other than I'm not getting to enjoy driving it.:(

The new door panels look great, but I've got to do some creative metal work to fit the Infinity door speakers high in the panels. I don't want them low where they can be hit by shoes getting in and out of the truck. I'm also thinking the small Infinity tweeters might look and work better in the rear pillar moldings.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

As Al Jolson would say,"Hot diggity dawg!". My correct dash is arriving tomorrow!

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The new white stitch TMI dash from LMC and new dash trim looks great! I still need to weld in some new custom metal work for my door speakers before finishing the interior.

12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Haven't had time to work on the truck lately. I found some very small rust throughs at the outer floor board areas near the doors. I could have easily covered that up, but knew I would never be satisfied with other than a perfect repair. So, I'll be cutting and forming some small replacement panels to weld in for an invisible repair after cleaning the welds up and painting. Once I complete this welding and the changes to the inner door steel, I'll install the new interior. I'm itching to drive the truck again with the new interior installed.