Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Old EZ with new handheld is possessed!

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by potvinguy, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes, I was just checking - grounding both ends of a shield is a common mistake many people, that don't know better, make. I think you've hit the nail on the head - FAST obviously has a new Tune Version 005, for firmware 2.38, that fixes the problems. Odd they don't let everyone know on their downloads page.

Unfortunately, sending the unit back for a Tune Version 005 update would be an expensive undertaking for VettenDK. I believe he is in Denmark. FAST needs to put this new Tune Version 005 on the downloads page - and make sure it is listed properly where everyone can have easy access to it.

Good to hear your system is finally working better - and about the update.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  2. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

I have tune 005 but firmware 2.37, returning to Fast is not an option as A A says cause i live in Denmark

3. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

I have asked Fast twice, via email, for this but have not heard a single beep from them yet.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

At this point, I think I would call or write COMP a letter explaining the problems over the getting a new correct software download that apparently does exist. COMP owns FAST, and this amounts to poor product support where a simple solution already exists. COMP should provide you a link to the proper software or email it to you.

In the off case they may have the download page software labeled incorrectly, I would download that software and install it. I do believe it is firmware version 2.38. It could possibly also be tune version 005. Even 2.38, tune version 003, should be better than what you currently have.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

6. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

Drove some more today. No resets, no parameter changes, and the motor isn't missing any more! I didn't realize how bad the missing was until now. Some of the "missing" could have been transient changes to the injector duty cycle, causing low power in a cylinder for a firing or two. It's like a new car with the ECU tune 005. I don't know what they did in 005 and I doubt FAST will tell us, but it is some powerful mojo. And to think of all the time I wasted with shielding and caps and rewiring. There is not a download for 005. Maybe if you call FAST and ask nice. Of course you will also need a serial-to-USB adapter, since laptops haven't had serial ports for many years. Why is the aftermarket so behind the times? I don't want to get off on a rant here, but dang, FAST/CPG, we rodders spend lots of money to keep you in business, and we deserve better support.

A A likes this.
  7. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

AA, I sent an email to Dan but it got kicked back. No answer at that ext, I'll try tomorrow.

8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder why no Staff members have been on these boards since February of this year. Blown pistons!

All I can say is my EZ EFI 2.0 systems had better be right and stay that way at the software level. So far, they've never offered an update for EZ EFI 2.0.

Sounds like users with added color handhelds had better stop using the new color handhelds until they have this latest update. COMP maybe needs to contact all affected owners of EZ EFI 1.0 for a recall.

9. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

Recall? I think you have FAST/Comp confused with a responsible company!

10. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

I was just watching CPG Nation live on Facebook, and learned that there are 2 color handhelds, one for EZ1.0 and one for EZ2.0. So maybe my problem was the wrong handheld. In any case I have put several hundred miles on my car and no problems.

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

No, the software on the two color handhelds is completely different. They are not interchangeable and only work with the ECU type they were set up for. The screen readouts and options are also similar but different. A major screen difference is the timing control features on the EZ EFI 2.0 handheld, but there are also other differences. The XFI color handheld also looks similar, but is also completely different and only compatible with XFI Sportsman and XFI 2.0 ECUs. There are actually 3 different FAST color handhelds that all look similar.

A few people were initially shipped the wrong EZ EFI handheld - they quickly saw they didn't work at all when connected to the ECU.

12. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

I believe the XFI Sportsman Handheld is also the one compatible with the new 304003 EZZ 1.0 Upgrade ECU

13. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That's correct, but the new ECU shouldn't be confused with the older ECU. Both are 1.0, but have completely different software.

14. potvinguy

potvinguy Member

Thanks for the info. Why doesn't FAST identify each handheld with a label? I got one of the wrong ones and spent hours trying all kinds of shielding and other "fixes" before I got the right one.

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Your guess is as good as mine. I guess some bean counter thought it would save money to make them all look alike. A label might have cost another fraction of a penny, and medical benefits, vacation time & pay, a pension, and a salary for some cretin to stick it on - or they just couldn't find an illegal immigrant that would accept the position. Too hard, you know.

The consumer is always the last to know. Their time doesn't count, as soon as the money changes hands.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  16. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

I have the EZ EFI 1.0 that was purchased on 8/13/11, which has the 003 tune version and I have the old analog handheld. I've been planning to upgrade to the new digital handheld sometime in October, but after reading this post and learning about the problems the OP had with his new digital handheld, now I'm having second thoughts. I'm wondering if I will have any issues like the OP had or if this was an isolated incident. Is everyone who has the original 1.0 version that upgrades to the newer digital handheld having the same problems or different problems or any problems at all? Am I to understand that there's an updated tune version available (005), but there's no way to upgrade it? Is that correct? The only person available to update our ECU lives in Denmark? Is there anyway for this person in Denmark to make the update available for download? FAST can't or won't update is for us? Seriously? How do we get our 1.0 upgraded? Trying to decide what to do; buy the new digital handheld or not. Maybe I'll buy the new handheld and try it out and if I'm having problems, then go back to the analog handheld until someone makes the updated version available? Does anyone have any updated info on this issue?

17. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Lol, the guy in Denmark wants and needs the upgrade. The RMA and import process back to Denmark will cost him more than buying the system new in the USA. By not providing an upgrade download to the consumer, FAST is monetarily hurting every customer they have living outside the USA. It also makes it inconvenient for USA customers. Not a good thing for any company to be doing.

So far, the only way to get the 005 update is to RMA the new color handheld with the ECU to FAST. Can't speak for others, but apparently everyone with the new color handhelds isn't having the problem of needing the 005 update - although, they could just not be noticing the problem.

If it weren't for potvinguy, we wouldn't have known about the issue and the FAST 005 update that repairs it. All you can do to find out more is contact FAST, and so far they haven't been talking.

18. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

RMA the new color handheld and ECU??? Let me see if I understand you correctly. I need to buy the new handheld and then call FAST and tell them I'm having a problem and they will have me send it to them and they will update my ECU? I can do that, but what if I'm not having any issues with the new setup and want the 005 version? Will they still upgrade it for me?

19. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You'll have to ask them that question. Call their tech line..

20. 78 F150

78 F150 Member

I had a question. I just ordered my new digital handheld for my EZ EFI 1.0 and it will be here Tuesday. In the mean time I checked my analog handheld to see what ECU program version I have and it is as follows: ECU = 03, Prog = 05. Does anyone know if I have the latest program version or not? I'm assuming I don't since I bought this EFI back in 2011, but I don't know. Someone in this chat mentioned they were having a lot of problems getting their EFI to function with new digital handheld and to fix the problem they had to update their ECU to the 005 program version that has the 2.38 firmware???? Is that correct? So do I have the newest program or will I have to wait to hook up the new digital handheld to figure that out? My analog handheld doesn't mention "firmware" anywhere.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017