Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Rough running EZ EFI 1.0

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Yadkin, Aug 23, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

In doing this, we don't know what frequencies are present with the Pertronix. Lower frequencies carry farther and penetrate more to cause interference.

2. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

I suppose I could get my oscilloscope back on it, will do after I put the new wires on and if I'm still having issues. I'd be analyzing the coil output? With the Second Strike set to zero and then some other setting?

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That would be a good idea.

4. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

Finally got back to it. As you may recall I have my crankshaft damper marked with a white stripe every 90 degrees so I can check timing on all eight cylinders. Before the new wires I was getting inconsistent strobe pulses, where the timing mark would appear at inconsistent locations relative to the timing pointer, along with some misses. Especially on two cylinders which seemed to be firing 45 degrees or so off, so far off that I triple checked my wiring, then checked again.

With the new wires all eight hit within 2 to 3 degrees of each other. Most importantly I think, they fire at consistent times. That's got to be within the accuracy of the distributor cap, trigger, or more than likely, my paint marks.

A short test drive last night (between rain storms) and the car ran very well. Still not perfectly smooth, but at this point I'm going to have to theorize that it is the nature of the cam that I have chosen, and maybe the loud mufflers. This is afterall the first non-stock engine that I have ever owned.

My son is coming up to visit in a couple weeks and I'll probably wait until then to use my oscilloscope on the distributor wire. Once I do I'll post the chart or charts.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Good to hear the 40 Ohm per foot wires made needed improvement.

Be sure to try using the Second Strike and note how the spark timing reacts.

6. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

Well I set the CAO (crank angle offset) on the Second Strike to 2 and drove the car. I have the timing set at 14 degrees BTDC so at CAO=2 the second spark comes in at 10. One word: wow. It makes a noticeable difference in power.

Then I tried CAO at 1 and it was good too. Back in the garage, smoothest idle seems to be at 3. This is with idle AF set at 13.5. This makes sense I think because the second spark comes in at 8, where 8 is typical for the factory engine.

7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You should be able to go leaner on idle and cruise now - start working with that. It's actually running better with the Second Strike turned on now due to more complete combustion - burning off what wasn't getting burned before in the cylinders. If you can get it running leaner, and your initial timing closer to 18 degrees without going too high on the total, you will see a big increase in fuel mileage and engine torque. Just go easy, in very small steps, and watch out for any detonation or pre-ignition. The plugs should start running cleaner also.

Remember, FAST fuel injected engines like more initial timing than the engine used with a carburetor. The better spark will also allow a leaner fuel mix than before. It may take some time for new fuel maps to build.

8. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

AA may be i'm wrong but when you have a cd ignition box as the fast e6 you don't need a second strike box as this is used for inductive spark box ?

9. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

You wouldn't use both ignition systems, but either-or.

10. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

I'll try 16 initial and see what happens. I have the distributor limited to 18 at 3500rpm so that would make 34 total.

11. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You may also need to raise the slope with stiffer springs. Watch the plug side electrodes and ceramics closely for any sign of excessive heat or timing. At the first sign, raise the slope as needed and keep checking.

12. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

So why do you use it ? Is the fast e6 makes multiple spark at low rpm as the msd6?

13. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

Why do I use the Second Strike? Because I was having a problem with my FAST E6 box. Would the MSD superconductor wires and the shielding that I did have made the E6 box perform correctly? Probably.

All three systems that you mentioned, FAST, MSD and Pertronix basically do the same thing. The difference with the Pertronix is that I have a Pertronix distributor and coil, and the manufacturer guarantees that they all work together. The other advantage with the Pertronix is that I can change the second spark timing from 1 to 9 crank degrees (2 to 18 distributor degrees), or set to zero, basically turning it off, allowing me to use my timing gun.

14. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

When i look on the e6 fast specifications. It is a multiple spark exactly as the msd. It is not described that the spark series always lasts for 20° of crankshaft rotation with the fast e6 but i think they used the same technology. So you should not need the second strike box. Just my two cents

15. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

I'm not sure that you're understanding what I wrote, twice now. I'm using the Second Strike box instead of the FAST E6 box.

16. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yadkin, he really doesn't care. He's just interjecting like he has at other threads (his worth = "2 cents", as he stated). Keep up the good work. Your Thunderbird is a great car, and well worth your attention not getting sidetracked. Your thread here has likely helped many Pertronix and FAST users - and will continue to.

Yadkin likes this.
  17. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

Thanks for that AA.

I was mistaken with my initial timing at 14- it was at 16. I raised it to 18 and it still runs good. I took some time this afternoon to run some errands in the car followed by a 20 mile drive in the country. I increased AF cruise from 14.6 to 14.7 and idle from 13.5 to 14. It doesn't start as well when hot so I'm increasing cranking enrichment to compensate, first at 1, now I'm at 2. I'm going to leave my WOT setting at 12.7 and play with that last.

18. A A

A A Well-Known Member

That's a big jump in idle A/F and will affect the ECU cranking. .1-.2 steps would be better. Hold off on changing handheld cranking enrichment until all the fuel maps have stabilized - throughout the engine temps. 12.7 WOT is good - don't raise it above 12.8 - leaner than 12.8 WOT can cause engine damage. Cruise at 14.7 should be perfect for the cruise A/F. Be sure to keep check on the plugs.

Think of the handheld enrichment as just some extra fine tuning - after you find the best idle A/F.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  19. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

Ok. Understand now :)

20. Fastnofast

Fastnofast Member

For me, cranking is only affected by cranking enrichment, temp and idle timing. Not by idle AF as o2 sensor begin to work after 400rpm

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017