Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Noisy lifters

Discussion in 'COMP Cams Support Forum' started by waybad1, Jul 6, 2018.

1. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I am running a comp cams XR288HR with the link roller lifters, old school aluminum red rockers, comp cams guide plates and pushrods. comp cams dual valve springs. I am having some noise from more then one lifter after 3 or so adjustments. I did call the techline once and they said it was normal noise that these cams make. I have had the oil pan and manifold both off recently and see the cam lobes look good and no metal contamination in the bottom of the oil pan. Should I be worried about the noise? Any info would greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You won't necessarily see metal in the pan. You will find it in the filter if any is there. It takes very little of anything to contaminate these lifters. I wouldn't worry about minor noise from the cam with them. However, they should not be needing any repeated adjustment. Be sure they are not causing any excessive rocker to valve clearance causing any louder noise than light ticking. You'll need to pull the valve covers to check this. If any are collapsing and causing excessive clearance, the only solution is to flush the engine and replace the lifters. For reference, my XR282HR makes very light evenly distributed noise with no lifter creating any more noise than the others. If you have certain lifters creating more noise than others, you have a problem.

3. waybad1

waybad1 Member

Thanks AA. It seems to be they all seem a little noisy. I'm going to pull one of the covers to inspect.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I can't verify it personally, but a number people have claimed a replacement with Howards hydraulic rollers eliminated the noise they had using COMP hydraulic roller lifters. I almost switched to them when one of my COMP rollers collapsed after only six months. If I have any more COMP lifter failures, I plan to switch to them. The design of the Howard lifters probably provides for slightly more RPM. The Howards Maximum Effort hydraulic roller lifters also use check ball valving instead of the steel disc valve used by COMP.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I have no idea what spring pressures the COMP lifters are rated for, but the Howards Maximum Effort are rated for roughly 140 on the seat and 360-380 open. If you need something for higher spring pressures, ISKY and Crower have them - but they are very pricey.

6. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I hammered on my truck in Pismo on the 4th and now I hear some lifter noise when cold started. That I have never heard
    before and it concerns me. I have the ARP perma-loc rocker arm adjusters so don't believe they are loose. My engine has about
    1,000 miles on it, sad that I spent over $1000.00 for the cam, lifters, springs and pushrods to have them noisy.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes, you can imagine how I felt when the COMP roller lifter collapsed on me in a new engine. In 50 years of building engines, it is the only hydraulic lifter failure I ever had from anything other than tens of thousands of miles of wear - and I've used all kinds of brand names and hydraulic types (including the cheapest Melling). I inspected the COMP lifter and its problem was poor machining inside - unlike any other I've ever taken apart. The bore finish inside appeared good but was roughly machined.

A set of Howards Maximum Effort may be the permanent solution. Your engine really hasn't even seen enough use for the oil to need changing. I remember you changed it after getting the A/F ratios and timing correct. The only time I expect roller lifter noise is in race engines running valve clearance or street engines running solid roller lifters. Even variable duration Roads hydraulic lifters are quiet with larger flat tappet cams. I have a set of them in my '81 GMC truck's engine with about 30,000 miles on the clock. They help smooth the idle in gear and never make so much as a click - the fuel injectors make more noise than they do. I've also run hydraulic race lifters that were advertised as good for over 7000 rpm, and they didn't make noise. COMP must have sourced these through Taiwan. The Melling SB817RF16 retro-fit hydraulic rollers could be better than the COMP.;)

8. waybad1

waybad1 Member

Yes, the oil was changed after You figured out tuning issues. I only had the pan off to fix a pesky oil leak. Jesus, the Howards are the
    same price of the comps I have. I'll tell you this, I avoid letting anyone listen to my engine with
    the hood up. I am embarrassed for them to hear my engine. I should have dissembled the rockers and lifters when I went
    to the single plane manifold. Which by the way was 100% the right decision.

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Wow! Mine aren't that bad, but the noise still irritates me at times with the hood up. I guess you could call it a Singer (sewing machine sound). Once I start driving the TA more again, I will change mine if they get any louder. I don't enjoy driving it when the heat index is around 100 or more, like it is now. The Dark Hot Cherry paint and dark gray leather interior is just too hot - even with the air on and/or the T-tops stowed.

10. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I do run mobil1 10/30. Back in the day I ran 20/50 castrol in all my small blocks. Never had an issue. Of course nowadays
    people says that kills hp big time, go to lighter oil

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I use Royal Purple 10w-40. But, I'm positive that has nothing to do with lifter noise in either of our engines. Unless someone is using something with the consistency of gear lube, the horsepower loss in a 1st gen Chevy is negligible - we aren't running top fuel funny cars. Lighter weight oils mostly pay off during cold starts by flowing easier until the engine warms. Multi weight flows easier during cold starts.

If your oil had broken down and thinned, it would cause lifter noise. But, you would have noticed the engine overheating severely first. The old STP test works fine.:) I just look to see if the oil is still clean and feels slick in my fingers. STP touted trying to hold a heavy screwdriver by its tip - with a smooth tip coated with their product. I never used STP in anything but worn out engines - and only a very few times after running Rislone first to clean the internals. That did work to quiet worn noisy lifters.

waybad1 likes this.