Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Hello! My name is Scott or you can just call me Hemi

Discussion in 'Introductions & General Bench Racing' started by 426Hemi, Apr 8, 2017.

1. 426Hemi

426Hemi New Member

Apr 8, 2017
    As the title says I'm Scott but you can call me Hemi. Makes no difference to me. I'm here to learn everything there is to know about the valve train. I've been reading a lot and I mean A LOT of articles online from superchevy, hotrod mag, car craft, engine mag and some other misc sites about how the valve train works together and the effects of cam changes. I know all the basic easy knowledge and I've been digging into the more complex workings of the motor but I encourage and beg for some great articles on understanding the true effects of a cam change. To be more precise the amount of change that occurs. an example being, but I already know this one (but more knowledge on it is still encouraged), cam duration shifts torque up and down the rpm range. More duration less low range torque and with 10° increase equalling bout 500 rpm increase. <-- that's the knowledge I really want when it comes to every piece of the valve train. Any info on intake, exhaust, and ignition systems are also very welcome and anything else about building a good working motor.

I'm not currently building a motor and won't be for a pretty good while and when I do start it'll be a long time till I finish due to not having excess money. But thinking about it and learning everything I can before I start seems better than learning this when i start. Plus it gives me plentiful time to determine exactly how I'll build my motor.

Now my motor. I'll be building a gen 1 SBC 350 bored .030 over with a 3.75in stroker crank, 5.7 rods and aluminum flat top pistons. All forged! Deck will be zeroed with AFR 195cc race heads, 1.6 rockers, 65cc combustion chamber with a dual plane intake on top. I'm shooting for the HP zone of 450-500. I also want to produce lots of torque. For durability and longevity of my motor id like to it at 52-5500 rpm but not 1 rpm more than 6000. I'd like to have a nice loud deep thumping sound with good torquey low end that's fun and streetable with my mid range balls out crazy. This will be close to a street/strip engine but with a little more street in mind. This will be a daily driver and I'd like it to last a very long time.

Before I make up my mind on the rockers I've been leaning far towards the shaft full roller rocker system. As far as I can tell other than price, there's no downsides to the shaft full roller rocker system. Are their any downsides to this rocker system? If not then I made up my mind. Valve train is where I'm putting my money!

Another question I have which led me to this awesome forum that I'm no where close to being done searching thru with all the great conversations, articles and interviews, was without going to super crazy on the cam profile just how much lift can I get on a hydraulic flat tappet at 220 degrees duration. I've been thinking of a roller cam but some articles are making me feel I can do this with a flat tappet and be just perfect if not slightly better for my build but not entirely certain if I can get the lift I want with out getting into to high of duration. I've been thinking of about .525-.550 lift maybe even close to .600 depending on its effect of durability and how crazy the valve springs will need to be.

I'd like to have a discussion with a tech adviser who can help me figure out a good lift, duration, LSA and rocker ratio that would help me achieve what I'm looking for as well as inform and teach me more on cams and share with me some good articles to further improve upon my knowledge of cams.

If anyone can correct me on anything, please do. If you can help me further improve upon how to build a really good motor, please do. Articles are very welcome! I love reading great articles. The longer the better! I can't wait to start chatting it up because I want to learn everything!