Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Fast distributor - rotor and cap broken

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Roger Mabry, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Roger Mabry

Roger Mabry Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Was almost 100 miles from home and the car stopped... lifted the hood to find the rotor and the two screws totally missing and the cap broken into five pieces. Got towed home and ordered new distributor cap kit. Be on for about 4000 miles with zero problems.. next time will use LocTite on the screws for the rotor and cap..

Any thing else I should check before installing the new parts tomorrow???

Attached Files:

2. Algamotorsports67

Algamotorsports67 Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Same problem, had fast send me a new distributor and cap
  3. Roger Mabry

Roger Mabry Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Can anyone confirm the #1 cap position? #1 one wire has the white label on it. There is no band on the old cap or the new as per the original instructions.
    Cap was broken so badly I could not tell where to start this time. The black mark on the edge of the distributor was there from the original install - I think
    I put it there for #1 while doing the initial crank timing for the dual sync distributor. It tries to start but will not stay running. I put blue LocTite on the cap
    screws this time....

I could not find any damage to the distributor and all the spark plug wires are still in good shape and look OK

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2014
    I've never bothered looking for plug wire marks on caps. I find number one cap position the same way I always have. With the Dual Sync, just follow the setup procedure - and the rotor will be pointing to number one. Depending on where you engage the distributor gear with the cam, you can make any position you choose the number one position.
  5. Roger Mabry

Roger Mabry Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Found the schematic on Jeg's site and then on Fast.. supposed to be a shrink wrap piece on #1 terminal when new... not on new replacement caps though.
    If you follow their instructions, you need the correct #1 terminal:

1. Verify that the module in the distributor is installed in the 0° position. (Refer to the
    instructions included with the distributor for details.)
    2. Roll the engine over to 30° BTDC.
    3. Set the distributor to the #1 position and drop it into the engine. Do not clamp it down yet.
    4. Set the cap on the distributor and mark the middle of the #1 terminal on the distributor
    body. Remove the cap.
    5. Rotate the distributor body until the center of the mark you made is lined up with the center
    of the rotor tip. Then clamp down the distributor and install the cap.
    6. Your crank signal is now set and your rotor is phased. Because the FAST™ Dual-Sync
    Distributor is pre-phased at 30° BTDC, lining up the rotor tip and terminal with the engine
    at 30° BTDC also puts the pickup in the correct location.

Found a yellow piece of plastic type material on the rear of the engine.. hope it is not part of the covering on the
    distributor shaft under the top plate where the module for reading the cylinders is located? Will R&R dizzy today
    to confirm all is well.

Attached Files: