Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

MALFUNCTIONING IAC???

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by 78 F150, Aug 9, 2018.

1. fabr

fabr Member

78 f150 may have left the room. Who could blame him.

2. J.K.

J.K. Member

Yes I agree. It's a little disappointing to see the kind of behavior you see from what is suppose to be a mature grown man. It's not the first time its happened. I came on a little late it seems, as this forum has pretty much fizzled out. It's really too bad. Being a new sportsman owner I would love to have input from other sportsman owners, but those seem to have left the building.

3. J.K.

J.K. Member

4. fabr

fabr Member

I came on a little later than you and I'm sure glad I wasn't later. There was still several tuners and good DIY guys still posting with really good info. Hell,even AA had a lot to offer untill................................well what can we say. Maybe,just maybe he'll come around and be helpful again. I really hope so .The forum needs more active members not less. I did notice he only posted like 4 useless no reply replies this last time. Really good to see.

5. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

F150 is active in the Facebook EZ-EFI group. I'm admin there, AA will not be allowed to pull this crap there.

78 F150 likes this.
  6. fabr

fabr Member

Very good to hear.

7. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

Hey guys, I'm still here. Haven't been on here in a few days. I was on vacation last week and haven't been home to do anything on the truck. We've got a camping trip planned in two weeks, so I want to work on some fine tuning before we go. But I am also in the middle of swapping engines in my buddy's Bronco right now so I'm trying to do both at the same time.

After everything I've done, I have a feeling I'm never going to get the a/f ratio to calm down and function normally. I have no idea why it's acting the way it is nor can I find the cause. The problem with the rpms at idle dropping below my set rpm is a lot less severe with the IAC at 05 and is pretty much almost non-existent in warm weather, but still shows signs of instability when the weather is cold. I'm hoping that's just a fuel enrichment tuning issue, but I really haven't had much of a chance to mess with that yet, especially now that we're heading into summer.

I'm really thinking about buying the Street ECU and trying that, but I can't financially do it right now, but I want to do some research on it first to make sure it will work with my 4 speed tranny. But for now I'll just adjust the IAC & TPS settings and make sure my 02% is at zero and call it good, unless someone else has any ideas.

FABR--Thanks for the article on reading spark plugs. That's an excellent article and is exactly what I needed. I now feel I can tune an engine by reading the spark plugs now that I have this article to refer to. I'm going to save it for future reference. Again, thank you...I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. J.K.

J.K. Member

I had been scratching my head as to why your idle would dip upon throttle release. Mine did that a bit in the early weeks that I had my ez system, but I cant remember what exactly cured it. My IAC even to this day wont stay at the recommended 10-20 count. After a brief drive it ends up at 5 anyway, and my idle tends to stay elevated 50 rpm. I have to be idling for quite a while before the IAC count settles back to that 10-20 range. Much longer than I think it should. But I dont get that engine dip like you're experiencing with the higher IAC count.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  9. fabr

fabr Member

Good to see you are still here.

78 F150 likes this.
  10. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

JK--Looking back over the years I've owned this EFI system, I've noticed that this EZ system is very unstable at times, meaning the settings don't always seem to stay where you set them; at least in my experience. I can set my IAC at a certain count (let's say 20) and sometimes it will stay around 20 and other times it will be a completely different number, like 05 or sometimes a little higher than 20 (25-30). It seems to jump around for some reason. The idle is the same thing; sometimes it idles fine, other times it doesn't. Same thing with starting; sometimes it fires right up with the touch of the key and other times (a couple weeks ago), I would have to crank and crank and crank the engine before it would fire. Then the next time it's back to starting with no issues. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to any of this either; it's just random. Drives me crazy.

I looked on fastmanefi's website and he doesn't show the Street ECU for sale, just the 2.0 and Sportsman. I'm going to contact him and see if he sells the Street. If he does, I'm hoping he'll set up a tune for me to get me going and then hopefully I can figure out how to make adjustments, how do datalog, etc....

I downloaded that 2.0 demo one of you guys shared a few posts back, but I couldn't figure out how to operate it or what it was supposed to do. The best I could figure from browsing through the drop-down menus is it seems I would have already had to have some data logged/saved on my computer for the program to access, which I don't because I don't have that system. So playing around with it was unsuccessful.

11. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

I've been reading through the street/sportsman manuals. It's pretty cool. You can connect a laptop to the wifi on your phone and fastman can log into it remotely for tuning. You just drive around and do what he tells you on the speaker phone. If I pull the trigger on a new ecu, it's going to be the sportsman so I can do timing control. I also talked to FAST about my EZ-EFI color handheld, you can send it to them and for a $100 it'll come back set up for a Sportsman or Street ECU. Good deal, that an $1400 for the multiport Sportsman kit, and I can hook it up to my throttle body. I'm thinking next summer.

12. fabr

fabr Member

With the sportsman a person has the abiity to set target AFR's at differing rpms/loads so you have control of the auto tune/adaptive learning. You do not have that with EZ. Tweaking those targets is part of what the remote tuner will do.

13. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

GREMLINMT--Do you have the EZ EFI 1.0 or 2.0? You mentioned pulling the trigger on the Sportsman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sportsman won't plug into your EZ wiring harness will it? I thought only the Street would plug into the EZ harness? Are you planning on buying the harness for the Sportsman? Also, doesn't the Street also control timing? And that's good info about setting up the EZ digital handheld to the Sportsman or Street ECU. I assumed we'd have to buy the e-dash handheld to work with the Sportsman or Street. That will save a couple hundred dollars over purchasing the e-dash handheld. I like the sound of that. You mentioned you were reading through the Sportsman & Street manuals. Where did you find those manuals? Are they on the FAST website? I'd like to take a look at them and familiarize myself with the system before I pull the trigger on the Street ECU.

So I was just reading through one of your posts (Surging Idle Hot Start EZ EFI 1.0) and I noticed that AA blocked you and deleted all his comments and called you a Troll, just like he did to me. I'm curious, what did you say to him that sent him off the deep end? I didn't see anything you posted that would set him off. I don't get it. I can't figure out what his problem is. Not that I care, but I'm just curious. Also, did you ever get the bugs worked out of your system? If so, what was the cause of the problem you were having?

FABR--Am I correct to assume you can do the same thing with the Street that you can do with the Sportsman? What's the difference between the two?

14. fabr

fabr Member

I cannot say how much you can/cannot do with street . I have not looked into it.

You can definitely use the EZ 2.0 harness with sportsman and I "think" you can also use the street. I do not know if either will work with the EZ1.0 harness.

15. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

From the little bit of research I've done so far, the EZ wiring harness will plug right into the Street ECU. That's the main reason I want to get the Street ECU since it's the cheapest route to upgrade to a better system.

16. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Well-Known Member

EZ-1, Fuel control only: upgrade = XFI Street (plugs into EZ-1 harness), pn 30-4003, $630
    EZ-2, Fuel and spark control: upgrade = XFI Sportsman (plugs unto EZ-2 harness), pn 30-3003, $1225

Both use only a laptop for tuning, can be tuned for any type of cam or vacuum level.

17. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

Street will plug into a 1.0 harness and a Sportsman will plug into a 2.0 harness. I was looking at the sportsman multipoint kit. It comes with the wiring harness and should plug into all the sensors and injectors without modification on my 1.0 system.

Fastman, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd hate to buy the kit and find out I've gotta put all new ends on.

18. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Well-Known Member

A multiport Sportsman kit requires 8 separate (high-Z only) injectors and a separate throttle body. The EZ-1 TB is NOT plug compatible because its an entirely different approach. Call me to discuss.

BTW: Why are these questions in the post titled malfunctioning IAC? You should have started a new post.

19. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

This post started out months ago with diagnosing a problem I have and has evolved into considering the possibility of replacing/upgrading our EZ systems to either the Street or Sportsman. I'm considering upgrading to the Street due to issues I've been having for a long time and can't get resolved. There was another guy on here who was helping me a lot, but then out of the blue got butt hurt for some reason and deleted all his posts, which is why this thread may look a little strange now. But I will have some questions for you regarding the Street ECU. In the mean time, I just wanted to answer your question.

20. gremlinmt

gremlinmt Member

Truck is running great. I'd like to do timing control, but it's going to be next year. It's probably not much more money to buy a multi port manifold for the truck but I'll be calling FASTMAN before I pull the trigger.

78 F150 likes this.