Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

o2 sensor code, no start

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by waybad1, Oct 21, 2017.

1. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I,m pulling the distributor tomorrow to install the new parts. Yeah, definitely fighting compression. I never thought
    about keeping #7 and #5 running next to each other as the certainly do. I also quit cold turkey at 45. 12 years ago.
    I can now smell cigarette smoke like a mile away. I don't remember it being that way when I smoked.
    "wearing pilot's sunglasses, who had a bright white t-shirt on with a pack of cigarettes rolled in one sleeve" That was me in 1977
    Marlboro lights I believe

2. waybad1

waybad1 Member

Listening to Zeppelin

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol, Marlboro Red was what I switched to when they first came out ('68 I believe) - later Marlboro Lights until I quit (two to three packs a day, every day). Before the Marlboro Red, I smoked unfiltered Lucky Strike, Camel, and Winston - I used to think filters were for women. I would tear the filters off if I couldn't get unfiltered. Then I decided filters were somehow healthier. Yes, if anyone gets within six feet of me that smoked a few hours ago, I know it now. I also had a habit of packing the tobacco in my packs by tamping the top of the pack and lighting the end that came out first - when I started smoking filters, I lit a lot of filters before I broke the tamping habit.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The Animals

5. waybad1

waybad1 Member

Ah, The British Invasion

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The Four Seasons today, and a mix of early '60s late '50s. I have all of what I listened to on AM radio back then in a very extensive CD collection. It's been a while since I listened to any of them going back to my younger days in the late '40s and early '50s. Now that I have my '55 Buick out, I'll start listening to those years again. Yes, I still remember hearing the big band era, and the war years that played in the late '40s. (chuckle) I still have the "I like Ike" campaign button I wore in the day.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Say, you know there is an old racers trick that will give you a little better duration for your 11:1 compression - use 1.6 ratio rocker arms in place of the stock 1.5 ratio. All that is required is that the pushrod holes in the heads are large enough. Aftermarket aluminum heads are often already hogged out in the pushrod area for this. Otherwise, you would have to purchase an inexpensive guide and drill them out (also requires removing the intake to clean up the work).

If you can go up to the 1.6 ratio, it would reduce detonation tendencies and give more power. I can't say for sure how it will affect the vacuum needed for your EZ EFI 1.0, but it would be interesting. A 282 duration cam with 1.5 rockers will go to 300 duration with 1.6 rockers. This is something I used to do when I needed a little extra to win and had no time to swap camshafts. .050 duration of 230 will jump to 245. Lift also increases, so you have to watch that also. .510 lift will go .544.

8. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I am regretting not going to 1.6 rockers when the engine was built. I had some nice Comp Cams old school
    1.5's (the old red ones) that I reused. I also got the cam degreed with an ungodly expensive hex-adjust timing
    chain. I removed the dist today and it did have the blue cam. I was able to change it to the black one without
    removing the dist shaft. That was nice. Installed both the heavy silver springs. Can't wait to see how it runs

I do need to get and accurate vacuum reading.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    A A likes this.
  9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Great! With minor movement of the distributor and other adjustments, you should have the engine running much sweeter. I'm looking at days of rain here. So, I'm not getting outside to do anything I want - just catching up with odd little jobs (I hate) in the house. I won't even get to work in the garage. :( I did manage to buy a order from Summit a set of tires and the primer surfacer I'll need for my '55 Buick. Tomorrow I get to drive in the rain to Lowes for some items I want for a bathroom that was just re-tilled - paint, a threaded fitting for the shower outlet, and a new shower door. No sunny weather fun in sight for days. I already feel like I'm getting cabin fever. At least my bones aren't aching too bad - yet. I'll spend most of next week driving in the rain to doctor's appointments and grocery shopping - nothing I enjoy.

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

11. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I have that exact gauge. Bought it off a tool truck long ago. No rain here, just supposed to
    be windy. What are you running in the Buick?

12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

I had one very similar made in the late 1920's with a brass housing, original paperwork, fittings, and a steel case. Somebody decided they liked it too well and it disappeared after my using it some thirty years. I like this one because you can remove the rubber housing and correct the dial for altitude - just like the old one I used so long. I found that old one inside an old building I had purchased. It still looked new at the time, and still worked perfect when it walked away.

