Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

FAST XFI Sportsman - FAST EFI vehicle #3 - Not Grandpa's Buick

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by A A, Apr 22, 2018.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol, or your great grandpa's Buick. I finally got started again on my 2-dr. 1955 Buick Special yesterday. The to do list is getting long. This vehicle will be getting a XFI Sportsman EFI upgrade, but first I'm changing/upgrading the chassis, suspension, and brakes. The frame is in great shape, but I'm also modifying it for a 1986 Monte Carlo posi-trac rear end with 3.73 gears and drum brakes. The 63 year old Buick rear end and front drum brakes are the first casualties of my rebuild - never liked how I had adapted that antique rear end no matter how unique. Gotta stop good for sure with a 355 Chevy that made just over 468 horsepower with a 750 Holley on a Victor Jr CNC 2900 intake with Brodix Track 1 CNC heads - and the 63 year old braking system was a nightmare accident just waiting to happen. The wrecked '86 donor is also supplying power front seats for the now removed '55 front bench. For the sake of 50 state law enforcement compliance, seat belts are also coming.

The rolling chassis will be using an old set of Centerlines I had stored years back - that still look brand new. I've already purchased new tires for them. Once the frame is re-painted, the floor pedal assembly and power assist brakes will also be changed to a hanging assembly with new brake lines and a new fuel line with return installed. This will be my first fully customized build in quite a while, but it shouldn't be long before a new XFI Sportsman and 2.0 Throttle Body are installed.

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Put the Monte Carlo rolling frame next to the Buick today and started measuring. So far, the Monte rear end looks like it will be a good swap. Pulled one front brake disc, and this even looks to be a good swap to the Buick spindle. Tomorrow, I'll know if using the "86 Monte discs are going to be a fit on the '56 spindles. I know the outer bearing is a good fit - just need to check the inner wheel bearing. If it works, I'll only need some spacers for a perfect fit. Then, I'll investigate what calipers and brackets I want. Wilwood makes a kit, but it uses 5 on 5 rotors and the Monte stuff is 5 on 4 3/4 spacing. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to use a set of 15" 5 on 4 3/4 Centerline Auto Drags I have. Scarebird Classic Brakes also has a kit that uses Astro calipers and Buick Riviera rotors - also 5 on 5.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Although I found the bearings to mount the 10.5" Monte Carlo rotors, I decided against the fabrication needed for calipers - it's not that hard to just change the Monte rear to 5 on 5. I'll get new rims, and store the Centerline Auto Drags for something else. The Wilwood kit will be installed for a easier more standard approach. Still think the no longer made Centerline Auto Drags would have looked great.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Update - I'm adding another room onto my home. I've had six large Pella double pane windows and their screens stored in my garage ever since I built my home over 40 years back. Pella never returned to pick them up, so they must be mine after all this time.;) I've also been restoring my orchard - planting 30 new fruit trees already. So, the Buick has been put on hold. I have also decided I may just modify and craft the '86 Monte Carlo chassis into the '55 Buick body.