Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Now what?!

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Rumblefrog, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Rumblefrog

Rumblefrog Member

With much help from folks on this forum, I managed to complete installation on my FAST E6 ignition yesterday. This is wired in conjunction with my Performance Distributors (DUI) distributor and EZ-EFI injection.

I've checked and rechecked my wiring on all components, and I've had FAST and DUI confirm my wiring, so I know it is correct.

I fired it up and went for a test drive, yesterday and, while it seemed to be running smoothly, it was way down on power. I drove for quite a few miles after warming up. I returned home and rechecked my plug wiring to see if I'd crossed anything up, and all was correct. I went back out for another drive and, after a few miles, it backfired a couple times and then died. After that, it would not fire again. I put my noid light on an injector and found that there was no signal to the injector. I rechecked the green wire from the E6 to the ECU and found no issues with the connection. With key on, my ECU did not have the blue light lit anymore. I checked the power connection (which I'd never changed from its original configuration) and found no issues.

I called FAST, and the fellow had me check my IRM noise reading; it was 77! He surmised that this was the problem. At this point, I'm not sure how I can route the wiring significantly differently to reduce interference.

Any ideas, guys?

2. Rumblefrog

Rumblefrog Member

Well, I rerouted all the wiring as best I could. Didn't expect it to really make any difference, but my IRM went from 77 to 0, and she fired right up. Appreciate prayers; I'm about to go for a test drive.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Check the sparkplugs and wires, the rotor, and cap button - as well as the cap. If the injectors aren't firing, there is no rpm signal to the ECU, or the ECU has corrupted software or is fried. The bad Tach module may have caused previous damage to the ECU.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Be sure to check the operation of the HI-6 also. If those sparkplug wires aren't spiral core 40-50 Ohm per foot wires, they will also cause issues with the addition of the HI-6 powering the coil. E.G. - IRM counts.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Maybe you just had a corrupted signal due to interference.

6. crash520

crash520 New Member

How do you check IRM noise????

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You check for IRM noise problems on the handheld. You prevent it by isolating and removing causes.

8. Rumblefrog

Rumblefrog Member

Here, for your amusement, is a copy of the e-mail I sent this afternoon, to FAST, detailing all my efforts and the mysterious results:

Chris,

I spoke with you this morning (Thursday, 7/13) regarding my ZZ-4 equipped Landcruiser. Let me rehash the history for you.

This truck has a Davis Unified Distributor (HEI), and, for seven years, I had my tach signal coming off the Distributor’s “TACH” connection and running through the FAST “RPM Module” and to the ECU. Several week ago, the truck just quit while I was running down the highway (fortunately AFTER spending six days grinding around some EXTREMELY remote desert in Southeastern Oregon!). I had fuel pressure and spark but no signal to the injectors (checked with noid light). I spoke with one of your techs, and he told me that, while the instructions allow for connection to the HEI “TACH” outlet, as long as the “RPM Module” is used, it wasn’t a good idea and could result in unreliable injector signal. He said that the “RPM Module” probably burnt out. I tested the “RPM Module” for continuity, and it indicated and open circuit, so that theory seems reasonable. Your comrade strongly suggested that I go to a “CD Ignition box,” so I purchased the FAST E6.

I completed wiring the E6 yesterday and took the truck for a couple of test drives. While it seemed to run smoothly, there was no power. After my first test drive, I came home and rechecked all connections (didn’t change anything) and went back out for another test drive. It ran the same, but after a couple of miles, it suddenly backfired a couple of times and then just quit. No amount of cranking would restart it.

This morning, I called and spoke with you, and you had me check some things. While cranking, the handheld was indicating around 150 rpm (last night it indicated zero). You had me check the IRM, and it read 77! Thus, it appeared to be an interference problem. I rerouted all the wires as best I could, and it fired right up. I let it run for about 20 minutes, and I checked the IRM while it was running; it read zero! I shut the truck off, intending to take care of some other matters and come back for a test drive later. When I tried to restart it, it wouldn’t fire. I checked the IRM, and it still read zero. After sitting for a while, I tried to restart, and it fired right up. It was running for about five minutes when, all of a sudden, it just shut off, as though the key had been turned off. I tried to restart to no avail. I checked the IRM, again, and it read 27; I hadn’t touched anything or driven the truck, so I don’t know why the IRM would go from zero to 27. All my subsequent efforts to restart the truck have failed. I connected my noid light to an injector harness, and it indicated no signal to the injector. I pulled a spark plug wire off the plug, inserted a loose spark plug in the wire and saw no spark.

This behavior is so random, it makes me wonder, again, if the problem could be the ECU. What confuses me though, is that I got no spark while cranking. Could a faulty ECU do that? I should note, that at all times with the key on, the E6 light is on. Could I have just been lucky enough to get a faulty E6 right out of the box?