Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

MALFUNCTIONING IAC???

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by 78 F150, Aug 9, 2018.

1. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

48-60 inches of rain?!?! Holy crap that's a ton of rain in such a short period of time. Heck, our annual rainfall where I live is only 19". I would living where you're at. I hate the rain.
    So when do you get the resonators installed?

2. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Not to be nasty, but why don't you guys communicate via private email. I think the forum is supposed to help users and your 33 pages of comments can't really do that. Please don't be offended. Just my opinion.

3. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

Fastmanefi--I understand what you're saying. However, if you've read through these pages you'd see that 99.9% of the conversation has been on topic about resolving specific issues. Right now I'm waiting on my heads to get back from the machine shop, which will be towards the end of January. In the mean time, we've made some personal, off topic comments these last few messages. But we'll get back on topic once my heads arrive and I get the engine back together. Then I'll need help tuning.

4. fabr

fabr Member

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

This thread belongs to the OP. He has the right to say what he wants here. He's not bothering anyone in his own thread. If others don't like his thread, they have every right to stay out of his thread.

Oh, and posting my thread here in this manner and the "alternative" remark was very rude. That link and remark should be removed from your post here.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. fabr

fabr Member

I guess you are right. I mean you have a 6 page thread with only 7 replies about your truck. It would appear you started it and as you say have the right to say whatever you want in it. Too bad there wasn't much interest in what you were saying though since this is a forum for FAST efi issues. But,you are right.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

So little interest there that the Sr. FAST software engineer liked my posts there.

One of the things FAST wanted here was to insure no one was alienated. Try taking a look at how many reads popular threads have.

I started that thread as a guide, and it continues to be a good one.

While you're at it, you might take a look at my member status here as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  8. Fastmanefi

Fastmanefi Active Member

Cool. Have fun.. :^)

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hey Richard, I know you meant no harm. I tend to go off topic at my age, and the posts I removed reflected something that just didn't have much to do with automotive enjoyment.;)

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I see fabr hasn't removed his snarky remarks. This is only one place of several on this site he has made such unwarranted obtuse comments to and concerning members. I'll just report the posts and refuse any further dialog with fabr. I've actually had him on my block list ever since he started this trolling behavior in the FAST forum. I suggest others do the same.

11. fabr

fabr Member

You are a bit off base there AA.

12. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

So my adjustable vacuum advance canister will be here tomorrow. Finally!! I've been waiting for it since October 2018!

FABR--Thanks for providing the link to AA's thread on his truck. I read through all of it and it helped a lot. I took some notes also.

AA--Excellent write-up on your truck. I listened to both videos of your new resonators and I can notice a big difference in noise level. I also noticed the drone sound once you hit 2250 rpm. I noticed in in both videos, even with the resonators. What is causing that drone sound? Is it the location of your mufflers? Would staggering them help eliminate that sound? Do you have a H or X pipe installed? Maybe that would help???

Your truck sounds awesome! I can't wait to get my new exhaust installed. I did notice that your a/f ratio reading was very stable and only moved around a little bit and it moved pretty calculated and slowly, which is the total opposite of mine. I can see a big difference in your readings vs my readings. Your readings definitely verify I have a problem somewhere that I haven't found yet. Hopefully getting rid of the inserts and the new vacuum advance solve the issues. We'll see. Still waiting on the heads to get back. It'll probably be the end of January before they arrive. They're not done yet. I'll check with him next week to see where we're at and how much longer.

13. fabr

fabr Member

You are welcome. I posted it because it seemed more appropriate to discuss AA's mufflers there since he has already posted a lot of info in it about his exhaust. It wasn't meant to be "snarky".

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol, that canister would have shown improvement way back. At least you have it now. It and the head repair should make the difference.

The GMC uses an X-pipe. The drone has never been very noticeable on the highway. I think I did once notice some droning running 75-80 mph, but that is probably gone now. 70-75 is all I mostly run on the interstate - and the truck is run under 50 most of the time. My truck was factory geared for highway running, and is easily capable of triple digit speeds - but I just don't drive that fast anymore. Even with the tall gearing, the truck still has more than enough torque off the line - I once pulled off a 350 big cam Cummings in a KW with it. Backed into the garage kind of amplifies the exhaust. I can even hear a difference between high and low humidity days in there. The new resonators are behind the mufflers. I have no idea what staggering them would accomplish. The drone sound is just exhaust pulse resonation.

When you get your heads back, try using a Cometic gasket to get more accurate compression. Most replacement gaskets for Ford engines destroy compression ratios figured on paper, and give rise to detonation problems. Piston to deck height, gasket bore crevices, and quench height need to be correct.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

So I'm considering just buying a new fuel tank instead of messing with my current fuel tank and trying to clean it out by using the fuel treatment. I can get a tank from RockAuto for $115. So I have a question....Do I need a tank with or without Evaporative Emission Control? I think I need the tank WITHOUT the EEC. I suppose I should just look at the type of tank I already have in my truck, but with this EFI I thought I might need a different tank now. I just wanted to verify.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM
  16. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The only reason for an EFI tank would be to use an EFI in-tank pump system. I would use the tank that matches your current tank. If replacing the fuel pickup assembly - you could get one with the added fuel return line. But, since you have that all installed at the filler neck, it's not needed. I'm not sure, but EEC is usually provided by the type fuel pickup assembly used. You've also already got new caps. So, I would just stay with the tank that matches yours. They may be able to match one using your VIN.