Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

EZEFI no injector click at key on

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by nmyers87, Sep 3, 2011.

1. nmyers87

nmyers87 New Member

Hi, just wondering if you guys have run across this. I just got a new ecu b/c my last one had a bad circuit which was flooding the engine with fuel. Its been running fine, better than initially in fact until i was hospitalized mon and on today which is sat, i went to start the truck and noticed there was no click of the injectors at key on. So I checked to make sure the fuel pump was working and it does prime at key on but then the motor just turns over and over. I didnt have my multimeter to check the inj connectors. I did visually inspect the harness and its relays for obvious problems and came up empty handed. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. This is really starting to bum me out on fuel injection. Thanks.

2. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

Lake Havasu City AZ.. but mostly travel tuning
    The clicking sounds is usually the fuel pump relay turning it on when you key on. You shouldn't hear the injectors from inside the truck. Any errors?
    From what you are saying the engine is not getting fuel?

3. nmyers87

nmyers87 New Member

ohh, i thought the clicking was the injectors priming the throttle body. There were no errors on the handheld. i could hear the fuel pump kick on and then back off after a second or two for the priming. Actually i just found a copy of the manual and it describes the "pre-squirt" as a clicking heard from the throttle body which is what im referring to. If thats not happening, my next step will be to check the injector connectors right? And if Im not getting anything from them its most likely in the ecu again? Im not near the truck right now to check anything but I wanted to go ahead and have a plan of attack. Thanks again.

4. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

The injector will have 12v on one side with the key on. The ecu then grounds the other side to turn on the injector.

You can check this with a digital volt meter. You could also use a noid light that plugs into the injector connector. Do not use a test light.

5. Webby

Webby Member

My injectors make a really loud clicking noise at key on. However that doesn't repeat until engine has run or ecu reset.

6. TurboNova

TurboNova Active Member

The injectors will click and prime some fuel when keyed on. The fuel pump will also prime then shut off. They will not restart until the ecu sees rpm.

7. SoCal

SoCal New Member

Webby is right, the injector clicking only happens at the first key-on after the engine has run. Not at every key-on so you don't get a bunch of unnecessary shots of fuel if you were just turning the key on to operate the radio, windows, whatever. If all else is well, the engine should still start just fine without pre-squirt - may just take a few revolutions. So the absence of pre-squirt isn't a major deal by itself. If you can get the engine running, it should come back.

Any chance your TPS calibratinon is out of whack? If TPS is high (~ 80+) while cranking, the ECU will be in flood clear mode - no opening of the injectors.

Do you still have spark? Does the handheld still show an RPM value while cranking?

8. nmyers87

nmyers87 New Member

The injectors are not receiving power, do they receive power through the ECU right? Is there anything I can check/try? Everything else seems to be in working order apart from the injectors loss of power.

9. SoCal

SoCal New Member

Power for the injectors is from the relay in the harness. Relay pin 3. The ECU grounds the other injector pin to make them fire. Check out attached diagram - same one as in the instructions.

You can check the relay and fuse. You can check to make sure your 12V Switched wire is getting power - at key-on and while cranking. Does your O2 sensor get hot (it should) with the key on? That gets powered the same way the injectors do. So if it was a relay / fuse / 12V switched issue, you would expect the O2 sensor to not heat up.

If you check for power at the injectors by putting a meter across two injector pins, you may not see it that way. You would need to put one lead of the meter to an orange injector wire and the other lead to a ground. That should confirm whether or not you have power at the injectors. You can try it with just key on and also while cranking.

Attached Files:

10. Old66Goat

Old66Goat New Member

At key on, my injectors fire off about 6-8 times and the pump primes. The injectors are really loud. Almost too loud.