Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

Should adaptive learning come on at Idle? EZ-EFI 2.0

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by killswitch, Jan 2, 2019.

1. A A

A A Well-Known Member

005 is the lower limit of the IAC. check for vacuum leaks, throttle positions and reset IAC and TPS calibration.

2. killswitch

killswitch New Member

TPS adjustment is at the end, but TPS calibration should tell ecu that .7 is at idle or am I mistaken?
    What adjustment can be made for idle duty cycle fuel lbs p/hour?
    I've been playing with idle A/F, idles best at 13.2.
    Handheld not resetting as much or not at all really when engine is running. Seams to reset a few times when switch between screens with engine off.

3. A A

A A Well-Known Member

TPS idle setting is usually .3 volts at 750 RPM with IAC set around 20. The range is normally .3 @750 idle to something like 4.7 volts with the throttle full open. TPS a 5 volt system.

The duty cycle is set by the computer using user data and what it reads from the sensors. At 750, a .7 INJ DC% is normal using FAST injectors set to 43 PSI static fuel regulation. This results in about a 004 lbs./hour fuel reading. 13.2 A/F at idle is still fat.

Your handheld operation tends to support the need for an RMA of the ECU and handheld. The capacitor fix I developed was for EZ 2.0 handheld rebooting and user data loss scenarios with the engine running. Rebooting when changing screens is likely a software issue requiring FAST to restore the software. What you are experiencing is what J K experienced. Unfortunately, there is not a software flash for users of the EZ EFI 2.0 system. This can only be done by FAST.

4. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Happy new year to all

I can just confirm that the capacitor fixed my rebooting problem and I had to RMA my ECU because of no learning.

Since then the system runs great

A A likes this.
  5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Hi Jens,

Great to hear from you - and have a Great New Year as well. I sure hope no one else has the EZ EFI 2.0 no learning problem overseas. Getting a good ECU and yours repaired was way more costly than it should have been for a warranty RMA. Here's hoping you never have to go through anything like that again there in Denmark. :D I hope the other members of the Corvette club there are also having good service from their FAST systems - haven't heard anything in a while.

6. killswitch

killswitch New Member

My TPS is .7 at idle and 4.6 at full throttle, TPS calibration should tell ECU what is what at idle and full throttle I'm guessing.
    This is not a FAST throttle body set up, it is an 8 stack individual runner setup with Bosch 43lbs injectors.
    I went through another throttle blade adjustment procedure then flow matched all 8 stacks. Double checked for vacuum leaks.
    Nothing changed same reading and still no learning.

13.2 is fat for idle but this engine likes it best. I found that lying to the ecu results in a very clean and smooth (for this cam - Comp Cam 35-425-8 Hydro roller 230/236 @ 0.050 110* LSA)
    Set CID to 400 (Actually a Ford 351W)
    Injector Lbs to 50 lbs ( actually 43LBS)
    Idle Target AF to 13.2

I called FAST tech support, now they want me to send in the ECU and handheld for repair. I asked the tech why there ais no warning on their website about EZ-EFI and a manual trans. He said he has been begging them to do something about it. Not everyone joins this forum to research. You should get enough information from the manufactures site not to make such an expensive mistake. The tech advised to upgrade to sportsman and quoted me $270 to exchange EZ-EFI and handheld for XFI sportsman. I'm going to check with A-tech support and see what my wholesale price is, but even at $270 I think I am eliminating twice that in headaches.

Thanks to all for the great advice and knowledge!

A A likes this.
  7. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You'll be a lot happier with the Sportsman once you dial everything in. It's much better to build your own custom fuel mapping to the engine. FAST needed the handset and ECU because they know some units are faulty from the factory with a "no learning" problem - due to a bad software flash. Your problems with rebooting, and screen changes, fairly well confirmed the issue with no further testing. I wish they would let me upgrade one of my EZ EFI 2.0 systems to Sportsman for $270 exchange. But, mine have been in use for years now. That's a great price for the upgrade I would jump at myself. My '85 TA 406 Chevy has an automatic, but my COMP XR282HR (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=160&sb=2) runs just barely above the required idle threshold vacuum needed by the EZ EFI 2.0 - with no room for error.

8. killswitch

killswitch New Member

Yeah, my crystal ball saw frustration on the horizon with this EZ-EFI ECU. I just placed the order and packing up the ECU today. That cam you have in the 406 is what we have in the 351W ( http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=897&sb=2 ) and pulling 13" at 750rpm. What heads and compression? How is the power and street manners?

9. A A

A A Well-Known Member

It makes just over 500 horsepower with 9.7:1 compression and Trick Flow 195 runner heads. It has plenty of low end torque, and the manners on the street are actually like a stock engine vehicle - as long as you stay out of the throttle. I had to add an electric vacuum booster to help out the power disc brakes. I changed all the suspension out to UMI Performance and it handles well, but will ignite the tires if not careful. There is really no disguising the power level with the exhaust using free flowing perforated core resonators and mufflers. It's fairly loud at idle and in normal street driving, and really loud if you nail it.

I think you'll like the cam, but the EZ system would have been a pain you wouldn't have liked dealing with - even if it hadn't had a software issue. With the Sportsman, you'll always be able to do what you want with the compression, fuel, and a larger cam for whatever use. You also won't have any adaptive learning issues using your manual transmission.

10. killswitch

killswitch New Member

Sounds like an awesome engine. The 351W has Edelbrock RPM heads untouched, 10:1 so I'm guessing at maybe 425-435HP and hope to get streetable manners as does yours. It's a super light car (AC Cobra kit car), so it should be pretty interesting.
    I stole the sportsman ECU from my 340 Dart project and was able to get it up and running. Now I need to figure out how to tune the fuel and spark tables. I will play with tuning here and there but I need to get to tailoring the wiring harness and building out the dash cluster and wiring. Been doing a lot of reading on this forum on tuning.
    One question I have is the table parameters. How would one shorten the RPM and Load% scales. One post said to hoover until hand icon and click. That results in a popup to change only the axis value.

11. killswitch

killswitch New Member

Adding - It appears to idle at around 40% load so any reason I should keep any of the scale below that range or if red line is 5800-6000 rpm to keep anything above 6000rpm?

12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

You may want to start a new thread titled something like "XFI Sportsman Tune for 351W". Then your new questions will come to the attention of XFI system tuners more easily. You could turn on adaptive learning temporarily and see what happens, since the car isn't being driven as yet.

Fastmanefi (Richard) also does custom Online tuning, if needed. I believe the cost is $300, but you also learn how to set everything up Online with him - as well as if you had taken the $500 FAST course for system tuners. His personalized professional tune is a great timesaver, and he stands behind his work. With XFI, there are a number of parameters that need turning off and on that new users often miss.

13. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Your 351W should realistically peg the higher end of your horsepower estimate with this cam and compression. I keep my red line at 5800 with the 406.