Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZ-EFI - worked yesterday, not today

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Tony B., Aug 5, 2013.

1. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Yup - did that on recommendation of FAST Tech to check if fuel map was messed up.
    Did exact same thing - flooding by 2x too much fuel.

I think I covered that back on Page 5 when I discovered I had to lie to the system to reduce fuel by 50%
    (either by pushing up injector # or fuel pressure numbers).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
  2. Webby

Webby Member

OK sorry. It was just a thought.

3. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

4. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

I'm pretty sure I jumped through all the hoops and have exhausted all methods to diagnose this thing.
    And been CIVIL about it. Any suggestions I get at this point are repeats or suspiciously sound like guesses.

I haven't got any more information regarding the XFI Sportsman and how to connect it to EZ-EFI 1.0
    It looks like I may have to build a wiring harness for it, the same as I would for the XFI system ECU.
    If I have to build a harness, that also opens the door to use ANY other programmable ECU - doesn't have to be FAST.

Of course I would then only be using the Throttle Body from the kit I bought, with no use for the ECU, handheld unit, wiring harness etc.
    Not sure if I can return kit minus TB for a price adjusted refund???

Need Matt Maxwell in on this. (I still have to return "test ECU" in any case)

I looked at my receipt from last year and my warranty ends June 6 - SOON!!

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO??

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  5. shelbydogg

shelbydogg Member

I would return it and ask for an adjusted price on the 2.0 EZ-EFI. If you are sick and tired of FAST, return it and try the Edelbrock system. My friend has one and loves the Bluetooth touchpad.

I have 2 ez-efi V1 cars with a 3rd one getting wired up. You can't beat the price, but if you can't get them to work with your setup, it could be your setup. Try a different brand then come back here and tell us how or if it worked on your engine.

6. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

I like the look and fit of the EZ-EFI TB. That part worked out well (others would be to big to fit "my space").
    Besides, I already have the fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel lines and linkages all built to suit. Don't want to start from scratch.
    Rewiring the engine for EFI (will need a new engine wiring harness) and another computer is work enough.

Cool - another Pace Car. I notice they turn heads when on the street.
    I had an older couple driving a Bentley Convertible checking me out. ;)
    Mine's a 3.4L SD4 race engine http://www.indypacecars.com/1984.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  7. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Need information on the EZ-EFI injectors in the Throttle Body - can't seem to find clear data.

Rating at 45psi fuel pressure?
    Looks like they are 12V constant, the ECM providing Ground Signal?
    High or low impedance?
    These aren't "peak and hold" are they?

8. shelbydogg

shelbydogg Member

The Holley system can drive high or low impedance injectors. The FAST injectors are High impedance so you can go with any system. to control it.

Had my Pace Car at out Rock&Roll radio car show yesterday. Many have never seen one from this year. Ez-Efi V1, running on a multi-point manifold with a Holley throttle body with the top injectors removed. Taking it on the 4000 mile Hot Rod Power Tour in 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Tech support doesn't even answer emails any more.

And I see a couple other threads where people are stuck with unsolvable problems too.
    So I know it is not "just you and your quirky car" as some may think.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS?

Do I send it back to FAST (if they'll take it that is).

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. shelbydogg

shelbydogg Member

We gave you all of the things that have worked for us. I told you what I would do. Some cars will not work with EFI due to unknown reasons. Yours seems to be one of them. That is why I would try a different brand then see if that works.

Some things you have to figure out yourself and let us know how you fixed it. How about building a signal multiplier that converts your 4 cylinder spark signal to an 8 cylinder, then lie to the ECU and tell it you have a 8 cylinder?
    Most of us have it running well on V8s.

11. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Tony
    Here's what i would do.

1) buy a Holley HP EFI with unterminated harness
    2) adapt the Holley harness to your EZ harness

Optionally: I see on post#95 your intake manifold has bosses cast in. You could drill those and install stock Corvette injectors (they can be had cheap many people swap them) and convert to multiport EFI with the Holley unit and a universal Holley harness. Holley has the HP ECU work both with a TBI type throttle body (very similar to the one FAST has) and multipoint.

