Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Retro fit color screen Fast EFI

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by VettenDK, Mar 26, 2017.

1. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

Hello
    I have now tried to run a few trips with my new retro fit color screen and i do have a problem with it.
    The screen turns off suddenly and can not find ECU but after 1 minute or 2 screen starts up again and everything works again.
    It happends almost after 5-10 minutes drive but can also happend after a hour.
    Motor keeps runing fine except for 2 times out of 15-20 where it died, normaly its only screen which goes out / reboot.
    Any ideas why?

NB! i have used old screen for 2 years without problems so i think its color screen causing my problem.

IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2232.JPG

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

This sounds like you are having a ground wire issue somewhere, or the ECU +12 ignition wire isn't always getting 12 volts due to bad relay, wiring, or an ignition switch issue. Try temporarily using a direct connection of the ECU +12 ignition wire to the +12 battery connection and see if the issue stops.

3. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

Thx A A
    I will give it a try and then we will se but i don't think it's a problem with my +12V (pink wire) because almost every time screen reboots motor keeps running fine and my +12V to ECU, screen and MSD box is all attached to same terminal on a relay which is switched on via igntion switch.

4. A A

A A Well-Known Member

It only takes a momentary loss of power to the 12v ignition wire, that may not kill the engine, to cause this. A voltage spike from a loose ground somewhere, or a frequency spike caused by an alternator or something else will also cause it.

Where is your MSD main ground wire? It should be on the engine block instead of where MSD recommends. Check the engine to chassis grounds.

Your relay can still momentarily lose power since it is still switched by the ignition. The momentary loss won't affect the MSD like it will the computer - so the engine can continue running at times. Factory ignition switches will often cause what you related.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. shelbydogg

shelbydogg Member

I was told that I can switch back and forth between my old screens and new screens and not have a problem. Put your old screen back on and drive for 2 hours.

You are not losing power to the unit. Your picture is showing that it is still powered up. That shows that you are losing the TD or RX signal. Check those wires and pins at all 3 connector ends.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  6. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

Toke a 75 miles long drive today with old handheld and it did not reboot, obvius if powersource is the problem with new handheld as it is not connected to same place, but engine did not die at all.
    IRM Count on old handheld after todays drive is 0.

@Shelbydog i don't think is TD / RX signal cause screen goes completly black and then reboot.

@ A A MSD gound is on frame in engine bay about a feet from engine ground, my car is a Corvette and i have ground from battery to frame in rear and engine from frame in engine bay, both in stock location and no more than 2 years old.
    ECU is wire with + and - directly from battery and + to MSD also comes directly from battery.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

At this point, I would call FAST and RMA the handheld. A RMA should always be the last resort as it is a slow turn around process. FAST will test it on a running system, and its software.

8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

It's not common but, should you have an old ECU (2010 or older), the ECU firmware will need updating. If your ECU is only 2 yrs. old, it shouldn't need an update. The newest firmware is on the FAST site - http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/software-downloads/.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  9. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

Yeap but as i live i Denmark EU it will cost me a lot more to return it than to buy a new + a lot of trouble with paperwork, tax and vat in and out off EU.

Se later post.

10. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

My ECU has FW 2.37 as per my foto so it should be updated, don't know which FW is the newest.
    I have been trying to contact Fast via email and website with my problem so i could be sure that it is handheld and not FW on my ECU that is the problem but after 10 days i still haven't heard one single beep from them!
    I remember to have read somewhere, on this forum, that you have to had FW 2.38 to be sure not to have problem with new handheld?

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Well, all I could find is they call the ECU firmware update #3. It won't hurt anything to try the update - so I would give that a try first. All that paper work, taxes, and shipping, are insanity. If the update works, it would sure save a lot of time and money for you.

Pfingstl had a similar problem and ended up buying a second 2.0 system just to keep his car running - and ended up paying so much for the replacement screen it was like buying another new screen. He purchased from Summit Racing, and they neglected to provide the proper paperwork showing it was a replacement screen for a bad one. Maybe the update will work for you.

Here's what FAST says in the install pdf.:
    "Connect the handheld, power on the ECU and go to the INFO screen. If you see ECU 03, the update was successful."

12. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

A A first of all thx for your support

In old screen it says ECU 05 and it says the same in new screen so i think my ECU is up to date unless there is an update, se prior post.
    I know of the problems (Jens) Pfingstl had, have been talking a lot to him, we are both members of a small Club of Corvette owners here in Denmark.

13. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Maybe you could contact Lance from here - http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/members/lance.3403/
    I'm sure he could give you some better answers.

Hey! That's cool you know Jens - you know, he does have that complete good spare EZ EFI 2.0 system. But, the 2.0 screen only works with the EZ EFI 2.0 ECU.

14. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

Thx A A
    I will try to contact Lance and yes i know Jens has a spare system but for now i will keep my EZ EFI with or with out colour screen.

What is very strange is that i today decided to give colour screen one more chance, weather was good, 15 degrees and a little sunshine now and then.
    I did one little thing before i went out driving, don't know why, cable for screen was arranged so that i only had what was needed inside car and rest was rolled up by the ECU in engine bay, now i did it the other way round so only what was needed in engine bay was there and rest inside car.

Belive it or not but i toke a 35 miles long drive without any problems at all, every thing just worked, no reboot of screen, engine did't die, it just worked!

What i noticed is that cable for old screen is shielded, cable for new is not, could that be the answer to my problem?

15. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes! Shielding could well be the problem, and loops are prone to picking up more interference. You may have inadvertently solved the entire problem - but keep an eye on it.

16. VettenDK

VettenDK New Member

A little update.

Weather is not the best in Denmark right now so not much driving but...
    25 miles with new screen, one time screen and car dies totally but as before just turn key and all was good.
    50 miles with cable but no new screen attached, nothing at all.
    Talked to Lance and FM in ECU is the lastest.
    So one more thing to do before i RMA colour screen or just buy a new one or just keep using my old one is to put on a capacitor on pink wire, thx Jens for telling me which one.

17. A A

A A Well-Known Member

A non-electrolytic 80 Pico Farad capacitor rated 50v or more from the pink ECU 12v ignition wire to a good ground is a fix I came up with for the EZ EFI 2.0 ECUs. With the EZ EFI 2.0 ECUs requiring the added capacitor, the handheld screens were not just rebooting - but user information was also getting scrambled. The Farad rating isn't always the same as it is dependent on the interfering frequency encountered. Sometimes, it is an alternator that is causing the problematic frequencies. Bad grounds or power wiring near the distributor can also be the problem area where frequencies enter to cause a problem.

If it works for the EZ EFI ECU 1.0, lets us know. Good luck.