Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Problem with EZ EFI 1.0 and not getting any help from FAST!

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by taz8000, Mar 16, 2017.

1. taz8000

taz8000 Member

I have contacted FAST the first time about 9 months ago about a EZ EFI 1.0 that is not working.
    First you get a lot of contact from a tech asking you a bunch of details. then sudenly all communication stops and you are left in the dark. After asking for help again you get another tech and the whole story starts over again untill all communication stops again.
    It seems that FAST don't know what the problem is and try to ignore it.
    Here is a discription of the problem.
    This system was first installed in a 70 Chevelle on a 350 motor and worked perfect. The motor was sold with everything on it and transplanted into a 85 El Camino.
    All the parts in the system apart from the fuel tank are the same and what I have found is that the fuel pressure drops to 0 PSI under acceleration. Cruising the pressure stays arround 45 PSI. Offcourse the motor starts misfiring as it is not getting any fuel.
    As I said before I have tried to get help and info from FAST for the last 9 months and keep being put in the dark.
    I hope that someone can help me out here as I'm about ready to chuck everything in the trash and put a carb back.
    And, I'm bassed in Belgium so not so easy to send equipment back for checking or repair.

2. Lance

Lance Member

This your problem. There is not enough fuel flow volume to support the power demand. Are the filters clogged? Is power to fuel pump staying at a nominal voltage? Perhaps even the pump is bad.

3. taz8000

taz8000 Member

Hi, I have tried a different pump. Filter is not clogged. Voltage is OK. So, why is it dropping to 0 PSI

4. Lance

Lance Member

The only way that should be able to happen is if the volume is not there to support the injector demand at longer injector pulse widths. This could be a bad pump, restriction in pump inlet or pump outlet, or restriction anywhere in the fuel line. It could also be electrical; The voltage could be dropping out.

Edit: There's a few other things that came to mind... What about the pump inlet? Is the pickup clear? Tank vented properly?

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

If there is a sock in the fuel tank pickup, it could be restricted and will require removal for inspection and possible cleaning of the tank. The factory GM 3/8" line supplies enough fuel for up to 600 horsepower. Look for any crimps or kinks in the line. Anywhere rubber fuel line is used, it could have become torn on installation or detached internally, and could be making a restriction under suction or pressure. Lastly, there could be a small air leak, under suction, that increases with pump fuel demand. Any old fuel lines should be replaced. I've even seen lines that, became soft over time and, would suck closed when using an inline pump - shutting off all fuel flow.

Use SAE 30R9 fuel hoses for external lines, use SAE 30R10 for any hoses submerged in fuel tanks. Anything less invites failure.

Lance is correct.

6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Putting a carb back on will not repair your problem. It will only get worse with the low pressure supplied for a carb.

7. RussellB

RussellB Member

As above, if your fuel pressure is dropping to 0 under acceleration you are starving the engine of fuel - its not a problem with the EFI system but with fuel delivery, is it an in tank pump or external? could be the pickup isn't submerged in fuel while accelerating

8. taz8000

taz8000 Member

Guy's,

the fuel lines are all FAST flexible and large enough and there are no kinks in the line, the pump is external and also from FAST.
    The tank is the original 85 El Camino tank with a new modified pick up and sock. I could not find a after market EFI tank for this model and year.
    If I put a carb back on it will be with the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, so nothing to do with the EFI.

Thanks for your input guy's!

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Disconnect the FAST pump. Disconnect the fuel line at the TBI. 60 PSI air pressure should blow freely through the line and filter. Connect air pressure to the tank filler neck. 10 PSI should force fuel out freely into a gas can. Check the fuel pump can make 60 PSI. Then, reinstall it. The regulator may be bad.

While not likely, even a new rubber hose could have some of it's interior damaged during installation - causing a sliver of rubber to restrict flow.

10. gtsman

gtsman Member

How much fuel is in the tank, with an external pump fuel sloshing around can uncover the fuel pickup, you wouldn't notice it with a carb, but you will with EFI. Try completely filling the tank and see what happens.

11. meyste63

meyste63 New Member

From 1985 to 1987 Chevrolet V6 El Caminos had fuel injection. Those tanks are still available. They have the pump mounted in tank. Don't know how easy it would be to acquire one from where you are. Rockauto sells them for under $150 here in the US. Add a Walbro pump to the tank specific sending unit and you have an in tank pump setup. Best way to go. I have a 78 Malibu with a factory Buick Grand National tank/Walbro pump that supports my 500 plus horsepower LS2 with Fast EZ1. Have never had fuel supply issues. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

12. taz8000

taz8000 Member

I think I will order one from Rockauto. The only thing that was not taken over from the Chevelle setup is the tank, so it has to be that.
    Any idea what part# number I need. I know there are 2 sizes available, so wich is the one to go for.

13. meyste63

meyste63 New Member

It appears that you can use either size. They are the same dimensions. I may have spoken too soon on this type of tank being an "easy" option for an in tank pump. The original tanks are available, but it seems the fuel injection sending units are virtually non existent. The website elcaminocentral.com has much information about swapping tanks for fuel injection. They know a lot more about El Caminos than I do. I also know that the company Tanks Inc. (tanksink.com) could also be of help. I do agree that your problem is tank related. Best of luck. The internet is your friend on this one.

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You can modify the pickup tube inside the tank to fit most any OEM replacement in-tank pump. FAST has a high volume pump that supports 1200 horsepower, and a smaller one. For my '85 TA, I installed a new fuel injection tank, new FI fuel pickup assembly, and the FAST 1200 horsepower capable pump. The modification to fit the FAST pump was almost nothing. You just watch that the sock is not in a bind or interfering with the float assembly, and use SAE 30R10 hose for the in-tank connection. The in-tank pump is quiet.

15. CWPottenger

CWPottenger Member

As the rest have said this is a fuel issue. With an external pump into a standard carb tank it could be that the pickup line inside the tank has a hole so you would lose suction. In general it is much harder for a pump to suck then to push. This is not a big issue on Carb engines since very low pressure is required and the float bowl acts as a "buffer" to delivery. Fuel injection requires a constant supply of pressurized fuel and even the best of external pumps can struggle at this especially when connected to a non baffled / non sump tank. If you can acquire an EFI tank and go to an in-tank pump it usually works much better, runs quieter, cooler, and more reliable. Good Luck from a fellow G-body fan.