Welcome to CPGNation.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the CPGNation community.

SOLVED (ECU) - EZ-EFI 2.0 not "Learning" ?

Discussion in 'FAST Support Forum' started by Pfingstl, May 30, 2016.

1. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Hi

Installed EZ-EFI 2.0 with Dual Sync. 1971 Corvette 454 LS5 with TH400

Completed all the settings leaving timing at 20 degrees and adjusted IAC and so on.

Vacuum and MAP numbers seems OK - Vacuum measured on Manifold

Starts and idles and is drivable - BUT "LEARNING" never comes on ?

Called Comp / FAST - holiday?

Any ideas? Timing?

IMG_5457.jpg IMG_5459.jpg

2. A A

A A Well-Known Member

It looks like you haven't correctly set the IAC and TPS. IAC should be close or at 20 idling in gear. Setting the TPS can be difficult if the procedure isn't followed very closely. Use the Wizard reset three times and input all user data again. Also, learning will only start as RPMs remain steady. Turn on 5 degrees of idle trim if you haven't already. The ECU only uses it to stabilize the idle, and it doesn't add to total timing.

3. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Thanks. It had crossed my mind that IAC was to high.

I have the 5 degree on (standard)

Will try a reset tomorrow. 11 pm here...

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  4. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Just to be sure. 3 times reset ??

wuzard - accept reset - OK
    And then back and repeat or how is it done ?

5. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Yes. Just use the Wizard reset three times. Then, input your user data. This will clear any erratic data.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  6. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The IAC isn't causing the learning problem, it's just where your engine should be. Not having the TPS set properly will cause the learning problem - as well as having erratic data.

Pfingstl likes this.
  7. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I did have the IAC in the "Green" zone and recalibrate TPS

But I will redo it later and make sure everything is done correctly.

Seems very sensitive.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  8. A A

A A Well-Known Member

The TPS settings procedure can be confusing and easily done wrong. To help get the IAC down, you can open the rear throttle blades slightly.

9. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I did see that the rear blades are a bit later then the first. Did read that they should be moving together, but figured the should be like that from FAST.

I find the adjusting straight forward, but let's see if it works out later today. Of to work now.......

Thanks for the input :)

10. A A

A A Well-Known Member

There is some progression in the linkage. It's only the set screw you adjust.

11. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

OK....

Reset 3 times.
    Ran the Wizard with 750 RPM Idle in Gear - Went higher in Neutral......
    Reset again.
    Ran the Wizard with the goal of 600 RPM idle (standard for the Vette 454) in DRIVE and AIR Cleaner installed
    20 Degree adv. - confirmed with Timing Light
    Adjusted IAC - In the "Green"
    Reset TPS at idle
    Idle Trim 5 Degrees - idle isn't rock steady at 600. It jumps to 650 (Changed it to 10 - the Screen went BRIGHT and restarted - 10 was stored - changed it back to 5 again)
    The two last pics shows Master in Gear and in Neutral - IAC Numbers seems of 23 in Gear an 5 in Neutral

Secondary Throttle Blades are opening later then the Primary. I believe a bit if they should open almost together with the Primary.

DONE - But still not Learning - it should start learning at once??

Does it have something to do with the timing perhaps? I haven't testet for max. Vacuum a X degrees - Just used 20

IMG_5464.jpg IMG_5467.jpg IMG_5469.jpg IMG_5468.jpg
    Master in DRIVE
    IMG_5465.jpg
    Master in NEUTRAL
    IMG_5466.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  12. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Check the O2 harness wiring connection. Have you driven the car? You'll need to call FAST Tech. There could be an issue with the handheld or the ECU. I can't be sure why the learning light isn't lit. The learning light should be lighting up now and then.

13. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

Thanks for the help so far - will have to call FAST TECH

Checked O2 connection - disconnected and reconnected - looked OK

Took the car for a spin. Drives very well and would like to spin the wheels from idle. Pulls strong.

A few light 1/3-1/2 throttle made the tranny downshift very easy - better then before with the Carburetor (Modulator adjustment might be needed ? )

Still no "Learning"

Haven't tested for load and pinging (9 pm in our residential area.......)
    We have a nice wide bridge thats great to pass under doing a launch or kickdown with first time passengers.......... (Roof of of course)

I will post any news

:)

14. A A

A A Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun - and something I used to like doing to passengers. :) Hope FAST can correct the problem. Maybe it's just the handheld learning LED isn't lighting and all else is working.

15. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

:) You never grow to old to have fun.

Sold my first Vette 20 years ago, but now the kids are big and I missed my toy - the new one looks like the old and is less the 500 VIN numbers form the old - pure coincidence.

You might be right about the Handheld LED. ECU is hidden - does it have a learning LED - but still strange???

I have send a mail to TECH HELP and will take the car for a longer drive tomorrow to see how it drives and see if exhaust backfires.

16. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I wonder if the extension COM cable could be the problem?

There are som posts regarding the extension cable.

Thats easy to test and eliminate that as an error..........

17. A A

A A Well-Known Member

No learning LED on the ECU - just test LEDs there. I don't believe it is a COM cable, but anything is possible. My thought is the handheld - the ECU may be learning, with the handheld LED just inoperative. But, it could also be a software glitch in the ECU or handheld. The bad thing is the turn around for these parts is even terrible here in the states. They both have COM ports for reloading the software, but there is no user available software - so they get reprogramed only by FAST. Outside the US, it's probably a good idea to have a spare handheld and ECU - or at least access to some for testing.

I have two running systems, and I can determine what component is giving a problem with a quick part swap. So far, both systems are running flawlessly - but, I did originate and still use the high frequency voltage spike filter capacitor fix. It was the only way to prevent voltage spikes from causing sporadic handheld rebooting and user input data scrambling in the first build. After experiencing that problem in the first build, I installed the fix to the second build before I ever started the engine with that one. So, I don't know if the second install even needed the filter.

I don't believe you have voltage spike problem - or you would have been complaining of the handheld rebooting and seeing corrupted data in the "Engine Parameters" screen.

18. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

One can only fear that it will be a lost driving season.....

Will see if I can locate test units somewhere from another car.....

19. A A

A A Well-Known Member

"lost driving season" No, no, nooooo! I'm too old, myself, to lose out on any driving time! We only have so long we can enjoy driving fun - and I want every minute I have left. Here's wishing you some good luck.

20. Pfingstl

Pfingstl Member

I have now done several trips, but still no "Learning".....

Changed idle to 700. Better

Car seem's to drive OK. A bit of "rumble" in the exhaust when you take the foot of the gas pedal when driving???? - any way to reduce that?

Sometimes the A/F shows +15 when cruising?? (Target A/F shows the correct standard number)

Pulls well and no pinging when you floor it.

FAST Tech wrote back regarding the "not Learning": "Numbers look fine, Voltage seems low" (Well at idle it usually is). Handheld connection loss - "please check for bend pins"...................

P.S. Had the Vintage Air system charged this weekend. Nice cold air even with Tops of and +80 Degrees outside. Would be nice to set IDLE w/Aircon and some FAN control w/Aircon. I find the idle with Aircon to high.

Rgds

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016