Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

no oil to 1 rocker on SBC

Discussion in 'COMP Cams Support Forum' started by tc 914-8, Jan 31, 2010.

1. tc 914-8

tc 914-8 New Member

Hi Folks,
    I am a newbe and have a tech question. I have a 302 (327 blk W/283 crank) SBC in my Porsche 914. I reciently rebuilt the engine adding Comp Cams roller lifters and roller cam XR288hr, already had roller rockers. Having less than 500 mi in the fresh rebuild I wanted to inspect the valve train. I pulled the rt side valve cover and found #6 exhaust rocker not pumping ( getting) oil thru the oil hole from the push rod. I removed the push rod for inspection and it is clear and not restricted. The lifter holds pressure and adjustment. Any ideas why this one is not pumping oil to the rocker? All the others are pumping oil, oil press is 60+psi, I changed the break in oil at 50 mi. and running Valvoline10w-40 standard oil for now. Also I have not inspected the left side yet, tommorrow AM, so I'm not sure how the other side is doing.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Tony

Just checked the left side, all rockers getting oil as normal.

T

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  2. amick

amick Active Member

There is really not a good explanation for only rocker not oiling. It could be a allignment issue between the rocker and the pushrod, if it the hole for each was not lining up. Or maybe if the lifter had some trash in it that was not allowing the oil to flow out of it but was allowing it to pump up. Is there any blueing or gauling around the rocker that you can see, this would be an indication of excess heat? If not it may actually be getting oil but just not as much as the others for some reason. Can you see any indication of excessive wear around the rocker or pushrod?

3. tc 914-8

tc 914-8 New Member

Hi Aaron,
    I did check for wear, bluing, heat etc. none seems aparent, all looks normal. I also compaired the pushrod and rocker with the others and all the wear was exactly the same. I spoke to the guy who assembled the long block for me, he suggested try pumping oil backwards thru the pushrod down to the lifter. This may free up any debris or junk? or push it to another Lifter ? It may be worth a try before I pull the manifold to access the lifters.
    One last tidbit of info, all this was found with only 30 seconds of run time on a cold engine. I did rev it a bit to make sure the oil press was high. All the other pushrods were squirting well. I think I will run the engine for 5-10 min to let things heat up, pull the valve cover and see if it flows? if not I'll try the reverse oil trick. I will have to wait until Friday to explore any further.

4. amick

amick Active Member

Keep us informed on what you find. We will try to offer any assitance we can.

5. tc 914-8

tc 914-8 New Member

Well after talking to the local hot rodder at the auto parts store, and from what Aaron mentioned, I came to the conclusion that the lifter had fed oil at one time, to the lack of heat, scoring, gauling. So I started it up and ran around the block for a mile or so, let the engine heat up to operating temp. Then pulled the valve cover, viola, its flowing oil just like the others. All I can deduct is when the engine is cold and sits for a week or two, the one lifter gets restricted. I am running 10W-40 conventional oil. I am planing to go to a synthetic blend on my next oil change,
    Any recomendations on oil???

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  6. amick

amick Active Member

No real recomendation other than to run a high quality reputable name brand. The synthetic should work great with the roller. As far as the weight goes that would be dependant on your bearing clearances in your motor. Tighter clearance run a thinner oil and looser run a thicker blend.