Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Help setting timing

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by David H, Feb 18, 2018.

1. David H

David H New Member

Having trouble under standing the timimg side of things such as base- all in if I need more or less any help would be appreciated.
    This is what i have
    Ez self learning
    66 Cadillac stock 429 10.1to 5 compression set at stock timing 5 btdc with isky 270-HL Cam Advertise duration 270/270 duration at 0.50 216/216 valve lift w/stock rocker ratio.470/.470 lobe center 110
    Car starts and runs good for the most part. Issue I’m have is when I take off fast it pings hard sound like all valves are going to fly out.. if I ease in to it it will get up and move with no problem

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That caddy came with a dual plane intake. The dual plane has fuel reversion and uneven cylinder fueling problems with TBI. The reversion problem will eventually destroy the MAP sensor in the TBI - if it hasn't already. You need to scrap the dual plane and install a single plane intake. Once the intake problem is corrected, you should be able to use 18 degrees of base timing and have better intake vacuum with a smoother 750 RPM idle. All around power will come up and the engine will run cooler once this is done.

Your stated compression would be a new one for the books. 10.5:1 would be more accurate for a stock '66 Caddy 429.

3. David H

David H New Member

Unfortunately I haven’t be able to find any one that makes the intake for it. The car runs great when the temp is 175 or under it will get side ways with no effort no pinging the temp runs around 190 then it starts the pinging

As far as the compression I might look at it wrong in the book

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You'll also need to get a distributor you can set up with 18 degrees total mechanical advance with a 4000 slope.

6. David H

David H New Member

I think that’s for the 472/500 I didn’t see anything on there site for the 64-67 429

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Give them a call. There is also an adapter kit some use with a modified 429 Ford intake. The alternative will likely be a fabricated intake.

8. David H

David H New Member

I’ll try to call them tomorrow Thanks

9. David H

David H New Member

Ok called them he said he Doesn’t know of anybody that makes an aftermarket intake for a single carb but he did say it has a single plane intake on it from the factory ? And says he isn’t sure on Adapting different intakes

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I remember a dual plane - but if yours has no center divider and has a single plenum, it is a single plane and fine to use. Although, I just looked at several OEM on eBay for '64-'67 - and they were all dual plane. Hot Rod magazine has written these changes up and may be of help. But, the article I remember was using different heads. There is also an elusive MTS-SP manifold.

I did see a Cadillac single plane 2:4 low ram style for 429 on eBay the other day - that could be easily converted to a single four. But, can't find it today.

Fabrication may be the easiest deal.

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

An alternative to the single plane would be using port injection - but, still requiring an aftermarket manifold.

12. David H

David H New Member

There’s no divider just the 4 holes it’s all open under that i have a spacer on it so the throttle blades could open was thinking about cutting the holes out so it could be wide open but not sure if it will help or not

13. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Is it the same depth for both sides of the runners? If so, it's a single plane.

Yes, removing the four holes is an old racer trick to gain plenum size - even using dual plane intakes with carbs. Just don't get anything into the engine during removal.

14. David H

David H New Member

Yes it the same on both sides. Not having any luck finding a Distributor either lol. A local mechanic said I need to lock out the distributor?

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You can lock out the distributor mechanical advance easily with a weld, but you will then need to add an electronic timing computer. When locking out the distributor advance, you will also need to pay attention to phasing.

A good speed shop with a distributor machine can set up the distributor you have - you'll want 18 degrees of total mechanical advance @4000.

Electronic timing computer - MSD PN 8981. You can still find one on eBay. MSD quit making them. They work good. I have one still in use I purchased over 40 years ago.

Edit:
    If you have the EZ EFI 2.0 system you already have a timing computer. EZ EFI 1.0 doesn't have the timing computer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  16. David H

David H New Member

I have the 1.0 I check the vacuum today it’s 15in where it seem to idle good

17. A A

A A Well-Known Member

What is the initial timing? Did you set it while watching for the highest steady vacuum reading at idle in park, and then back off two degrees? This has to be corrected after F/A idle IAC and TPC changes at 750 RPM, warm engine and fuel maps stable.

18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You're going to ruin plugs from pre-ignition, and experience detonation until you have a distributor or timing computer solution.

19. David H

David H New Member

Went to my local speed shop they are looking in to timing controler as they had no luck on a Distributor Messed with the timing unplugged the vacuum adv and plugged the line and seems to run fine no pinging at all. Talk to the speed shop and the said it might be pump gas because the compression of 180-85

20. David H

David H New Member

5 degrees btdc seem to be the best Steady vac .