Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZ EFI 2.0 Throttle Body System Vehicle #2 - An '81 GMC

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by A A, Jun 5, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I've had a BatteryMiINDER OBD-12 installed to my GMC for several years. I kept it plugged into a solar array using a 10amp solar supply. It has worked great and the SLA battery in the GMC is still like brand new at 100% capacity. After installing a 10amp NOCO GEN 1 in my new Silverado, I decided the 4amp GEN 1 Mini would be a better choice for the GMC than the BatteryMINDER. The NOCO GEN 1 and GEN 1 Mini are certainly more rugged (rated IP68 water resistant), and they cycle off to micro power and sensing when the battery is fully charged - should be good for even longer battery life along with their eight stage charging and power cycling. The new system appears to be working fine and it is supposed to be completely computer safe - for my EZ EFI 2.0 ECU peace of mind. The solar array still does all the charging - only from one of its 120 volt AC outlets.

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol! For the last two weeks I had noticed my FAST handheld was showing 13.9 volts instead of the usual 14.3 volts after starting my GMC. After a while driving, volts would only come up to 14.1 - and drop back slightly at anything over idle speeds. Yes, the now 14 year old Powermaster 150 amp alternator was acting up. Seems like it all started with the oppressive humidity we're having at the current time.

I pulled the GMC battery and checked it out - although it still cranked the truck perfectly. Its capacity was low, but I built that back quickly using a NOCO Genius G7200 7 amp charger. I installed a weak Duracell AGM battery to the GMC that was showing 12.8 volts. Ha! It couldn't turn the engine over as its capacity was gone and the volts fell off far enough to cause a reboot of the handheld, as I let off the start position of the key and volts increased - but I used a new GB70 booster to easily start the engine. Yup, with the engine then idling, booster disconnected, the handheld volts quickly increased to 13.9 - but there was something odd. My warm engine idle was drifting between 800-900 rpm instead of holding at 750.

I bought a new Duracell 34/78 AGM I found on sale for the GMC, as the old AGM had lasted 8 years before I replaced it in one of my other vehicles that is driven more often. I also like the top and side terminal configuration of this AGM. I used the old AGM for the $18 core charge and my total cost for the new AGM was only $121 at Sam's Club.

The battery that had been in the GMC was still in great condition, but it is 6 years old - I'll use it for something else. So, I installed the new AGC into the '81 GMC. A quick check showed my old Powermaster alternator was discharging the battery at a low amperage with the key off. So, I left the negative terminal disconnected. The old GMC will soon have a new alternator - but the above told story serves to show yet more quirks, how they can be spotted with the EZ EFI 2.0 handheld, and how they can affect the ECU operation.

Edit - It's probably a good thing the GMCs NOCO mini charger had been in use or the old GMC battery would have probably been toast from the alternator discharge.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018