Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

I give up back to carb

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by 70elcy, Apr 5, 2017.

1. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

Just wanted to tell my ez efi 2.0 story. I installed the system about a year ago and had the usual problems interference comm errors had a couple sensors andvan ecm go bad got all that fixed 0 irms pink wire hooked up to a relay tons of extra grounds. It never liked to start and run cold had to let it warm up before it was drivable ran very rich. Wasn't really driving it yet because i wss in the middle of a frame off on car. About 6 months ago i started it and it immediately flooded and died which was normal. Went to restart and it was so full of fuel it wouldn't turn over. While trying to clear the fuel out it caught fire. I sent everything in and they found the injector driver was burnt and stuck all 8 injectors on at key on. Well they sent new ecm and the harness that was burnt. I also had to replace plug wires looms and repaint underside of hood. Got it back up and running again. So i thought I'd wait till i got car on the road and let it learn. It ran great after it warmed up but had a annoying pop through the exhaust which i later found out was because they fail to mention this system wont work right with and manual tranny. It was getting better every time I drove it then it weirded out twice and i had to reset it lost all the progress it had made. Now doesn't want to run at all and i have a beautiful car that im afraid to drive. Ive done everything tech support suggested used all fast products and it just doesn't work.

2. Charlie R

Charlie R New Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was about to give up on my EZ 2.0 system until I realized I had a bad MAP sensor out of the box. Not saying this is your problem , but I know the feeling. just wondering how much research you did prior to installing your system in a vehicle with a manual trans? It's generally not advisable. Have you thought about a possible upgrade to the XFI Sportsman ECU. I understand the harness is the same, but the EZ 2.0 handheld is not compatible. I'd hate to see you give up on EFI. It's the best modification I've ever done on my 68 SS Camaro and believe me, I've done a lot of them since '85. The driveability of this car with a 510 CI big block is simply marvelous. Just a suggestion. Best of luck.

3. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

4. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

I bought the system when it was fairly new on the market and didn't find anything on the manual trans problems I don't want to give up on efi but I also don't want to wait any longer to drive my car. Its gonna cost a bunch of $$ to swap over to carb also. Im not willing to put the money into the xfi setup cause im not sure if it will help. My sensor readings seem to be normal and tested good when i sent the throttle body back to fast. The only one that wasnt sent in was the o2 senso. Thanks for the reply

5. shelbydogg

shelbydogg Member

I have 3 of the EZ-EFI v1 systems all behind 4 speeds. I never hear that it won't work with a 4 speed.

Some cars or people are not made for EFI. A carb would have saved you a ton of money and you would have been able to drive all along. Put a Carb on it and move on to the next project.

6. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

Yeah im hoping to get enough out of this setup to swap everything over. If i could just get the popping through the exhaust on decel to stop maybe there would be hope. I haven't had to reset everything on the last three trips out

7. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

What are your AFR settings? I had MAJOR decel popping even with and automatic until I changed some parameters around. Are you running a TBI or Multiport setup?

8. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

Im running tbi. I leaned the idle af to 14 the rest is still at the default . I've changed the timing and enrichment settings amd got it a little better. Im still fighting a rich idle condition at startup also sometimes it does it when warm but always when cold

9. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

I was gaining on the popping now its back to erratic afr and iac numbers. I wont idle now Irm count still at 000

10. RussellB

RussellB Member

Do you find your idle afr pegs full lean when you start up (28% o2 correction)?. I have a quirk in my system where if i leave they key on until the 02 tick is on then start the engine it dumps fuel, but if i kick it straight over without letting it warm up it runs as expected. Not sure if thats a quirk in the system or failing 02 sensor, however it does it on both my o2 sensors so i really have no idea..

Popping on de-celleration is lean - richen up idle/cruise a little and see if it gets better

11. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

My afr on startup is inconsistent sometimes its full rich other times full lean. It seems like the more i gain on the popping to worse the idle correction gets. I think my iac valve may be going bad now the iac keeps going to a high reading until the car dies

12. RussellB

RussellB Member

Unlikely, the IAC is just opening up to let in more air to keep the engine running until it maxes out at 180. What is your o2 correction reading while it does this?.

13. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

Its in the +20 to +28 range

14. RussellB

RussellB Member

I am not a guru but it does seem like a o2 sensor problem, did fast have you do any tests on the o2? I am almost at a point where ill just leave my o2 sensor unplugged on mine - yeah it essentially becomes a carb but at least it doesn't hunt and surge.

15. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

I did the lighter test and I seemed ok. I checked the plug for loose pins and checked for exhaust leaks but didn't find anything wrong. If i knew an interchange part number id go to parts store and get one

16. RussellB

RussellB Member

Bosch part# 0258007206 - it doesn't appear to be a common interchange to another car - I bought one from summit

How does it run when o2 is unplugged? (Obviously it won't be "smart", but may help eliminate problems)

17. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

Ive never tried unhooking it I figured it would stay rich all the time like it does on startup. Ill try that today

18. RussellB

RussellB Member

No, it will revert to the base tune and ignore the 02, it will be a bit rich but nothing like you are experiencing.

Unplug it while ignition is off, apparently it may damage the Ecu if done while running

19. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

Ok thanks ill try that. I may try an o2 sensor