Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Kudos to CPG re: FAST EZ EFI 1.0

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Cre8vtv, May 7, 2017.

1. Cre8vtv

Cre8vtv Member

Hi AA, First, many thanks for all your terrific insight on my EZ EFI fix and tune. I have the car running pretty nicely now, with the exception of a few minor concerns: I have about 60 miles on the tune.

1) When I am coming up to a stop and disengage the clutch the idle drops down to about 300 and then recovers back to 750-800. Can you advise a setting somewhere that might work to adjust this? Remember I'm at High Alt. Denver. 5300ft.

2) Still dealing with a little heat... I've had to add back in the mechanical fan along with the electric fan. Temps range from 190 - 210. Of course its 95 out. : )

3) Since setting up at the targets you suggested earlier, the car is running pretty well, however, I'm noticing a little fuel smell at stop lights after a highway run. It used to have no smell.

4) After a good 30 minutes on the road, I notice at stops with clutch to the floor that the engine acts likes it's searching for proper idle. It rolls between 750 and 500... then if I park, take it out of gear and let it idle for a about 2 mins, it seems to find a solid 750 and holds nicely.

Any thoughts or tweaks to settings you can advise ? My gratitude for your continued help.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Bring the idle A/F up a tenth at a time, to find what the engine likes at idle, leave the cruise A/F at 14.7. Then, pull the sparkplugs and post pictures of them.

3. Cre8vtv

Cre8vtv Member

Thanks. I've now got the A/F idle at 14.2 which it seems to like. I haven't pulled the plugs yet as I haven't had time to drive it much. I'd like to hear your opinion on an additional tweak if you have a moment... My fuel pump gets very noisy after it's hot. It's the classic EZ EFI pump (Carter or Welbro). I have it hooked up correctly with a post filter and its mounted below the tank on a custom cushioned plate etc... but still makes me a bit crazy with its whine after a long drive. My thought is this: Spend the money and replace with a Holley 12-600 Quiet Flo gear driven pump with 100 pre filter and 10 post filter. The specs say it's good for up to 85PSI and 65GPH, so it seems well within my need (GM 350) Do you have any other pumps or ideas to suggest? I was also looking at the Boesch 044 as a simpler smaller option. It seems the key is that they should be gear driven vs vein. Much appreciated.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes, The inline FAST pump is a WALBRO GSL 392, 65-85 psi rated. Any restriction will make even a new WALBRO 392 heat up and whine - even placement making fuel pickup harder for the pump. Check any pre filter or after pump filters.

A 40 micron pre-filter of larger size will protect any pump best - like the MSD 29247 or even the smaller Aeromotive 12348, -6 AN. A 10 micron is needed before the injectors - again a larger size than the small FAST #10 bronze filter is a good idea. I use the Aeromotive 12347.

Almost any in-tank pump is better - quieter and lasts longer. I have no issues using the FAST 1200 horsepower rated in-tank pump. It is quiet. It installs easily using a piece of 30R10 rated hose and bulkhead connectors - but requires a return line to the tank.

5. Cre8vtv

Cre8vtv Member

Thank you. I will investigate and try this...

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

If you decide to use the FAST 1200 HP capable in-tank pump, you'll need to pay attention to the sock and the tank float assembly. This performance pump is a bit larger than stock and some adjustment of the float assembly and pickup tube may be needed. Even the stock FAST Walbro GSL 392 can be used as an in-tank pump if done correctly - and will run cooler.

7. Cre8vtv

Cre8vtv Member

Thanks AA. I'm a little nervous dealing with in-tank set up, although I'm sure it's probably easier than I imagine. I don't like fooling with electricity and fuel in combination! : ) The two I'm thinking of experimenting with are: New Walbro GSL 392 with 40 micron pre filter and 10 micron post filter like you advise. I'm also considerng the overkill solution of the Holley 12-600 Quiet Flo gear driven pump with Earl's 100 pre filter and Earl's 10 post filter. While I know it's bulkier in size, it seems like it would turn the odds in my favor against any noise potential in the future. Trying to make the decision.

8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The in-tank solution might sound hard/hazardous, but it is actually easier - and there is zero problem with safety during the install with the battery disconnected. It's the same as it is for any OEM factory in-tank fuel injection system. In fact, if you can get an OEM fuel injection pickup assembly to fit your tank, it gets really simple. Otherwise, you just remove the OEM tank pickup assembly and add bulkhead electrical connectors and a return tube to it. Then re-install it with the new in-tank pump. In the end, you would be happier with the higher performance in-tank system - less expense (only the sock, no pre-filter needed, and instantaneous fuel pickup), longer life, super quiet, and worry free. There is a FAST kit that includes tank bulkhead connectors and everything with the HP pump.

It really is no harder than installing a new replacement tank pickup assembly - and just as safe. Just follow good installation procedure. Even just average mechanics do it all the time - whenever the fuel gauge needs a new pickup assembly. So, you see there is already 12 volts of electricity in your tank - for operation of the fuel gauge float level sender.

That Holley solution, it's really no better than the WALBRO pump. The WALBRO can also be made quiet by isolating it on a heavy frame mount. If mounted to the body, any pump will be louder.

I've installed the FAST WALBRO in-line pumps inside fuel tanks - they don't go boom with the power on.:D That takes an actual spark - one that can't happen with strong connections. Factory pumps only use spade connectors. You just use wiring that has insulators unaffected by fuel and a piece of 30R10 hose to connect the pump.

Cre8vtv likes this.
  9. Cre8vtv

Cre8vtv Member

Thanks. I'll do some investigating into this... Might be a smart way to go. I do have easy access to the sender unit at the bottom of the tank. It's a standard "brand new" 64 corvette tank, with filler on top, a return feed on the side (which could be capped off) and then the sender unit and connections on the bottom of the tank (large round plate with feed lines in/out and sender electrical connection. I'll do some googling to see if I can find a unit that matches it with the right fuel pump built in...

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You should be able to easily just add the electrical bulkhead connector to your current pickup assembly and use the current tank return line. Your fuel injection system will work better using a return system and it unloads the pump for longer pump life. The ground just needs a good connection to the metal pickup assembly. With easy access, it should be a snap. As popular as your Vette is, there may very well be a direct fit aftermarket part that already has a pump attached.

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Cre8vtv likes this.
  12. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

I am running ez1.0 on a crate SBC, too. Initial advance 20, speed 15 and full vacuum 15, and it purrs like wife after a box of wine. Fuelab pump and 529 regulator combo that controls pump speed so it isn't running like crazy all the time.

13. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

MSD 8394 is an electronic dist; no springs, bushings or vacuum pot. Just set switches for curve you want.
    Make that crappy HEI into a table lamp.

14. Cre8vtv

Cre8vtv Member

So I went with the 12/200 Holly Quiet Flow and 10 / 100 micron filters around it. Built a custom mounting plate for it to sit cushioned right under the tank. It's completely silent and everything seems to be really happy. While I'm still running all the settings you've suggested and PSI is consistent at 43PSI, I'm noticing a very slight bump or hesitation when I'm driving at a steady 2000 ish RPM around 40-50MPH. It happens about every 10 seconds and it feels very slight. My pedal position is steady, but there's a slight feeling like a missed cylinder... Could this be an air/fuel mixture tweak ? Looking forward to your thoughts.

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

It could just be due to your manual transmission and the ECU adaptive learning. How do all the sparkplugs look? The heat line on the side electrode should be in the middle of its bend if the timing is correct. The insulators should be a light tan and of fairly even color at the outer end and deeper.