Why do I recommend this ? Well for two reasons mainly. The HP EFI is wayyyyy better to help you troubleshoot any issue. It works with TBI or multipoint.For someone like me with my professional background I simply like the way the Holley thing lets you get in the parameters. Second, it self tunes amazingly rapidly.
    I have both systems, don't get me wrong the EZ-EFi worked for me, but I think I will swap it for a Holley. I have another car with the Holley system. Both were easy to install but the Holley software is better IMHO.
    The EZ I have currently on a SBC but that motor is going out in favour of a built LS1 with a big cam and honestly the black-box oriented design of the EZ may not help there and the Holley software I am sure will be okay. I plan to map the FAST harness already on the car to the HP ECU like I said above (this setup akin to the Terminator TBI Holley sells). On the other car the LS1 is not modded but I wanted multiport, and Victor Jr and headers, the Holley unit was impressive with this setup, both in getting it to run and fine tuning.

There are lot of options out there. Considering you have an unusual setup I would believe the black box design of the EZ does not act in your favour. You need more observability on the inner parameters and you need more control. I say go Holley.

12. gtsman

gtsman Member

Tony
    I've read most of your trouble shooting here, maybe I missed it, but did you try lowering the fuel pressure?. Some of the pressure gauges are off by as much as 15psi right out of the box. If you haven't tried this yet, turn the pressure down to about 30psi, but don't tell the ECU, let it think it's still at 43, if that helps ( a lot ), I would try a new pressure gauge.

13. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Tony
    I searched high and low all over to find someone ever installing an aftermarket EFI system (let it be the EZ EFI, Holley HP, MSD EFI etc) on a 4 cylinder engine and actually have found none. All the 4 bangers I have seen converted to EFI were by means of Megasquirt. Typically small motors in british classic cars (MG etc).
    This is interesting because all systems are advertised as 4 cylinder capable. If all installs are done on V8 motors, you were actually debugging the thing.
    Time to move on IMHO
    Patrick

14. Webby

Webby Member

I would save money and hassle and carry on lying to it! However it would still bug me A LOT!

15. Tony B.

Tony B. Member

Thanks Patrick.
    I found the same thing - though supposedly EZ-EFI is running in 4-cylinder applications somewhere.

It seems I had a case of "there's nothing wrong - but it just won't work right".
    The hardware fits and worked well, but I gave up on this ECU's self-tuning...

[​IMG]

... and went the DIY route. I kept only the FAST EZ-EFI throttle body, rebuilt the factory wiring harness (original engine had a 1-injector TBI) and installed a 8192 baud Delco 1227165 ECM with an NVRAM module (replaces the Memcal) from pcmhackers.net to run the car. With TunerPro RT (a $40 program) this slick combination gives you the ability to Flash BINs into the ECM, Real-Time Emulation (run directly off the laptop making as-you-drive changes) and record Datalogs of all engine parameters for later playback/review directly through the ALDL port. The Check Engine light now functions exactly as before too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started with a modded $12P BIN for Camaro 350 TPI w/SD - changed parameters to TBI, 4-cylinders and fuel rate to suit the 2-injector setup.
    It started on the second crank - and ran not bad at all! Proof of concept confirmed! No exhaust leak problems or "interference" problems. :)

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I'm running the engine with WideBand O2, also added a Knock Sensor and switched back to the factory ECM controlled ignition system.

So EVERYTHING in the ECM's tuning is entirely accessible and custom-programmable exactly as the XFI System (for about $550).

I was able to put this together easily enough, but the TunerPro RT learning curve is like a steep vertical cliff for me.
    I have Dave W. at Old School EFI (on gearhead-efi.com ) working with me to tune the BIN.
    It's an ongoing process because there's no factory tuned BIN for anything close to this, but getting better with each BIN I flash into the ECM. [​IMG]
    Once we're done, we can switch it to VE Learn and let it self-tune from that point on.

I've been driving it almost daily since I installed this - and never been towed home once!!

Cheers,

TunerPro TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software
    PCM Hackers pcmhacking.net - Index page
    GearHead EFI GearHead EFI Forums
    Those with other GM ECMs can get XFI type functionality by upgrading to a new ECM from DynamicEFI

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014