Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Help Installing MSD EFI Cam Sync Dist w/ FAST XFI 2.0

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by bowtie1973, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

Trying to install the XFI 2.0 system using the MSD EFI Cam Sync distributor but didn't receive instruction in the box for installing using this system. Has anyone installed this distributor? What is the easy way and will the instructions for the FAST EFI distributor work for this one? Thanks!

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

3. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

Not dual sync, just the MSD EFI Cam Sync distributor with a crank trigger. Yes, SBC.

4. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

Is it not correct that the injection cycle needs to be triggered between 60-150 BTDC and the ignition cycle needs to be triggered at 50* BTDC?

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

6. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

Sorry, I forgot to give a part number. Our MSD dist is the 2340 Cam Sync. It is not a hall effect sensor. Non adjustable.

7. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

We have the software, but all I'm finding for instructions is for a dual sync dist. Magnet on the 2340 is a flying magnet. Pick up is stationary, like our crank trigger.

8. gtsman

gtsman Member

MSD says that dist, must be used with the 6,7 or 8 ignition box. https://www.msdperformance.com/products/distributors/cam_sync/parts/2340

As far as trigger timing goes, 50deg is a common # to use, but not required, you want to trigger before your max ignition advance. So a common scenario
    is 35deg mech. plus 10deg vac advance ( for highway mileage ) =45deg, so 50 is a good #. Your cam sync needs to be a minimum of 10deg before your crank,
    so in this case 60deg is a good #, but to be safe, most people will go with 70deg. "Safe" #'s in this case would be 70-140 for the cam sync.
    I read somewhere that your dist is hard set to + 45deg, which would fall right in the middle of the range.

9. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

We set it up at 50* last night and move the crank back to 110 BTDC and lined the pickup to the next post forward, for #1. I didn't know the dist was hard set at 45*. That may change things. See, if only I could get a hold of the original brief that was suppose to come with the instruction.

10. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

34* will probably be the max timing for this new 305 combination. This FI is all new to me. Going from running a carburated 327 to this. Whole new world.

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're on the right track now that you've found the distributor is hard phased at 45 degrees. Depending on fuel and other factors, you may find total timing will need to be lower than 34 degrees. I don't believe the tech brief really has any specific information to the distributor, but just describes the basics of phased rotor to cap firing. They have a You Tube of the same brief.

http://documents.msdperformance.com/techlibrary_rotor_phasing.pdf

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  12. bowtie1973

bowtie1973 New Member

I think we have it figured out, but won't have the need to do rotor phasing at all. This is an NHRA Super Stock engine and will adjust the timing with the crank trigger, once we're locked in. Our 327 ran with 30-32 degrees of timing and with the shape of the combustion chamber and other factors of the 305, could be more than 34 degrees of total timing, not less. Dyno and track time will be the answer for that. I just wish there was more guidance for us guys trying to switch from carb to FI. First time, so everything is brand new for us.