Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

FAST dual sync new install

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by HKMustang99, May 16, 2017.

1. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

chasing a goose in my timing.
    i have read most if not all posts on the installation of a new fast dual sync dizzy.
    i am following the 30 degree btdc procedure with 0 degree position confirmed.
    i understand the instructions in the manual but not clear on "set distributor to #1 position" and drop in.... which way should rotor be pointing the first time you drop the dizzy in ?
    This is a new engine and accessories so no previous markings.

running full fast ez 2.0 system with throttlebody but with sportsman xfi ecu upgrade.
    351W based crate engine from ford racing.

thanks

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The rotor should be pointing to where you intend for #1 to be after the distributor is seated and the cap is on.

You should take #1 piston to TDC and mark the "0" position at the balancer. From there, you can use a degree wheel to find the other degree settings. #1 is front passenger side on your Ford.

3. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

we are on the same step. I am installing a full fast ezefi 2.0 and don't understand the ezefi instructions. But after read many posts you need to read the distributor installation manual first. The ezefi manual does not explain how to set the distributor. As i understand and as i done on mine, first you turn engine over and stop at tdc on #1 compression stroke and after you drop the distributor with the tip of the rotor pointing the rear of the car as you want. After you power on the distributor, you find when the green led on(cam led) ,while you turn the house of the distri clockwise (ford). This step give to the distri the #1 cylinder as i understand. After, you turn the house of the distri until the crank led light on and so on. The most important is that the #1 plug wire is on the #1 plug on the cap to match with this procedure. For me yes it is not easy to understand the first time. Is anybody confirm this procedure ?

4. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

Thanks AA once again , I dropped in the dizzy and just made sure that after the drop in the rotor was directly below the #1 terminal on the cap.
    After I fired it up I locked timing on the sportsman ecu and then had to twist around 23 degrees to match the 20 degree locked position of the ecu.
    It has been doing very well today and timing issue except for low rpm seem to have disappeared.
    At thge same time the HP rating and perhaps race application cause my engine not to look running below 2000 rpm , idling is good though...

Thanks again

5. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

Hi Fast no fast , the instructions are clear to me except the original first drop in of dizzy.
    I recommend you follow the 30 degree installation for your EZ 2.0 as it has worked for me , the 0 degree installation relying on the cam/crank signal did not work for me and apparently did not work for a few other members on the forum.

Good luck

6. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

Thanks Hk. i will try again the 30 degree installation. Do you confirm that i need to have the module inside the distributor at 0 degree ? As i read in the distributor manual, it isn't possible to use 50 degree with EZ EFI ?
    I don't understand why they told about One degree reference angle and we don't have 1 degree inside the module but 0 !

7. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

I agree there is some confusing information , the 1 degree installation refers to the module being in the 0 degree position(it should be shipped from factory with the 0 degree position)
    As AA has pointed out , it is very important that you have a correct TDC mark on your crank , roll the engine to 30 degrees BTDC and drop dizzy in with rotor pointing to the #1 terminal(as per AA advise) , verify this before you start by taking the cap of and making sure that the rotor is in the middle below the #1 terminal.
    Start the car and then lock the timing (which in your case will be automatically done in the set up wizard to 20 degrees) , take a timing light and verify the crank shows the the same timing , if not move the dizzy to match the ecu.
    That is what I did and it worked for me , eventually...

8. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

I have already tried that but i will try again. I'm sure tdc is at the correct position on the damper because before, engine started successfully with his old holley carb.
    Thanks hk.

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Be sure the injectors are firing. They won't fire unless everything is wired, and the ignition type menu is set, correctly. Also, check you plumbed the regulator to TBI correctly.

10. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

I just checked and set the distributor as you said. The damper is at 30 btdc. When i crank and use a timing light the light blink at 12degrees btdc after adding 2 degrees on the ezefi app. That's seems to be good. With the carb and hei that was the initial timing to crank. But no start. I removed the throttle body and put it upside down and checked the injectors. When i crank ,the 8 injectors firing correctly. The jet is going far from the body. Right now no more ideas. Only that i see a leak under the throttle body coming from the allen screw. It is not normal. This screw is used to block the spring inside the body for the fuel damper.

11. HKMustang99

HKMustang99 New Member

I dont think your problem is with the distributor.
    To start you should not be adding timing on the EZ EFI ecu if engine is not running , it should start and run and then you verify the timing (should be locked at 20 degrees during your set-up process)
    If your injectors are firing properly and there are no error codes on the ecu , i would look at spark next , check your plugs are getting spark.
    Are you using the Fast CD ignition or MSD ?

12. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

I confirm i have no error code. I use msd 6al. Point out of the ecu is connected to the white wire of msd. I tried with a spark plug #1 out and i have a good spark on the plug.

13. Denis

Denis Member

Check your timing with a timing light while cranking and see where it is.

14. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

Thats what i done. 12 BTDC while cranking.

15. Denis

Denis Member

Do you have 12V at the injectors during cranking? The 12V that is switched on the accessory side of the ignition switch is not on during cranking.

16. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

Yes denis. Injectors are firing when i look inside the throttlebody

17. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

And you also have 12 degrees in the ECU?

18. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

In the ecu i don't change the factory 20 degrees for idle timing. I add only.2 degrees on the other screen (don't remember which one)

19. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

Fyi here is the leak i see under the TB. From the hole.
    IMG_20170519_073003.jpg

20. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

IMG_20170518_213535_resized_20170519_123534131.jpg IMG_20170518_215904_resized_20170519_123534555.jpg IMG_20170518_222513_resized_20170519_123534718.jpg Here are some pictures. Everything is checked. I don't understand why there are oil inside the connector!