Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZ-EFI to XFI Street Upgrade

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by CWPottenger, Mar 3, 2018.

1. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

I'm starting this thread because I just upgraded my ECU and quite frankly I need a few pointers. Basically a how to guide for beginners. The help file has a bunch of info, but it is severely lacking in a step by step setup guide.

First off I had to download the Driver files for the USB-Serial adapter, they were not included on the USB flash drive. Also no directions on setting it to the parameters you need to communicate.

Second what is the fuel flow rating on the EZ1 injectors? lb/hr

I got it to run, and it is slowly adaptive learning. Although even that I had to modify parameters so it would actually start learning from idle up after engine warm.

As for how to change/view any of the actual data is a complete mystery( Again the help file is a ton of info, but not in any step by step learning format). I'm very new to the C-Com software (read 1st time ever seeing it).

So far I am happy with the upgrade because It fired right up, direct plug in replacement and I have gotten car to move. Just hoping it is not months of driving to get a good tune like I had on the EZ-EFI. To that it would have been nice if FAST had setup the upgrade to be able to download the tune from EZ-EFI as the starting base for the XFI Street upgrade. Instead all that tune time is gone and wasted.

I guess my questions are:

How do I look at and modify the data?
    Is it only editable when plugged into car or can I store the tune and modify it and then upload it again to ECU?
    I do not see any 3d tables only charts and I don't even think I'm seeing my engines tune.

Please help me to properly use what I have. Thanks

jpmlogan and A A like this.
  2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

"Second what is the fuel flow rating on the EZ1 injectors? lb/hr "

This will change according to increasing and decreasing pressure - 75 lbs./hr. @ 43 PSI (88 lbs./hr. @ 60 PSI)

Since XFI Street is based on XFI, I would check out Fastmanefi site help - Fast Tech>FAST XFI and Sportsman Tuning Guides

3. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

Thank you. That page was helpful. Some things are different, but at least I was able to understand a process and order to the tune pages.

Thanks on the injector info. My rough math put me at 78 so I was at least close.

Hopefully I will pick this up quickly. So does XFI Street also use the XFI handheld(small) dash?

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Yes, I believe Richard (fastmanefi) mentioned, in an earlier thread, the XFI eDASH is compatible with the XFI Street. It is compatible with XFI Sportsman, so it makes sense to me it would also work with the XFI Street.

You are the first to post a thread here on actually using the new XFI Street upgrade. I hope it continues to work well for you, and your experiences using it should be of great benefit to others.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

6. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

So far I'm starting to grasp these tables. One I don't quite get is the AF table. Not sure what cells are each range of idle, cruise, wot.

7. Denis

Denis Member

The Target A/F table sets up what air fuel ratio your engine will have for various operating conditions. Idle on my engine occurs around 49 kPa and 650 RPM with a target A/F of 13.63. Every engine will be different, you need to give the engine what it wants. For example if I try to make it idle at 14.7 A/F I will have a big problem because it just won't run.

The bottom row of the target A/F table is coasting during deceleration I set mine up for a 15.1 A/F in that part of the table because there is no reason to give the engine any more fuel than necessary. However, I do make it richer as I approach idle to give a smooth transition to idle. The top of the table is for wide open throttle and mine is richest (12.4 A/F) at the RPM on the table where my engine makes most HP. I initially ran my engine on a dyno but I was using the target A/F that was in the sample tune and it turns out that after many races I made the top part of the table quite a bit richer and picked up almost a second on my 1/4 mile time.

One thing I did is customize the X and Y axis of this table to match it to my engine parameters. For example the first column in the table is 650 RPM which is my idle speed. The last column on the table is 6500 RPM which is my maximum RPM shift point. I made the RPM steps on the table in 300 RPM increments up to 3000 RPM and 500 RPM above 3000 RPM.

I also customized the kPa steps on the table so that except for the bottom and top of the table all the steps were 6 kPa. At the top of the table I used 4 kPa steps and the bottom the biggest step was 9 kPa. I found that by using linear steps in the middle of the table the interpolate functions seemed get better results when for example tuning the VE table.

Once you setup this table C-Com will carry the RPM and kPa steps to all of the other tables such as the Base Spark Table and the VE Table, that use these parameters.

A laptop computer is a big help in tuning as you can log a drive or a race and then take the log and tune the engine with the log. I use a 24 inch screen on my desktop computer and put the log on the left half of the screen and the VE table on the right side of the screen and the cursor on VE table will tell you exactly where you are as you step through the log. Great tuning tool!!

This is no doubt more than you ever wanted to know about this subject but hopefully it will help as you learn how to tune your XFI. I love mine. Before I got XFI my idle speed was 800 RPM, now with a more radical cam it idles at 650 RPM. Really fools the guys at the drag strip. The drivability is great too, no surging or hesitating, just smooth power. I have even driven the car in San Francisco without any issues.

Be glad to help you anytime.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

I have the street version so no timing tables to work on. I think I have a reasonable ve table to start with. I'm having issue with AF table. It graphs inverse of VE table so having issue wrapping my head around the chart. Do you have an example of the 3D graph of what a AF table should look like for a upper mild engine?

Thanks for the info

9. Denis

Denis Member

Sorry for the verbage about XFI. I completely overlooked the fact that you were talking about the street version.

With regard to the graph of the Target AF Table, I only use it to make sure I haven't goofed and put some weird value in the table as it will show up in the graph. I just use the table when I am setting things up.

Attached is a screen shot of my Target AF Table. The top of the table is most likely too rich for your engine. I was racing about 10 feet above sea level and arrived at 12.4 A/F where my engine was making peak HP. I also ended up making the cruise part of the table a little richer than I expected it to be as the car tended to surge a little when I leaned it out. My engine makes about 500 HP.

Bottom line is that your target A/F table needs to provide what the engine wants rather than what someone thinks it should be.

Attached Files:

10. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

Thank You. My AF table had more variances and sharper peaks..

11. LnL

LnL Member

Denis, how do you change the X & Y axis values? I have Sportsman XFI, and have not figured out how to change these. Thanks!

12. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Click on the number you want to change (cursor changes to a hand) and it will allow you to change each number one at a time.

LnL likes this.
  13. LnL

LnL Member

Thanks!! That did it, I knew there was a way :)