Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Ez tcu on 4l80e

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by 87ccchevy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Well, I'm to this place for help as last resort . Tci/ fast support stinks .. this will be last product I ever buy from them . Was gonna add fast efi this summer I'll be going to another brand now . Anyway 3 weeks of unanswered emails to tci tech . Complete rerouting of harnesses 3 times now , hooking up all power sources direct to battery , still getting commloss error while coasting , if I'm on throttle I never get comm loss , about to tear this whole setup out of the truck . Ohh I have no error codes at all . 3 yrs of building this truck and $30k in parts now still can't drive it . Pretty fed up with low quality parts !!

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Call TCI Tech at 888-776-9824. http://www.tciauto.com

TCI is a different facility in Mississippi. - It is just a member of the COMP Performance Group.

3. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Called them finally today after weeks of no email replies . got the run around . Said for me to buy wire shield wrap and wrap or slip it over all the wires for the controller with it . Ohh just what the customers wanna do buy $60 to $150 in wire shield undo all the wiring that's hard wired to fix their garbage setup !! If the systems that sensitive the darn thing should come wrapped from factory !!

4. Denis

Denis Member

I have a PCS TCU on my 4L60E and have had my share of issues. I have also had issues with my XFI ECU. All systems can have issues and changing form one system to another may not solve anything. PCS makes one of the TCI TCU's and for all I know they may make the EZ TCU also.

If you want to see if shielding makes a difference, buy a roll of aluminum foil and wrap foil around the TCU wires where they go across the firewall all the way to the controller. No need to wrap from firewall to trans.

Tell a little more about the issue you are having. Do you have efi? Is the com error you are getting on a serial to usb connection to a laptop or a direct connection one of the TCI boxes? Where is your com device getting power and ground from? Is the TCU connected direct to the battery for both ground and 12V?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  5. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

I get comm loss error when coasting down a hill , to a stop light , whenever truck is at idle but is moving ,, it's a complete system com reset not just the handheld .. know this because trans goes into what seems backup and drops to lower gears and unlocks converter , then wants to slam back into gear . I have really no wires for the tcu system on the fire wall .. even the main pos/neg feed wires from battery are across the top of the rad support you themselves .. it's a 87 k30 Chevy not a lot of wires in the truck and yes all the factory Tbi and harness is gone.. went from a 350 engine to a now 496bb My msd ignition is on passenger inner fender . And the tcu is on the drivers inner fender really nothing on drivers side that should be causing interference .. washer pump is only thing on driver side .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  6. Denis

Denis Member

Sounds like you have a fairly clean installation and should not be getting any interference from the ignition system or any of the other wiring. One thing that could be causing the problem is grounding. The frame, and body should be grounded to the engine. I use a strap from the frame to the bell housing and another strap from the back of the driver's side cylinder head to a brake booster bolt to ground the body. Is it possible that the com error happens when you put on the brake? If so it is definitely a grounding issue. You should also use resistor sparkplugs and TVRS plug wires. Solid plug wires are definitely a problem for any electronics. The alternator can also be a source of electrical noise. However, it is unlikely that ignition or alternator noise would only be an issue during coasting. I use braded wire for grounding, however lacking that you could use some #6 wire with solder lugs for a reasonably good ground. Keep the wire short as possible.

7. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Well , I actually replaced all the ground straps frame to engine , engine to body , all brand new from lmc truck . Actually added a cpl also . Now here's a kicker . I took one throttle return spring off to lighten the throttle pedal ( which I have to put back on ) throttle stays up around 8-900 rpm now and not getting full return to the 650 rpm idle it's set for . Well as long as I don't blip the throttle to get it to drop rpm all way to 650 rpm while coasting or coming to a stop , (and applying brakes has no effect while on or off ). I have way less or well pretty much zero comm loss issues as long as engine rpm stays up . . If I didn't state it I have no active codes before or after the commloss . Tps was set at .5v at idle /650rpm .. have good voltage all way through full throttle (4.2v ) also . I'm running accel 300+ wires which supposedly have rfi suppression .. msd billet distributor and a new msd 6al box . I'm gonna try and move the tps sensor farther towards or to the drivers side fender well .. it's the only thing at all somewhat close to the ignition .

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. Denis

Denis Member

Does the MSD distributor have vacuum advance? If it does, disable it and see what happens. Could be making increased EMI due to rotor phasing at maximum advance during deceleration.

Your grounding sounds more than adequate. You should not be having a problem and I am somewhat at a loss to say what the cause of your problem is. However here are some things that you might consider. My MSD 6AL box was a terrible source of electrical noise on the 12V system due to the trunk mounted battery that I have. With your battery in the engine compartment you will not have the issues that I had but the MSD can still be a noise source. In EFI installations some people have solved interference issues by connecting the MSD 12V line to the starter solenoid rather than the battery. I ended up putting a large capacitor right at my MSD box across the 12V source. MSD sells a capacitor to kill the 12V noise from the box. If I was troubleshooting this installation I would pull the 12V battery from my riding mower and temporarily connect the 12V feed to the MSD to it and ground the battery to the block and see if it makes a difference. I would also try temporarily wrapping some of the TCU wires with foil to see if it had any effect. If you are using 12V off of the ignition switch to power any of your sensors you could be getting electrical noise to you sensors. I use a relay and get power directly from the battery for the sensors I have. The relay is operated by the ignition switch. Relocating the TPS sensor may help. My TPS wiring goes along where the intake meets the head on the passenger side and then runs under the distributor and through the firewall. My ECU and TCU are under the dash in my car. One other thing you could try is to unbolt the TCU from where you have it mounted and temporarily tie it in place so that the TCU case is not touching ground. My ECU uses a case ground and a ground from the battery that are tied together inside of the box. I never checked my TCU to see if it is also but if it is a ground loop could be an issue and it is easy to test for.

9. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

I have a full mechanical distributor , my tps (carb engine for now) has the cable which allows tps sensor itself to be mounted anywhere within say 4ft of carb . I have it on fire wall and tps wires loomed in along rubber washer squirter lines a inch from the cowl seal . I'm def going to look into filtering the msd power , especially since it's a low/lowest rpm problem . All other electrical items (lights , heater blower, wipers , etc don't seem to have any effect . Seems msd and alternater are the only things I haven't separated or filtered yet .

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  10. Denis

Denis Member

With regard to the alternator, you can try driving with the headlights on and see if that makes a difference. If the alternator is the source of the problem just adding some load could change the characteristics enough to make a difference. You can also try disconnecting it although even disconnected there can be a magnetic field produced by the alternator that can inductively couple interference. The MSD noise filter capacitor for the ignition is, MSD 8830. It looks like Amazon has the best price on it. I used a 28,000 microfarad 20V capacitor that I got surplus in my car for filtering in several places including on my MSD 6AL.

11. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

well doubt it's the alternator then I drive with headlights on quite a bit / midnight shift , and cold this week so heater blower been on also. I have the msd capacitor in my cart for summit racing already since I have to return a bad fuel pump . So the msd capacitor is the next step and ordering 3m shielding tape for the fast tcu harness . Also thank you everyone for the advice so far !! Much appreciated .

12. Denis

Denis Member

Was rereading the posts above and I realized I missed something. If your hand held is getting power from the cigarette lighter or off of the ignition switch you could be getting voltage glitches on the source to the handheld that could cause the issue. Try powering the handheld directly from the battery and see if that fixes the issue. This has been an issue on some efi installs.

13. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Well my tcu switched wire is off the keyed side of the fuse block using its own circuit and my display right now is in the lighter port .. so 2 questions
    1) when the handheld is in lighter port and get a comm loss , does it also commloss the tcu itself . Because mine does .. drops tcc lock and drops to lowest gear it can for speed you moving . Almost like a deep downshift .
    2) my Keyed tcu wire has the capacitor mod already applied like I read in another thread here . But should I still just put it straight to battery on a toggle switch . Which is in my opinion ridiculous , to have to get in every time and throw switches all the time . Plus can be forgotten and left on .. which does it also means I have to do same for the handheld display ?? ..

14. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

I have to say , this is quite sad that the quality of this setup is so low , unsheilded harnes (if it's so sensitive it should be shielded by the manufacturer). If it's voltage isssues then they should supply or preinstall a darn filter , capacitor something .. support tells me wrap harness with foil from my kitchen and nothing else to help solve the problem .. Just what a customer wants to hear . !! I understand theres bugs with new installs.. but this is getting ridiculous . I'm ordering 2 msd capicitors , installing 1 on msd, 1 on feed wires to the tcu also . Ordering the 3m sheild tape to put over the harnesses , gonna move handheld power now to try it , and direct power tcu switched power to a toggle. . Plug and play system my rear .. hate to see the nightmare with their efi systems ! Fed up and frustrated ..!!! At this point I'm ready to just change to a full manual valve body and throw this computer setup in the junk pile ! If I hadn't had the drive shaft shortened already to fit this trans I'd just install a 5 speed manual .

15. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

All new shift solenoids and new gm internal harness . But still a possibility I guess .

16. Denis

Denis Member

Just disconnect the handheld from the system and see what happens. The issue with the handheld is because of voltage differences between the 12V battery voltage that the TCU sees and the cockpit voltage that is at the lighter plug. The lighter plug will also have noise on it that the TCU will not have. Best way to fix this if it proves to be the issue is to put a relay inline with a fused wire from the battery and key the relay off of the ignition switch. You can feed both the handheld and TCU switched feed from this source.
    In my opinion the need for shielded wire is nonsense. I do not know of any factory installs that use shielded wire and I have not seen the need for it in anything I have. One person on this forum did solve a noise issue with foil shielding. The one place where shielding should be used is with inductive pickups as the signal level is so low that any noise can be a real deal breaker.

17. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Well installed the msd capacitors . A nice new aed throttle linkage/cable bracket to keep things more stabil .. set the tps again at .7v -3.9v sweep . Took truck for a ride yesterday seemed to work very well .. jumped in truck tonight to go to town for a cpl of things truck is slam shifting again . Scroll down on handheld display the tps sensor is stuck on 34% . Wtf !! Pulled I gas station popped the hood the tps is gone from the red bracket . (I have the cable actuated tps for holleys carbs ). Well apparently cheap aluminum studs tci used to put this thing together that have pencil lead size threads can't handle being in a 1ton crew cab with a big block .. huh wonder if I can get replacements or if the jerks are gonna make me buy a whole new setup . !!

18. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Wow . Critters really like your vehicles .. I live out in farm land so it could be possible . But never had any that I know of .

19. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Geez you got your hands full there , coyotes are the only big problem here in eastern Ohio . They have wiped out most of the other rodent/ varmint population .. if not a critter just the vibration alone I could see these aluminum tiny studs breaking though . Starting to wonder if one stud hasn't been broken for a while letting tps sensor vari in reading a touch causing issues .

20. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member