Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Ez tcu on 4l80e

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by 87ccchevy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Well brand new transmission over $5k again , msd capacitor installed inline with msd , capacitors in-line with power to tcu , over a year later and can’t drive this truck , comm loss error whole system still reboots , not just the handheld , some help with this please before I smash the whole system to bits !! This darn thing will work great for a bit then goes all haywire . So sick and fed up with a freakin Truck I can’t drive ..

2. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

The tcu is direct to battery , the distributor is a msd probillet , I have the msd capacitor installed in the feed wires to the msd box , the neg for the msd is hooked to the main neg but not the right at the engine block .. I’m seeing ppl posting to wire the handheld power same as the tcu it’s self . Mines still plugged into cigarette lighter , could this be the issue ?? But really why put a lighter plug in on the darn thing in the first place if that’s causing so many ppls issues .?? Also my remote tps I just noticed , to keep min .8v at idle is now like 1/3 of the way through it’s swipe . I barley have 1/16 at wot to hitting limit of tps movement .. now for that tps , since these parts stores can’t find their own balls if they don’t have make and model .. what vehicle used this gm tps sensor so I can replace it today see if that helps .???? I think it actually maybe causing some of the issue again as things worked pretty well for a while then this crap started again . Ohh and I just looked up my plug wires 150ohms per ft . Accel 300+ wires

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  3. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

No the ditributor Is mechanical advance and not locked out .. just did tune up , new cap ,button and plugs . So nothing is burned . And with the vehicle not running just key on the tps with a 2 different volt meters had to be moved a good ways across its swipe limit to get a start of .8v at idle , and it has gotten progressively worse over time . I’ve Had to adjust it a cpl Times now to keep that .8v minimum at idle . Can’t see how just key on is gonna change the voltage reading.. no ignition firing and no alt turning . When voltage is applied to a rheostat in same position as set before it should be the same later.. wires now I can see being a problen with the ohms which I never even thought to Check . Been digging so much have gotten brain fried I guess .

4. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Well I just went through every brand wire summit sells for a big block chevy and not one is listed at only 40ohms . Summit brand which I will not buy anything with their brand on ( everything has been garbage I’ve bought of theirs ) or msd wires. Are the closest at 50 ohm , so who makes a true 40 ohm wire .. ??

5. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

Holy crap , I moved negatives all over , positives all over , added capictors to Keyed power wires to tcu and hendheld . Wires handheld direct also no more cigarette lighter outlet , disconnected alternator . Nothing helped ! 30 seconds at idle if lucky and non stop comm loss , hold at 1000rpm or above no comm loss .. 8am -2pm messing with the thing , finally just happen to reach in and pull the tcu to handheld link cable 8” up higher on the fenderwell away from engine , steady blue light for 45min at idle , ( its p clamped as far away as possible Now ) so I also pulled the plug wire loops from valve cover to spark plug tighter to block and even farther away from tcu and the link cable .. think it got worse after the tune up because when we put wires in the wire looms we left them out farther lops to plugs and they got to close to the tcu wires !! But a 68 mile round trip to work last night and not one comm loss .. rainy , cold , rough roads , 40 ohm plug wires are being ordered ASAP !! Sux because these accel 300+ have been best fit on chevy big blocks with long tube headers !! Now to find the wires I can use ! now if summit racing were right next door the plug wires may have been first on the list of tries!! Lol
    thank you very very much AA !!

6. 87ccchevy

87ccchevy New Member

the tcu is on the opposite side of the F****** Truck , it’s back to doing it again , I’m tell ya tci can shove this garbage up there rears , I’ve spent days upon days working on this over a year now , not counting $100’s more buying wire, capacitors , terminals ,now plug wires , groundstraps ( enough to handle a lightning bolt . I’m fed up , garabage ! Complete total garbage . I work on electrical systems on locomotives with ac / dc voltages , very high voltages and computer systems to run them and don’t have this much trouble .. ridiculous .. sob was fine for 90 miles not one glitch then back to same crap again !! This is a daily driver not a toy For weekends .. when ya need the vehicle to get to work priority / reliability really comes into play .and No I can’t send it back because I have to have a vehicle .. fed up and completely pissed off at this point ..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017