Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

FAST XDi Street HEI Distributor mechanical advance limit question.

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by skinny z, Jul 7, 2018.

1. skinny z

skinny z New Member

Looking through the paperwork that came with this distributor I see that up to 34° of mechanical advance is available. I'd like to limit that amount to about 14 (crankshaft degrees). I run 20° of initial timing and am looking for 34° total (initial of 20 plus 14 centrifugal).
    A conventional (non-HEI) Chevy distributor uses a limiting bushing to tailor the total advance available. I see no such bushing or hard stop on the FAST unit. Only the limiting plate for the vacuum advance.
    Ultimately I'm looking for curve that starts the advance at 1000 RPM and is all in before 3000 (2500-3000 depending on the tuning process).
    What are my options? Old school was to weld up the advance slot in the HEI and grind it to an appropriate size.
    Thanks in advance.
    HEI.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. skinny z

skinny z New Member

I watched a lot of Petticoat Junction but I don't recall Uncle Joe (movin' kind of slow) ever working on a SBC distributor.
    That said, am I into a situation where I have to fab or modify what I bought? Disassembly reveals the advance slot and pin (two actually) however my selection of bushings don't fit the pin or the slot.

4r.jpg

5r.jpg

3. skinny z

skinny z New Member

I think I found an answer on my own.
    So much for the CPG Nation or FAST tech support.