I have a 355 small block Chevy in the Buick, making 468 horsepower - it has a full rev kit, Victor Jr. CNC 2900, Brodix Track 1s, Hooker ceramic coated headers, and 750 Holley. 10.1:1 compression. I'll be upgrading it to Sportsman EFI and a Comp EFI cam. The trans is a Fairbanks 200 4R with a 3000 stall speed. I built the engine in 2001, but the entire drivetrain only has a few miles - and my plan is to do a frame off restoration, either tube or replace the frame, and fully customize the interior. The 2dr '55 Special is a light body that resembles the '56 Chevy. I call it my "Broderick Crawford" ride and have a '50s style siren on it for a little added shock value. It has only headers with race mufflers now, but I'll be installing full stainless 2 1/2" duals on it with new stainless perforated core race mufflers. When I'm done, it should still remind me of the typical drive-thru window shakers we drove on the street in the early '60s.

13. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Still raining cats 'n dogs here and no end in sight. I'm tired and sore from Lowes and grocery shopping in the rain today. Tomorrow starts the Dr. appointments. I also finished my bathroom shower head with new fittings, and installed the shower doors. Taking a morning shower to wake up, instead of a tub bath all the time, is something I was really missing.

14. waybad1

waybad1 Member

Buick sounds cool. First thing I thought when you said Buick was heavy lol. They made them solid back then
    It should move along nicely with the 355. I am looking to redo my exhaust too. I have never heard of those mufflers
    I am still not used to the Spintechs I have.
    I like the morning shower, but don't dare and try to take my bath time away.
    Oh, and sunny weather in Socal sorry

15. waybad1

waybad1 Member

My son likes the Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler

16. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The Spintechs are baffle type mufflers. Baffle designs are somewhat restrictive. The Dynomax Ultra Flow are perforated core race types. The perforated straight through race designs are very low restriction mufflers, and in many cases are quieter than baffled designs. The perforated core offers a deeper tone with less cackle. I like those with stainless steel packing as they last forever and never change tone. The Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet are an example of the lifetime stainless race mufflers. I used one on my '85 TA where the cat would normally sit. It lowered the exhaust note a full 4 dB at idle on the TA - and the TA makes over 500 HP. I've had a set of stainless Borla perforated core race mufflers on a drag car I have had since the seventies. That car made 668 horsepower back then, and those mufflers still work and look like new after over 40 years. Back then, I think I paid something like $40 each for the Borla - today, you couldn't touch one for under $200!

My '81 GMC has stainless 2 1/2" PYPES perforated core race mufflers and pipes exiting to the sides behind the rear tires, and the idle exhaust note sounds much like a stock big block with an OEM dual exhaust of the day. It also doesn't get the attention of law enforcement when driving around - unless you floor the throttle.

17. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I think the Spintechs are too loud in my opinion. I would like to go to a smaller muffler
    Right now I am going to have clearance issues when I install an anti-wrap bar. Possibly
    going to have to run both mufflers on the drivers side. I definitely fixed the comm-error issue
    I installed the new MSD wires today and drove it around for the first time in at least 2 weeks
    no errors. I think it is just part of the learn procedure but it was loading up at idle. I only drove it like
    10 miles. At idle the AF was good between. Even full throttle it felt like it was fat. I think I will drive
    it more tomorrow. I got the timing at 22 before and the start up is immediate no drag. I didn't check
    total timing but zero pinging on accell

18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

At full throttle, accel fuel and WOT come into play. Just don't go leaner than WOT at 12.8. Your distributor is now an 18 degree total mechanical advance unit. 18 plus 22 mechanical initial is 40 degrees. You should never run more than a 38 degree mechanical total. Back the initial off 2 degrees to 20.

Try disconnecting the distributor vacuum for a drive and let me know what that does. Check the vacuum advance plate isn't moving around without vacuum applied.

19. waybad1

waybad1 Member

I got WOT at 12.6. I run -3 on accel and always have. Maybe with the single plane I will
    have to adjust that. I tried -5 and it seemed the same. This is actually the first time I can run
    it for miles with the new intake without worrying about it stalling. A lot of learning needed. I am going to see how it
    does without octane boost. It would be nice to save that coin. That octanium from VP is good
    but expensive. I am debating adding a fuel cleaner like Techron to the tank to burn off the
    obvious build up of carbon on top of the valves or I would hope it would go away after some
    miles.
    I feel the timing is dead on and is better then ever. It pulls this 5000lb truck hard. It broke the 42" tires loose
    from a 5 mile roll.
    I will also back off the timing to 20

20. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet are some of the smallest mufflers you can find - roughly a 7"x5" oval by 10" case . On my GMC, the muffler housings are mounted vertical inside the frame rails as opposed to laying flat, and to each side of the driveshaft. Everything is tucked in high for great ground clearance - even better than the OEM factory clearance. These are the ones I used in the GMC - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-mvr13/overview/ They came in the full PYPES exhaust kit I used. I even got the X-pipe up high just below the trans output yoke.