Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Rough running EZ EFI 1.0

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Yadkin, Aug 23, 2016.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't use RTV (even high temp) anywhere near an exhaust header. RTV High Temperature is only good for 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Temps there can far exceed that. The ceramic header coatings are good for 2500 degrees and stay put. The problem is not just heat burning them away, but the fact the header flanges move on the head during operation - just like heads move on the block during operation.

Aftermarket tube headers really do need a gasket. Cometic has an .030 stainless steel gasket that might work for you. There are also some .040 copper gaskets.

You do know it is alright to reshape and ding headers for clearance where needed? The jigs used when building them aren't always perfect. Even baked on coatings can distort them some.

I have a 1970 1/4 mile nitro methane drag car, I built new '71, that has special big tube crossover headers that I really had to work hard on just to install them - even down to reshaping the underbody and steering drag links for clearance. Before I worked on them, there was zero clearance anywhere - and they were custom built for the car on a jig by a manufacturer. Other cars have also pretty much always required some tweaks for any headers I used on them - some more than others. I had to notch the frame rails and rework the transmission shift rod linkage on my automatic '81 GMC to gain clearance for its stainless steel headers. These are just things you run into with aftermarket headers - even very expensive ones "designed for the vehicle".

2. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

Makes sense. I just looked at Sanderson's site- they now recommend 1/8" bead of RTV black. Apparently they are relying on ash to make a seal :D

Yesterday I ordered that Hot Stuff from Speedway, along with a new set of ARP 12 point bolts and new copper collector gaskets. This will sit in a box until the RTV copper blows out.

These headers were a bitch to install but they do have 1/8" clearance on both sides. On the passenger side, the rear tube to the chassis. On the drivers side, the rear tube to the power steering box at the front tube to the chassis. You can't put them on or take them off with the engine in place. And you can't install the engine with them in place. You have to have the transmission unbolted and lift one side of the engine while the one already on gets mashed against the opposite side...

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The Hot Stuff doesn't have a very long shelf life - so don't let it sit around too long. You might like to use it to touch up your headers or exhaust if nothing else - before it sits too long.

Yep, your Sanderson experience sounds just like what I've always encountered with almost every tube header set I've ever bought. Good luck!

;) At one time I used to cheat - there was a local header shop I would trailer cars to, with the headers, for them to install. Custom header work was all they did, and they did excellent work that always looked factory professional, but charged multiples of hundreds on each install. It was still worth what they charged. They would also build any custom exhaust style - but that was over a grand per. Wish they were still around.:(

4. Yadkin

Yadkin Member

Once the cruise-in season is over I'll have time to redo this and use the Hot Stuff.

Building custom headers can't be too easy. Doesn't surprise me that a shop like that would be few and far between. We have an excellent exhaust shop here- Scott's Muffler in LExington NC. He's nearing retirement though, works M-TH only and only takes jobs that he want to do. He likes old trucks and classics.

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Actually, the guys that worked in the (now gone) local header shop made it look easy. They could fabricate, install the custom headers, and have multiple vehicles ready for customers in under a day. Since I sent my vehicles along with the headers I wanted installed, they left them sitting until they had time away from their custom fabricated installs. I never visited that shop that they weren't loaded with work. The owner did have trouble keeping a full crew of good people though. Their parking lot stayed so full, I had to pick my vehicles up the day they were finished or pay quite a lot for storage. Mine were always ready in 2-3 days. All their business was by appointment only Monday-Friday. I remember once bribing one employee with a case of beer to open up Saturday so I could get one of my cars. When I went there with him, the car was still unfinished. But he finished it in minutes, and I was on my way to a race. I still remember his name, and the '56 Nomad Delivery he had - I was about 30 at the time.