Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Fast XFI coil on plug conversion for sbc

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Blownnova72, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Blownnova72

Blownnova72 New Member

I am looking to convert over to a coil on plug ignition on my current setup. My question was what exactly do I need, I went on FAST site and tried to call them but didn’t get any clear answers.
    My current set up is a SBC with Fast XFI 2.0, msd crank trigger and the cam sync in the distributor. I’m using the MSD ProGrid boxes for my ignition currently, so I know those would go. I Know I need the XIM box, and would connect that via the CAN to the XFI.
    Would I leave the cam and crank sensors on the XFI or would I need to get a wiring harness for the XIM to hook up to those sensors directly to the XIM? Which wiring harness would I need?
    I am looking at the AEM IGBT smart coils, anyone have any experience with them? Thanks everyone in advanced

2. Turbobitt

Turbobitt Member

You will need the XIM, and most likely a universal harness. The cam and crank will go directly into the XIM and the XIM will have crank and cam outputs to the XFI. There will also be a CAN connection between the XFI and XIM. Those AEM coils are the same as the Pantera coils, IGN1 coils, and Holley also has them branded under there name. They are probably the hottest coil on the market for CNP.
    Sorry, can't help you with the harness P/N but if you refer to the various wiring instructions in the XFI help menu then it may be of some help.
    AG.

3. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Well-Known Member

I usually sell an XIM kit for an LS and just re-pin the coil connector for the correct firing order. Then you have both the XIM and the harness and that combo is cheaper than buying them separately. Those are great coils and will work well. Crank and cam inputs to the XIM must be re-pinned anyway to match the discrete or IPU signals that you have for from the crank and cam sensors. The output of the XIM plugs directly into the Cam Hall Effect plug on the XFI, and yes the can buss is used as well between the XFI and XIM. Feel free to call me and I can explain more if you want.

4. Blownnova72

Blownnova72 New Member

Awesome, thank you both for the replies. I was thinking that maybe it was possible to use an LS harness and just repin a few things. I appreciate the offer fastmanefi, I will be in touch

5. Juan89

Juan89 New Member

EZ-LS kit for sbc

6. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

Is there a wiring diagram to repin my connecter in the help section in the directions section[​IMG]20171102_113016

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  7. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

8. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

I am using a after market cam and crank sensor, but I don't know if I can use their name in the open forum of FAST. Maybe you can PM me

9. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Well-Known Member

The XIM harness schematic is under Help/Schematics. Just repin to match your coils and make sure you get the correct Cam and Crank signals as well.

10. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

Thanks for the help over the years Rich, the schematic I'm looking at is FAST4-104 301311

11. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member

12. jaros44sr

jaros44sr Member