Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

MALFUNCTIONING IAC???

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by 78 F150, Aug 9, 2018.

1. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

You guys are so right! This is a lesson learned. From now on I will buy a valve train that is matched together. Although this is an expensive endeavor, it's a valuable education. So it sounds like I'll be buying those Howard Cams lifters then I won't have to worry about the springs being too much for them to handle. I like that peace of mind! Now I have to figure out how to rob Peter to pay Paul to get these lifters. I'll have to wait until I get the final price on the head work to see how much money I'm short to buy the lifters. I'm very thankful that I discovered this problem now rather than in the middle of a camping trip with my trailer behind me and the lifters give out and I'm broke down on the side of the road. With these new lifters, I shouldn't have to worry about that. I just hope all this work on the heads and the new lifters, and stiffer springs solve my EFI issues.

Question....due to the fact that these Lunati lifters are not strong enough to handle my cam, coupled with the valve spring bounce, do you think I was losing horsepower because of this? Should I feel more horsepower with the new lifters and stronger springs that are able too handle my cam?

FABR--you're right, I'm not going to buy a new cam and springs if I don't have to. I just don't have the money to do that. I just need to figure out which parts to buy to make the current setup work. Henry will be able to shim my springs so they will handle my cam and with new lifters I shouldn't have anymore valve train issues. With a new valve job and inserts removed, I'm hoping my EFI issues are finally solved.

Thank you guys so much for your help. You have no idea how thankful I am to have you guys helping me!!!

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Horsepower isn't what you were feeling. Torque in gear is what you would have felt. With the new lifters, two things may happen. First, there will be more torque since there will be lift improvement at the valve. Second, no valve bounce and lift not being erratic will improve fuel mapping.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Make sure to use a pushrod checker to have the correct length pushrods once you have the heads on. Also, use the correct heads gaskets for the correct quench height. You should be good to go now.

4. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

Yeah, the truck kinda felt like a dog considering the gearing and engine component combination I have. Just didn't have the get up and go that it should. I always felt something was wrong, I just didn't know what it was. I assumed it was due to the EFI issues. But hopefully getting this valve train straightened out, it will be a whole different engine. We'll see.

Yes, I'll definitely check the pushrod length and get the correct head gasket. I told Henry to let me know if he has to surface the heads at all and if so, then I need to know Exactly how much he takes off so I can get the correct head gasket.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Be sure the intake valve is opening where, it should. That almost sounds like the valve timing is off.