Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Long term problems with my EZ-EFI

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by gremlinmt, Oct 1, 2017.

1. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

My 1981 Ramcharger (6800lb) has a la360 in it with a performer dual plane intake with a one inch open spacer, stock exhaust manifolds, EZ-EFI 1.0, using a streetfire CDI box and automatic 727 transmission. Ignition timing is 12 degrees btdc, there is about 15 degrees of mechanical advance and the vacuum pulls in 10 degrees. All the vacuum lines are brand new and I've hunted down the last tiny leak. idle is 650 Current AFT seeings idle 11.8, WOT 12.4 and cruise 14.7 When warm this engine makes 17 inches of vacuum at 650 rpm. I'm at 3500 feet above sea level.

Now for the problem. That idle afr, this is dead rich but if I go any leaner I get surging at idle and it takes two or three restarts to get the motor to idle on a warm start. I could live with this except for cold weather starts. This rich causes the engine to load up when starting below 40F. I don't really want to sit in the truck and fight initial warm up, nor do I enjoy the occasional stall at the stop light while the engine warms up. I went to fuel injection to avoid this. :)

Other symptoms. I get good acceleration when punching it from as low as 10 miles per hour but it stumbles when punching it from a stop. I've got -2 on the accel fuel.

Anyway, with all my other options exhausted I'm looking at installing a torker II single plane. Edelbrock specifically says this intake isn't for heavy cars. The Victor JR is an air gap design and I can't imagine this truck is going to be happy starting at minus 10F without the manifold heat crossover. What are your thoughts? Torker II with or without a spacer? Something else I might have missed?

2. cobrajet

cobrajet New Member

Sounds like the dual-plane intake is part of the problem as they are designed for carb use. Perhaps the Carb to EFI experts will chime in soon....

3. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

Seriously? Nobody has an opinion?

4. 70elcy

70elcy New Member

A single plane helped mine some. Never could get rid of the surging idle. Id make sure you check for exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor.

5. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

I'll check, but this is brand new exhaust from the manifolds back. I had a leak on the manifolds early this year and pulled them both off, new gaskets. All the exhaust leak noises went away. That only leaves a couple of possible spots for a leak, the Y where the two pipes come together and the oxygen sensor bung and maybe the one going into the CAT.

6. gtsman

gtsman Member

It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak, that would make the engine run even richer, check for vacuum leaks. Most engines with TBI run better with a single plane intake because of the reversion issues a lot of dual plane intakes have. Carbs don't care about the reversion, they actually like it, but it kills TBI. Do you know how much vacuum you have at idle?, the self learn systems need at least 10in so they can differentiate between idle and run. It also sounds like your tuned for a carb, not TBI, TBI systems need more advance at idle. Connect a Vac gauge to the engine and start advancing the timing until the vac gauge starts becoming erratic, then back the timing off about 2 deg. Don't be surprised if you end up around 18-20deg. You can also try upping the idle speed, 700-750, some times that helps with off idle characteristics.